Airbrushed model feels rough

red.1

Hi guys,Im new here and new to airbrushing.I have read lots of artticles on airbrushing so have a fair idea of what's the crack.

OK so ive preped my model for painting by washing all the parts with soappy water and dried them off.Sanded to a nice smooth finsh then washed and drieded the surface to a dust free finsh.

Masked up and started to airbrush using hurmbrol enamel 50% and humbrol thinner 50% seamed to be going really good.I put three coats on because it is a big model by the time i had finshed the 1st the 2nd was ready to go on.

I left it overnight to dry,now the finsh feels rough although it looks okay.

Any advice welcome i can add pics to help.

Ricky.

Sounds like the ol' paint drying somewhere between the airbrush and the model surface. The stock answer is to lower your air pressure and get in a little closer, but its been literally a decade+ since I used enamels so I'm sure other here will be able to give more granular advice (no pun intended).

For what its worth I distinctly recall the same results when I used ModelMaster enamels so long ago, although as you say it looked fine, just felt rough to the touch (and by the time the gloss, decals, flat, weathering, more flat, etc was done it was a non issue).

red.1 said:
Hi guys,Im new here and new to airbrushing.I have read lots of artticles on airbrushing so have a fair idea of what's the crack.

OK so ive preped my model for painting by washing all the parts with soappy water and dried them off.Sanded to a nice smooth finsh then washed and drieded the surface to a dust free finsh.

Masked up and started to airbrush using hurmbrol enamel 50% and humbrol thinner 50% seamed to be going really good.I put three coats on because it is a big model by the time i had finshed the 1st the 2nd was ready to go on.

I left it overnight to dry,now the finsh feels rough although it looks okay.

Any advice welcome i can add pics to help.

Ricky.

Try diluting it a bit more... like a 1:2 mix. Test it on something first to get the right mix. Also can try spraying a little closer to the model. If you're too far, the paint is drying before it's hitting the model.

Greetings,

Noticed your post and wanted to tell you that I sometimes have this same problem when spraying MM acrylics. The rough surface is because the paint is drying too fast and is probably almost dry as it reaches the surface of the model. I recently had the same experience with MM acrylics. I did not want to strip the model and start over so I started experimenting. I took a q-tip and started rubbing the surface and found that the q-tip was polishing the bumps down. Then I stuck the q-tip in my mouth and thought some type of lube might work even better. So what the heck, why not good old cheap and plentiful saliva. It worked like a charm. After the surface was polished smooth, I adjusted my thinner/paint/pressure ratio and went over the piece with a light coat. Good as new.

BTW MM acrylic tastes pretty good too!!! (just kidding)

cbreeze

Latest posts

Back