A tale of two A-wings.....

Which color should I use for the large versions engines?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May be a hiccup in the latest version of Firefox, Youli.
Been having problems on the Youtube site since the upgrade myself.

Use Chrome mostly now, though. And have no issues

I'm running Firefox 10.0, the latest version. It's working fine for me.

YOULI, perhaps try updating Adobe Flash?

Grendels, great vid. :)

There is a problem on YouTubes end of things. The video I posted here is from the popout. It is not the usual YouTube video. That is why it looks funny, you are not suppose to embed this kind of link, it is designed for a new window by itself.

In other words, I found a work around to get it to work on this site.

If you go to my channel and try to view it, you can't. It won't load. Today, this video has only had 40 views. Typically by now I have had a couple hundred. So until YouTube fixes this situation, I don't know if I am going to upload any more videos.

Darth Vader whipping : "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo......."'

YOULI said:
Darth Vader whipping : "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo......."'

I am still making the videos, just not uploading until it gets fixed. Hopefully soon!

Hum... Youtube informed me that thay were acting under new policies with GOOGLE.
It seems that all the problems we've got watching your videos match the period they wated us to read and agreed those policies, don't you think ?

YOULI said:
Hum... Youtube informed me that thay were acting under new policies with GOOGLE.
It seems that all the problems we've got watching your videos match the period they wated us to read and agreed those policies, don't you think ?

I don't think so. I think that it had something to do with one of the videos I uploaded. And from that point on, none of them will play.

I am going to make a video about it later today and upload it.

Excellent video i would pick up the tamiya scriber also
if i could get it vertical like the Exacto knife. The best tool
for scribing will be the one that works for you, not the
"OTHER GUY" LOL

The plastic cutter is just that i don't think you can change the blade.
i bring mine when i pick up a 4x8 piece of styrene i score it with that
cutter and then snap it to get it in the car. That's the only time it comes out of
my box. If you want a finer line and feel like using the xacto knife try the smaller
#11 blade in the smaller body knife.

Oh G also i know what you mean about the sanding off the ridge on each side
using the exacto.....if your in a pinch and have to use the exacto, a quick solution
to sanding is to use a Sharp registration sticker remover. It will curl and remove the ridge
on each side of the scribed line. Practice on scrap and remember to slow down when you
get to intersecting lines.It's better to stop and replace the blade down on the next line.

Inspired by your builds I recently picked up the mpc a-wing on ebay. I want to model this in flight. Any suggestions on where I might find a 1/55 pilot?

Jamaicanmodels69 said:
Excellent video i would pick up the tamiya scriber also
if i could get it vertical like the Exacto knife. The best tool
for scribing will be the one that works for you, not the
"OTHER GUY" LOL

The plastic cutter is just that i don't think you can change the blade.
i bring mine when i pick up a 4x8 piece of styrene i score it with that
cutter and then snap it to get it in the car. That's the only time it comes out of
my box. If you want a finer line and feel like using the xacto knife try the smaller
#11 blade in the smaller body knife.

Oh G also i know what you mean about the sanding off the ridge on each side
using the exacto.....if your in a pinch and have to use the exacto, a quick solution
to sanding is to use a Sharp registration sticker remover. It will curl and remove the ridge
on each side of the scribed line. Practice on scrap and remember to slow down when you
get to intersecting lines.It's better to stop and replace the blade down on the next line.

I have learned that there is room for most of these tools. When I was working on the Falcon, I couldn't get to parts of it with either the Tamiya tool, or the exacto knife. (I tried both of these first.) I had to use the dental pick.

I threw out the plastic cutter. But before I did, I figured out how to change the blade. Too much work when you look at both the exacto knife and the Tamiya tool. They work very well, and the Tamiya tool cost about the same.

I will keep your other tips in mind when scribing in the future. I am also going to get some sheet styrene and just practice a bit.

noc5659 said:
Inspired by your builds I recently picked up the mpc a-wing on ebay. I want to model this in flight. Any suggestions on where I might find a 1/55 pilot?

I am not sure where you can get a 1/55 pilot. When I am looking for something like that I usually use either Google or ebay to try and find one.

FOr this kind of scale, just check out TOYS.
1/55 is almost 1/60, therefore the scale of most of miniatures cars toys, and even if there is but figures in a dynamic position, standing, maybe you can find some figures siting IN a car for example.
Some old model kits are not in the right scale so check out that too.

UltimatlyIMHO, I'd choose to modify what i've got in hands :D Green stuff is the solution. :D

Hey, thanks for a great review on scribing tools, G!
I've been considering taking a Tamiya scriber for a some time, and now I think I'm going to go and get one. There is a couple of models in my stash I've been keeping unbuilt being scared of lots of scribing, maybe with proper tooling that won't be so scary ;D

Great reviews, Grendels. You have a way of making me go out and buy new gadgets, but on this occassion, I'm sticking with my Bare metal scribing tool.

Now on the other hand, laser guided scissors......

;D

Don't think it's the same quality than Tamiya but I bought a scribbing tools from TRUMPETER, 6 or 8 euros, don't remember. Quite happy with it. But it's not retractable, and you cannot change the blades.

Solander said:
Hey, thanks for a great review on scribing tools, G!
I've been considering taking a Tamiya scriber for a some time, and now I think I'm going to go and get one. There is a couple of models in my stash I've been keeping unbuilt being scared of lots of scribing, maybe with proper tooling that won't be so scary ;D

It is a nice tool, but keep in mind it won't work for everything. When I did some detail work on the MF, I had to use a dental pick. The Tamiya scriber wouldn't fit in the areas where I was scribing.

But yes with a proper tool it isn't so scary. One thing, do pay attention to Jamaican's advice. It is very good!

And pick up some styrene sheets to practice with. I didn't do that, and now I have to fix some mistakes.

Igard said:
Great reviews, Grendels. You have a way of making me go out and buy new gadgets, but on this occassion, I'm sticking with my Bare metal scribing tool.

Now on the other hand, laser guided scissors......

;D

You mean these?

IMG_0567.jpgIMG_0570.jpg

;)

Grendels said:
You mean these?

I think I'd better order 2. Never hurts to have a backup pair, right? ;D

PS, I'm only joking, I actually think they look pretty useless if I'm honest. They do look cool though. :)

Igard said:
Grendels said:
You mean these?

I think I'd better order 2. Never hurts to have a backup pair, right? ;D

PS, I'm only joking, I actually think they look pretty useless if I'm honest. They do look cool though. :)

I took them to work yesterday and that is the exact same thing everyone said. Useless, but cool.

I clearly understand for whom this was initially designed:
for same super-lazy guys as me.
I'm always to lazy to get my *** up and take to steps to gather a ruler, and with my bad eye i constantly and up with arcs instead of straight lines.

Latest posts

Back