Aces Canopy Jobs!

13aceofspades13

lets kick some tires and lights some fires!
this is where this goes right? it says construction and lighting, so here you go guys, a brand new video, on the construction portion, attaching canopies to your scale model airplanes with Testors plastic cement and a old paint brush!

Canopy Job

look like chewbaka beacuse the humidity frilled up my hair! no orange hat today, too hot!

Actually one of the best "glues" to use for canopies like that, is sitting right on your desk.

And no I don't mean the POS Testors tube glue, but the bottle of Future (Pledge with Future, or whatever it is being called these days).

Same technique, paint it on the plastic where the canopy sits, then put on the canopy, and let dry. No fuss, no muss, and best of all...if you use too much or some squirts out, clean up with windex, and no marred fuselage or clear canopy parts.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Actually one of the best "glues" to use for canopies like that, is sitting right on your desk.

And no I don't mean the POS Testors tube glue, but the bottle of Future (Pledge with Future, or whatever it is being called these days).

Same technique, paint it on the plastic where the canopy sits, then put on the canopy, and let dry. No fuss, no muss, and best of all...if you use too much or some squirts out, clean up with windex, and no marred fuselage or clear canopy parts.

i know you are not dissing my idea, yea Future works good too, i noticed people using that quite frequently for canopy adhesion, brush and stick! i mean you don't need a super strong stick, and Future actually makes most canopies stick really good. best part is there is no messing up the canopy with it beacuse it goes on completely clear! but i like this method best, its very sturdy, once it dries really good, it sticks really nice, i have not had issues with this technique, as long as the surface where the glue is being applied is clean plastic, so there is something to stick, it works really well!

thanks guys, hope this comes in handy for you guys some time, but remember, always make sure your canopy fits really well before installation, and make sure its got a nice clean surface to stick too!

Nope, not dissing your method at all...just dissing Testors tube glue.

If you mess up....it is game over, marred canopy and/or paint job on your kit.

With the future...even if you do mess up....it can be "unstuck" from the kit easily, clean up with windex and start over, with no damage to the canopy or the paintwork, as well, the bond doesn't have to be between bare plastic for a strong bond, as it makes no difference with the Future what the surface is.

And one last thing, instead of painting on the future, and then sticking the canopy, you can take the canopy and sit it in place, and with a small brush, pick up some Future, and just touch it to the joint between the fuselage and canopy. Capillary action will suck the Future from the brush into the joint, and viola...you are done.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Nope, not dissing your method at all...just dissing Testors tube glue.

If you mess up....it is game over, marred canopy and/or paint job on your kit.

With the future...even if you do mess up....it can be "unstuck" from the kit easily, clean up with windex and start over, with no damage to the canopy or the paintwork, as well, the bond doesn't have to be between bare plastic for a strong bond, as it makes no difference with the Future what the surface is.

And one last thing, instead of painting on the future, and then sticking the canopy, you can take the canopy and sit it in place, and with a small brush, pick up some Future, and just touch it to the joint between the fuselage and canopy. Capillary action will suck the Future from the brush into the joint, and viola...you are done.

yes, Testors tube glue is not the best especially for the canopy, i could easily do the Future canopy method, but as for other adhesives... Testors tubed glue is what i have acess too, i don't have much money, and i don't have a hobby store anywhere near me to get Tamiya cement, or Tamiya thin cement. what i like about my method is it holds the canopy on really strong, and if you dont like it if you did not goop on the glue really thick, the canopy can easily be removed, thats what i did with the Tee bird P-51D, the original frontal fixed part of the canopy was smudged with paint beacuse of my rushed paint job, carefully removed it, cleaned the mating surfaces, prepped the canopies for installation, brushed the testers glue on, applied canopy.

i havent seen the video (blocked at work) but i use testor window maker to glue my canopies as t will fix any gaps in the process. (real useful for the Revell B-25J nose)

Well, I use Vallejos Matt Varnish to glue the Canopy, thats very easy and there arent any acrid fumes, which can cloud the clear plastic

Hey, Ace, thanks for sharing the video!

I use a method similar to yours--I use Testor's tube glue, too, loud 'n' proud! ;D I like the fact that it doesn't set right away, and doesn't flow all over the place, so there's more control. But I use toothpicks to apply it, usually to the fuselage, and then place the canopy piece into position.

Not to pooh-pooh liquid cements-I use Plastruct's Bondene and Weldene, but in other applications.

As to using Future, I prefer the styrene cement in this application, because of the bond/weld between the two parts, which you don't get with a liquid acrylic.

Thanx for the advice.
I never knew about Future (floor wax)?
I use Ambroid "Pro-weld" or the Plastruct.
Good stuff, but sometimes it would be handy to have 3 hands. :) two to hold the parts together, and another to apply the glue. Mostly cuz it can dry rather quickly. But it uses the capillary action as well.
;D

Latest posts

Back