Aircraft Bomb Loader

letsgobrowns82

This is Verlinden's 1/48 USAF Bomb Loader. This was really a pain to build. Its all resin and it's full of tiny peices with poor directions. But I'm happy with how it came out. After finally getting it all together I really had a lot of fun weathering it. I probably will add a few more finishing touches to it but nothing major. I'm not sure how I will use it yet either because I dont see it having a use with my Aggressor. Oh and I know that Aim-9 Missiles are loaded by hand but I just put it on there because it looked good.

[attachment deleted by admin]

That is awesome. Don't think I've ever seen that before! Nice work on it!
Do they make that loader in all scales?

NICE! I use to drive those things way back in 1983-5, Jammers are what we called them. You sat behind the drive and steering wheels and turning was a trip because your timing was all off.

If you want to display it accurately, put something heavier than a AIM9 on it. AIM9s are loaded by hand as they are not VERY heavy. (if loading procedures have changed since the 30 freakin' years since I was in, I'll gladdly stand corrected ;) )

Paint and weathering looks great. The area around the exhaust would be red.

Moon Puppy said:
NICE! I use to drive those things way back in 1983-5, Jammers are what we called them. You sat behind the drive and steering wheels and turning was a trip because your timing was all off.

If you want to display it accurately, put something heavier than a AIM9 on it. AIM9s are loaded by hand as they are not VERY heavy. (if loading procedures have changed since the 30 freakin' years since I was in, I'll gladdly stand corrected ;) )

Paint and weathering looks great. The area around the exhaust would be red.
Thanks! Yeah there still called jammers. I was a weapons troop in the Air Force from 2001-2007. They were really fun to drive since they were real wheel drive. Oh and your right Aim-9's are loaded by hand but that was all I had to throw on it at the time. I am thinking about using it in a diorama later on. I have a ground crew set by Hasegawa and I was thinking of trying to find a weapons trailer like what the "ammo" guess would deliver munitions with. That way I could recreate a scene with a jet being loaded with all the AGE equipment around.

Myke said:
That is awesome. Don't think I've ever seen that before! Nice work on it!
Do they make that loader in all scales?
Thank you, Im not sure because for the most part I stick to the 1/48th world. I found it on Megahobby.com under the Aircraft Diorama Detail's link. I did a quick search on google of Verlinden Bomb Loader and all that came up was the 1/48th. Hope that helps and thanks again.

letsgobrowns82 said:
Thanks! Yeah there still called jammers. I was a weapons troop in the Air Force from 2001-2007.

Really! Were you a loader? I was stationed at Grand Forks AFB...brrr man!!

Loaded nukes on B52s till I got out in '85.

Moon Puppy said:
letsgobrowns82 said:
Thanks! Yeah there still called jammers. I was a weapons troop in the Air Force from 2001-2007.

Yeah I was. Thats awesome I worked on the B-52 as well, I was stationed at Barksdale LA, Kunsan South Korea, Kadena Japan, and Diego Garcia when the war kicked off. It was a fun 6 and a 1/2 years but I decided to get out and start a family. I suppose thats why I like building Aircrafts so much. I just wish I could find a 1/48 scale B-52 to build with some Barksdale decals.

fumblethumbs said:
Great job Brownie. The figure looks very well painted too!
Thanks, I had fun painting him up. I have a bunch more figures from my ground crew kit. They are really like instant gratification. I'm used to spending months on a kit so to bang out a figure in a day is a lot of fun.

letsgobrowns82 said:
Moon Puppy said:
letsgobrowns82 said:

Yeah I was. Thats awesome I worked on the B-52 as well, I was stationed at Barksdale LA, Kunsan South Korea, Kadena Japan, and Diego Garcia when the war kicked off. It was a fun 6 and a 1/2 years but I decided to get out and start a family. I suppose thats why I like building Aircrafts so much. I just wish I could find a 1/48 scale B-52 to build with some Barksdale decals.

Well how about that, another knuckledragger..Keep a look out for a modeler name Harv, or Dirtball. He was a 462 bomb loader from the late 60s era loading D models out of Guam. He's got some pictures of him driving a jammer and loading hard bombs on those clip in racks. Shoot, probably the same racks you loaded on...

Yeah I couldn't get out of Grand Forks, CO said something about my piss poor attitude and always instigating trouble in the barracks, don't know what he was talking about...the putz... ;D

You want a 1:48 Buff??? Dude, I just build that 1:48 Bone, I would hate to see a Buff that big.

Well how about that, another knuckledragger..Keep a look out for a modeler name Harv, or Dirtball. He was a 462 bomb loader from the late 60s era loading D models out of Guam. He's got some pictures of him driving a jammer and loading hard bombs on those clip in racks. Shoot, probably the same racks you loaded on...

Yeah I couldn't get out of Grand Forks, CO said something about my piss poor attitude and always instigating trouble in the barracks, don't know what he was talking about...the putz... ;D

You want a 1:48 Buff??? Dude, I just build that 1:48 Bone, I would hate to see a Buff that big.
[/quote]
Yep I remember those racks. B-11 bomb shackles, they could hold a up to 500 hundred pounds and were all mechanical. They've been using those since WWII I believe, amazing really. Oh yeah and now weapons guys are 2W1's. They change the AFSC designators for all the career fields so no more 462.

letsgobrowns82 said:
Yep I remember those racks. B-11 bomb shackles, they could hold a up to 500 hundred pounds and were all mechanical. They've been using those since WWII I believe, amazing really. Oh yeah and now weapons guys are 2W1's. They change the AFSC designators for all the career fields so no more 462.

I knew they changed it just didn't know what to.

funny thing about those shackles.

Back in mid-late 80s, Sentimental Journey flew into town. I saw them buzzin' down town and followed them out to the airport to see them land. The next day we went out to check it out closer. Of course the first thing I did was check out the bomb bay. Low and behold there was the release mechanism and shackles used on the B52. I asked James Stewart(not the movie star), the commander, if he realized it was the same hardware. He said "no...But you know what, if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Made me wonder how much more WW2 hardware was used on the BUFF.

Latest posts

Back