WWII Pacific Navy aircraft in 1/72

blakeh1

Having nearly completed the Trumpeter 1/700 USS Yorktown it kind of stoked my desire for kits of the aircraft
(I still have more aircraft and some touch up paint for some of the added guns/antenna and flight deck)

PB291814-2.JPGPB291802.JPG
PB291817-2.JPG

At any rate, I searched for proper kits of the various aircraft used, and so I have these so far in 1/72

Tamiya F4U-Corsair
Academy F6-3/5
Academy TBF-1
two Academy SB2C-4
Flyhawk 1/72 SBD-3 Dauntless

on a side note, I find it disappointing that none of these kits except the TBF one came with a pilot, and even then the TBF only had the pilot, no turret gunner or even a third man

I prefer doing the aircraft in flight instead of landed. I figured I would save the landed/parked ones for larger scales like 1/48 or even 1/32 as details are better and you get options for folded wings etc...

I did find an stl of a pilot and have printed out a bunch

Up first, I built the Academy F6 as the 3 version using the USS Yorktown markings (you have a choice of building as a 3 or 5, but since the Yorktown scheme was for the 3 I went with it)

I used Vallejo WWII Navy paint set for the various colors

PB221774-1.JPGPB221777-2.JPG

following that is the TBF-1. There were some fit issues, especially with the canopy and fuselage, and the details aren't great, but it is what it is
On the plus side, it was the only kit with a stand and pilot and option to build in flight

I used the USS Bunker Hill scheme as I liked the distinctive yellow cowling that they had, plus that was the only option for the kits decals
I still need to add the antenna wires though

PB221785-2.JPG
PB221786-2.JPG

Next is the Tamiya F4U Corsair. I did this as the USS Bunker Hill markings (the other option was for a Marines one)
since I had the TBF in those markings I figured he needed some fighter cover

The Tamiya kit is far superior to the old Academy ones in both detail and engineering, but still lacked and easy way to build in flight without modifying the landing bay doors. Also the decals in the Academy kit were actually better. The Tamiya ones are a bit thick and also the national insignias were out of register and you can see some white around the edges

I still have to add the rocket pods though and try to fade/weather the decals a bit better

I also want to add "blur" props for all the kits, but have to figure out a good source for those or way of making my own

PB221780-1.JPG
PB221781-1.JPG
PB221784.JPG

On the bench still are the Academy Helldivers and the Flyhawk Dauntless

1701291415524.png

1701291365799.png

both those kits are incredible detail wise, even better than the Tamiya Corsair

both kits also have photo-etch for the dive brakes as well as the ability to pose the canopies in their open states and the Flyhawk one even has masks for the canopies!

Wish more companies would include paint masks, even if it is a few extra dollars tacked on

Nice little builds! They'll make a cool display with the Fighting Lady.

By the way, the Hellcat is the F6F. In the Navy's old system, that was F for fighter, 6 for the sixth fighter from the manufacturer, F for Grumman. A dash and number after that meant the mark or model number of that design, eg, "-3" would be the 3rd mark of a particular aircraft.
Why they did it that way, only those long-deceased BuAer officers know.

Nice little builds! They'll make a cool display with the Fighting Lady.

By the way, the Hellcat is the F6F. In the Navy's old system, that was F for fighter, 6 for the sixth fighter from the manufacturer, F for Grumman. A dash and number after that meant the mark or model number of that design, eg, "-3" would be the 3rd mark of a particular aircraft.
Why they did it that way, only those long-deceased BuAer officers know.

ah, your right, I forgot the "F", thanks!

I'm curious to see the Flyhawk Dauntless when you've finished it. I've never seen that particular kit before.

Next is the Tamiya F4U Corsair. I did this as the USS Bunker Hill markings (the other option was for a Marines one)
since I had the TBF in those markings I figured he needed some fighter cover

The Tamiya kit is far superior to the old Academy ones in both detail and engineering, but still lacked and easy way to build in flight without modifying the landing bay doors. Also the decals in the Academy kit were actually better. The Tamiya ones are a bit thick and also the national insignias were out of register and you can see some white around the edges

I still have to add the rocket pods though and try to fade/weather the decals a bit better

I also want to add "blur" props for all the kits, but have to figure out a good source for those or way of making my own

View attachment 109596
View attachment 109597
View attachment 109599
What color did you use for the main body? the kit says AS-8. but I have been trying to find a good acrylic alternative.

Back at it with the Academy Helldiver. Unlike the previous posts, I will try to show more of the build process in case anyone is interested in picking up these kits

The interior is nicely detailed for a 1/72 kit, on the level of some of the better Tamiya stuff

1712354747451.png

The photoetch is including in the kit (at least the Operation Iceberg special edition)

Although the dive brakes were quite complicated to assemble considering the size of some of the parts. I had to wind up scraping a few details, but hopefully not too noticeable

1712354277356.png

this piece in particular which you have to glue on to the edge was very frustrating to work with, but this wasn't even the smallest or fragile bit

I learned I need a better set of snips for small stuff like this as trying to cut out with a #11 blade just does not cut it, literally

1712354432854.png

in the end I am glad I made the attempt. Not perfect, but looks pretty cool nonetheless

1712355166170.png

loosely dry fitted so ignore the gap, that will be gone once I do a bit of fine sanding to fit better and then glue in place

You have to cut off the plastic molded dive brakes from the upper and lower wings halves if you go the with the photo-etch

1712354917762.png

1712353837653.png

Latest posts

Back