A tale of two A-wings.....

Which color should I use for the large versions engines?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just having a nice little catch up on this tonight G. You have things progressing nicely. I think the lights in the cans look plenty bright for that size of ship. Never thought of keeping the led cutoffs for spares...Good thinking!

I am saving them for the falcon. There will be an update to her in the next few days, probably on Monday. I think they will work well in the little round inserts in the body of the ship.

I'm enjoying your work I really liked the ingenuity with the smaller engine cans and not needing shrink rap. I will keep watching with great interest and intrigue.

DB88

Thanks Darkblade88!

Here is the next update:

A tale of two A-wings, part 3: engine cans

There will be another one tomorrow, I need to start posting YouTube videos more frequently or they will fall very far behind.

No real progress to report after the last photo update. To be honest, the mistakes in the scribe work stalled me a bit. I am picking it up for a second go either on Sunday or Monday. I have also been waiting for some LED's to get here from Japan.

I am not going to stall this build any further. The engine cans await!

I wouldn't knock yourself out with
ribbing G I don't have any in mine
and their solid, once you have the
to halves glued together they are fine.
I mean feel free ......if you want to. ;D

Thats cool you figured out the scale
to be 1/28th! The lights in the small
one look excellent!

Yea the A-wing cans have a conical shape
there kind of tricky they are 360deg
at the rear and at the front they have an
"EYE" shape. The kits cans are really bad
i plan on making some up grade cans for
that kit. ;) Because it's a very nice kit it
just needs a little help here and there!

Let us know how you like
the Tamiya scriber. I don't
think i will ever get away from
the Ol exacto knife but its
good to see other stuff in
action! ;D

Jamaicanmodels69 said:
Let us know how you like
the Tamiya scriber. I don't
think i will ever get away from
the Ol exacto knife but its
good to see other stuff in
action! ;D

I like the Tamiya scriber! It does a wonderful job, that is in the next video, I kind of did an experiment. That way I could compare and contrast the different tools. The good old Exacto knife did very well compared to the Tamiya tool. It did the second best in the lot, so I can see why you like it.

Here is the next update:

A tale of two A-wings part 4: Pencil lines

I will give the old panel lines another run with the scriber on Monday!

Good work so far on getting them plotted nice
and straight! Just remember when you scribe
the panel lines they are the same on each side,
so you "Can't" go to deep because essentially
your cutting the same line on each side. This
makes it very easy to cut right through or
weaken them, so it's delicate hand for these
panel lines! ;)

I realized that pretty quickly while I was working with the scriber the first time around. I wanted the lines deep enough to look good, but not so deep that I was basically making a break away part.

The next video will show that I took my time and I counted the number of strokes I did with the scriber to keep an uniform depth.

Shiny new tool alert! The micrometer looks very useful indeed. Got to get me one of those. No more fumbling around with my steel ruler. ;)

Lines look nice and straight. Looking forward to that next vid!

Mathematician + Anal Retentive = Excellent Model Builder ;D

CTspeedshop said:
Mathematician + Anal Retentive = Excellent Model Builder ;D

You forgot Stubborn......

Defiantly need that with some of the things I build.

Igard said:
Shiny new tool alert! The micrometer looks very useful indeed. Got to get me one of those. No more fumbling around with my steel ruler. ;)

Lines look nice and straight. Looking forward to that next vid!

I don't use it that often, but then again I haven't done much scratch building or something like the larger A-wing. I plan on using it quite a bit on the large A-wing.

Great work, buddy!
A perfect example of how important proper measurements can be and what a brilliant result they provide in the end))

Up next: Scriber review

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself

Click the link under the video or it probably won't play. The last two videos I have uploaded didn't play correctly and did work with a popout. This is the popout version.

Damn Youtube :(

Same problem here than with the Falcon topic... :(

YOULI said:
darn Youtube :(

Did you try clicking the link under the video? I know that works on my computer. Also, have you tried a browser other than safari?

Hey G i never liked the dental pics they gouge because they are
to sharp and have to much of a point. The exacto is my favorite the
mistake you made was you broke off to much of the tip on the
exacto knife trial. You just want to break off the very tiny end
piece then it will curl out the plastic like the tamyia. The Tamyia
tool I don't like, it keeps your position to horizontal when you
have to do curves its going to be an issue. The exacto knife
i like because it allows you to stay in a more vertical position,
which makes adjusting pressure on the fly very easy. Try the
exacto again with just the very tip broken off.
I think the dymo? tape is good i will have to try that....but
i think on curves like the A-wing's hull it's going to break your
heart! LOL Try a nice thick piece of evergreen strip taped down
and see how secure you feel with a little more meat next to your
blade. ;D Curved surface or flat thats my weapon of choice as far
as a guide to scribe against.

Excellent video thanks for sharing.

You make a good point here. Different tools for different uses. While working on the Millennium falcon, I found that I had to use the dental pick to do some scoring. Nothing else would get in to the tiny nooks I needed to.

I will give that exacto another try. It is much cheaper than the tamiya tool and I am more use to hold it. That particular knife in the video is 32 years old and I have used it all of those years. It just feels right.

As for the dyno tape, I have used it on curved surfaces before. Yes it isn't as thick as I would like, but it does have a sticky side, which allows me to put it on the model and not worry about tape coming up. It will also bend around the curve of say a plane fuselage just fine. I have used it for this before.

I do have a lot of styrene strips, so maybe in the next video I can compare those two methods......

Grendels said:
YOULI said:
darn Youtube :(

Did you try clicking the link under the video? I know that works on my computer. Also, have you tried a browser other than safari?
I'm on Firefox... :D And it works "here" but not when I want to have full screen... :(

Latest posts

Back