Airbrushing safety question

SrsBidness28

I am a complete beginner with an airbrush, and really want to get one set up in my house. The only place I can find brings up at least one or two questions regarding safety. First, is it safe to airbrush next to the main electrical panel for the house? The only spot that I have any place to set up an airbrush is in my basement, where the panel would be about 12-24 inches from my right shoulder. I have been reading about the fumes on some of the cleaning agents and wondered if this would be a problem.

Second, if the electrical panel is not an issue, the only other thing that causes me concern is that the furnace is about 20 feet the other direction from where the airbrush would be set up.

Can anyone tell me if these represent problems or not, and if so, what can I do to help eliminate them?
Thanks

That really depends on what type of paint you are airbrushing, and if you are extracting the fumes outside or not.

Acrylics like Lifecolor and Vallejo, you would be pretty safe either way, as none of the paints or thinners are flammable/explosive. Acrylics like Tamiya, Gunze, etc, are usually an alcohol based, and while I wouldn't worry too much about the electrical box (unless you mistakenly sprayed right into it, and any wet substance would then be bad for it, doesn't have to be flammable), I would be more worried about the furnace.

Ditto with enamels and lacquers.

You could cure it all by a spray booth extracted outside. Even a home made one would do, as long as it sucked the fumes out of your basement. You can pick up a cheap booth on Amazon for $50 or so, just basically a plastic box with a fan in it, but would still be better than the fumes building up in the basement. The other people in your house would be grateful as well!

Latest posts

Back