Airbrushing Vallejo Transparent colors ?

panzerace007

Hey everybody ,

I had originally gone to th LHS to get some Tamiya Trans. Yellow, but they were out. So I picked up th Vallejo on a whim.

Can I shoot this straight out of th Bottle ?

Any special notes I should know about ??

Should I use an Acrylic Gloss as a primer ?

Thanx in Advance !

ERIK

The Vallejo Transparents seem to be thinner than the regular Model Color paints, but I am not sure if they would airbrush straight from the bottle or not, as I haven't tried them yet. If anything starting out, I would add some thinner to them just to be sure...but doubt you would have to add as much. Try it out on a test piece.

I have often wondered if they could be used like a candy.

Maybe someone like Chris S can tell me (us) if there is any difference between a Candy and a Transparent, as I have no idea, and both look to be the same and do the same thing. Might get me off my butt to try some of the real flame paint jobs out on a 1/25 car or truck. Would love to do some blue flaming skulls down the side of the Moebius Lonestar, it just seems like a perfect "pallet" for a paint job like that!

i just got me some tamiya blue orange and smoke in the post today :) never new vellajo made them.

I've got Vallejo transparents from the ModelColor line and they AB just fine strait from the bottle. Typicaly I use them to tint clear parts and it works excellent for that. Just be sure to build it up slooowwwly with many light passes, even pausing for a few seconds between passes to give it a chance to skin over, just to make sure you don't overdo it and end up uneven.

Hey GUYS ,

Thanx for clarifying !! It looked right thin in th bottle , so it's good to know it can be thinned. I'll be using it 1st. as a base coat for a new Wood technique ...... Hush Hush !

I was gonna shoot a coat of the Transparent Yellow down & then mist some Tamiya Transparent Orange over it ...... Stay tuned !!

Thanx to everybody for th input !!

SCOTT - I'm lookin forward to that Flame Job. I'll do a lil' test. I'll shoot some AlClad , Black Base , Chrome & then th Vallejo over it .... see if that can give it a Candy appearance ??

I might be too late with posting a comment, I use the Vallejo smoke - I thin it the same as the regular model color paints (approx. 3 thinner : 1 paint, 'ish).

Sounds interesting Erik. Post an sbs once done ild be interested in seeing it., 8)

JMac said:
I thin it the same as the regular model color paints (approx. 3 thinner : 1 paint, 'ish).

Word of caution, with that much thinner medium to transparent paint, be mindful to do only fine coats, otherwise it will crackle on you.

sunsanvil said:
JMac said:
I thin it the same as the regular model color paints (approx. 3 thinner : 1 paint, 'ish).

Word of caution, with that much thinner medium to transparent paint, be mindful to do only fine coats, otherwise it will crackle on you.

I will. I go slowly with very light coats (mainly to avoid the paint running). Keep in mind I've only used the smoke colour - other colours may give grief when thinned down that much. But I was a having consistent flow blockages in the AB nozzle at lower thinner ratios.

Elm City Hobbies said:
I have often wondered if they could be used like a candy.

Maybe someone like Chris S can tell me (us) if there is any difference between a Candy and a Transparent, as I have no idea, and both look to be the same and do the same thing. Might get me off my butt to try some of the real flame paint jobs out on a 1/25 car or truck. Would love to do some blue flaming skulls down the side of the Moebius Lonestar, it just seems like a perfect "pallet" for a paint job like that!

I havent used the Vallejo Transparents so I cant really comment on them .
However ..the idea of a candy is really just a transparent colour over a metallic/metalflake base usually a silver or gold depending on what effect you want . You can put a transaprent coat over other colours of course ,again its just down to what effect you are trying to create .I dont see any problem using the vallejo in that way myself ,and might have a play with it myself sometime ..when I get the time ;)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back