Airbrush woes at altitude

Cave_Dweller

So, I live at 8500 ft above sea level (colorado) and I've always had issues with paint drying very fast with brush painting techniques. I paint a lot of miniatures and use a lot of fine tipped brushes with minimal amounts of very thinned paints. Sometimes paint dries in less and a minute on those fine brushes and its a constant battle to keep things wet.

Now I'm getting into airbrushes, and I have a badger patriot 105 which has been very nice so far. But during the last few sessions with it, I noticed my paint was spattering all over my model after only a few minutes and eventually paint started bubbling in the cup. Upon inspection I noticed the tip of the airbrush was caked over with a thick layer of dried paint.

So I took the brush apart and found the bottom of the cup was clogged, as well as the nozzle parts the needle goes through. This happens after only a few minutes of brushing on several occasions.

I've been using a variety of paints including tamiya, citadel, Vallejo and testors. All acrylics. I use tamiya x20a thinner for all of these paints and try to get them at a consistency similar to 2% milk.

This is obviously quite frustrating and I'm wondering what else to try. Paint dries extremely fast at this altitude and I had thought the x20a was a retardant, that would slow paint drying times. I've had great results with it in my brush painting, although as I mentioned it is always a battle to keep brushes from drying too fast.

Any advice?

I have the official badger airbrush cleaner solvent, but what else should I be using to clean my brush?

Thanks!

X20 won't work with Vallejo paints, as they aren't the same base, and if you tried using it in your airbrush that way, it would likely turn it into a curdled mess. Just not compatible.

For Vallejo, use their own thinner, as it is formulated for their paint.

Sounds like you need a bit of retarder in your paint, more than what the various thinners have in them. Only way to keep them from drying too fast.

Thin your Vallejo with their Glaze Medium. It is very similar in consistency to their original thinner (not the "new" solvent based one) and will extend the dry/cure time immensely.

You might also try lowering the temperature in the room a little.

Have you tried enamels thinned with White spirit ? ,it will certainly give you a lot more time to work than any of the acrylics ,bit smelly tho .

Chris.

I haven't tried enamels yet. Mainly going to stick to acrylics due to fume issues. I don't have a proper vent hood. So far acrylics haven proven difficult to say the least. Paint just dries out so damn fast up here on the mountain.

Latest posts

Back