Academy 1/35 M113, Portuguese BiMec APC

Ravhin

And in a departure from my usual sci-fi I have started the Academy 1/35th scale M113, building it as a car used in the BIMEC - Batalhão de Infantaria Mecanizado of the Portuguese army.

I'm doing this build in the context of a course promoted by a LHS, http://www.greenmodels.net/ , whose main purpose is to focus on the nuances of Portuguese material.

The Academy kit is very complete, with loads of parts and full interior, but for this build I decided not to do any interior, focusing solely in the exterior of the car. Cross referencing the manual and the pictures of the car I'm building, most of the parts are included, even if not referenced in the manual, with the exception of the grenade launchers which will have to be made from scratch.

The building is now almost complete missing only the antena and AK optics which will be added after the top coat. Paint has also started having the car primed in Vallejo black primer.

(warning: The pics may look awful in some monitors specially laptop ones. They looked good in my monitor but when I checked them in my work's laptop they where far darker and with a considerable loss of contrast. I fixed this by calibrating the monitor but I guess not everyone will be doing that :p)

20130202_m113-tuga_0001.jpg

This is a very different kind of build from what I'm used to, being that I can actually see how the model looks before painting. I like that very much. When building gundams or the likes, I do find it a bit unmotivating at times that you must have almost all the work done before you see it taking shape.

20130202_m113-tuga_0002.jpg

The kit is somewhat old (some 20 years), and though I don't know if it's still a trend on more modern tools, it has a ton of mould lines and ejector pin marks everywhere Even without the interior it still took me some 15-20 hours just to put it together. I do hope that more modern kits don't have so much of these problems.

20130202_m113-tuga_0003.jpg

The fit is nice, and didn't gave me much trouble, with the exception of the front cover which was a paint to put in place. Another person in the same course did have problems in the back of the car due to warping in the chassis, but in 5 kits that was the only one with that issue.

20130202_m113-tuga_0004.jpg

Not a lot of putty was needed, except in the commander's cupola periscopes which has some nasty sink marks, and a couple of ejector marks here and there. Nothing some Mr Dissolved Putty couldn't fix.

20130202_m113-tuga_0005.jpg

The wheels are already painted in the colour of the car using a colour from a zmodels paint set specifically made for Portuguese armour. The rubber was then hand brushed with Vallejo black.

20130202_m113-tuga_0007.jpg

The tracks included in the kit are really bad. It does bring two options, rubber, which are awful and not accurate, as well as individual links which all have 5 points to clean up plus other accuracy issues. In the end I went with AFV rubber tracks which are much more accurate than the ones that come in the kit.
They where first painted with Tamiya flat brown and then the rubber pads where hand brushed with Vallejo black.

20130202_m113-tuga_0006.jpg

And this is it for now. For my first experience in building armour I'm enjoying myself very much. It will certainly not be the last.

wow youre doing well for your first armor build!

i have my monitor calibrated for photography and your photos are perfectly fine (maybe a little dark in some). its true that many older kits have quite a number of flaws in the parts, but you'll find less in newer kits.

havent long built this kit it goes together real nice as you are showing...doing a superb job and your out of your comfort zone

andrei383 said:
wow youre doing well for your first armor build!

i have my monitor calibrated for photography and your photos are perfectly fine (maybe a little dark in some). its true that many older kits have quite a number of flaws in the parts, but you'll find less in newer kits.

Thank you. I'll just have to build newer and older ones to compare them all then :D

wyoroy said:
Looks good. I like the look of your tracks.

Thank you. Too bad most of the paint came off when I was trying to put em in the car :p Will have to retouch them .

geegad said:
havent long built this kit it goes together real nice as you are showing...doing a superb job and your out of your comfort zone

Comfort zones are meant to be exited from :D Thank you.

Jose Luis Lopez said:
Nice subject .... nice pictures!

Thank you :)

spud said:
Nice start Ravhin

Thanks Spud :)

20130211_m113-tuga_0001.jpg

And after a bit more work on this kit representing the BiMec 403 car, I got it to look a bit like the real deal.

20130211_m113-tuga_0002.jpg

After painting the base colour with ZModels Olive green I added the markings. Some of the decals didn't turn out that good, with some silvering here and there. I am not completely pissed with it because the real car actually shows some as well, it seams some of the markings are stickers. Still I'll have to cut some more of the transparent film next time.

20130211_m113-tuga_0003.jpg

For the optics I painted the infra-red ones with Tamiya gloss black and used AK 2.3 mm optics for the others. It's a simple addition but it really gives a nice look.

20130211_m113-tuga_0004.jpg

With the markings in place time for some Tamiya flat clear to cut some of the shine. After drying I gave it a good wash of burnt umber. It's somewhat discreet but you can see some dirt where the wash accumulated. I kinda like the effect.

20130211_m113-tuga_0005.jpg

Time now to paint some more bits and bobs like the stop light and the tracks in the front as well as the periscopes. At my eyes at the time they looked fine but seeing the pictures I noticed that I definitely should have made a better work out of them.

20130211_m113-tuga_0006.jpg

Previously I had also added some photo-etch to the engine grills on top. Again it is a simple addition that gives an instant boost to the looks of the model.

20130211_m113-tuga_0007.jpg

With most of the painting done it was now a matter of adding a couple more touches by drilling the machine gun nozzle and making an antennae with stretched sprue.

20130211_m113-tuga_0008.jpg

It's almost done. I plan on adding just a touch more wear with some more oils and pigments as well as making a small terrain.

wyoroy said:
It looks fantastic. Anything on the inside?

Due to time constraints the interior is all in the sprues. I got a ton of leftover parts for future projects :)

Waw thats really nice!!!
What'd is you use or how did you make the head lights look so good?

Zappa

andrei383 said:
really awesome work Ravhin!

Thanks :) There are a lot of flaws though, some easier to see than others. I'll just have to keep making models until they are perfect, which should take a very long time :p

zappa said:
Waw thats really nice!!!
What'd is you use or how did you make the head lights look so good?

Zappa

Thanks. The headlights where bored out then I added ak interactive lenses. They do look pretty good.

spud said:
very nice, it will be sweet all weathered up

Thanks. I will not be weathering him too much, just a bit of dust here and there. I'm trying to go with the look the car has when he goes on parade for Portugal National holiday, which is pretty much the most action these cars see :p

Another question :p, did you put a little piece of plastic clear (painted blue transparant)for the periscopes?

Zappa

FYI when I served on M113s in germany and they were painted in the NATO caom. The paint was very faded, it had a almost dusty look. When not in the field we had to wash them all the time ::) remember, they were always exposed to the elements sitting in the tank park. Even when we got our M2A2s it didn't take long for the paint to start to fade on them.

zappa said:
Another question :p, did you put a little piece of plastic clear (painted blue transparant)for the periscopes?

Zappa

Nope, I used Vallejo Periscope blue with tamiya smoke on top. Not perfectly hand brushed but at a distance it looks nice :p

wyoroy said:
FYI when I served on M113s in germany and they were painted in the NATO caom. The paint was very faded, it had a almost dusty look. When not in the field we had to wash them all the time ::) remember, they were always exposed to the elements sitting in the tank park. Even when we got our M2A2s it didn't take long for the paint to start to fade on them.

I got some photos of some of our M113 in that condition yes, but when they are brought to the parade they are painted fresh and those are the only photo of this particular car that I could get. Unfortunately I couldn't post the pics here without adding a massive watermark at the owners request :)

I did try to add a little bit of fading but that didn't work out very well so I scrapped it :( . I'll have to pick something out to try heavy weathering, next time.

This guy has been finished for a while but unfortunately free time has been sparse. Regardless here he is all finished up.

Not much has changed from last time, he just got a little dust and a terrain. Some things could have been done better, like the decals and the weathering, but I'm calling this one done and get on with the next. For my first armour kit it was a great experience and it thought me a great deal.

I'll definitely be building more, but for now enjoy the pics :)

20130408_m113_tuga_0001.jpg

20130408_m113_tuga_0002.jpg

20130408_m113_tuga_0003.jpg

20130408_m113_tuga_0004.jpg

20130408_m113_tuga_0005.jpg

20130408_m113_tuga_0006.jpg

20130408_m113_tuga_0007.jpg

20130408_m113_tuga_0008.jpg

Latest posts

Back