About Respirators

CY343491

Do you use respirators while spraying, which one do you use? I've ordered Rhino M101, do you have any comments about it?

Yes, and it depends on what you’re spraying.

If spraying water based acrylics such as Vallejo, AK 3rd Gen, AMMO etc. a P100 rated filter is sufficient, such as the 3M 2091 on 3M 6000 or 7000 series respirators. A 2097 adds minor OV filtering. There are also smaller N95 style masks such as the RZ M1 and M2. Anything that will filter out airborne particulates is sufficient.

If spraying alcohol based acrylics like Tamiya X/XP or Mr. Hobby, lacquers like Mr. Color, AK Real Color, Tamiya LP, SMS, MRP or enamels like AK Extreme Metals, Tamiya Enamels, Alclad Metals, Humbrol or Testors I use 3M 60926 filter cartridges on a 3M 6300 series respirator. The 60926 filter is a P100 stacked on an additional carbon filter that‘s proof against VOCs or volatile organic compounds, acid gases, chlorine and formaldehyde. The 60923 and 60921 are sufficient as well but I can get the 60926 for the same price so I take the added protection. It’s important to store this mask with cartridges in a large ziplock bag or airtight container as the carbon filters are always removing VOCs from the air just by being exposed to it. If you keep giving them fresh air then their lifespan will be shortened significantly.

This isn’t something I screw around with, especially with lacquers. And if you get into spraying 2K clears on say model cars…well, we used to spray clears in the body shop that have isocyanates in them and wore supplied oxygen to do it - I watched a guy almost die once from walking into a room we had just sprayed in.

Of course any spraying I do indoors is complemented by a spraybooth that exhausts to the outside. This is important to keep the (paint) dust level down in the air or on every horizontal surface and in the case of alcohol acrylics, lacquers or enamels harmful VOCs out of air for those who live with me. And you really need to keep it on for a little while after spraying because your model is outgassing, and even the spraybooth filter is outgassing from having those chemicals sprayed at it.

I have a fairly powerful spraybooth exhaust fan, but even so without the mask I can generate a cloud of fumes that isn’t immediately sucked up by the spraybooth, so a proper mask is required.

Latest posts

Back