A small dio for a krote

Thanks for the comments, I'm still working on it. Doing some homework about hairspray chipping, because that Krote has to look like he's wandering around there for some really long time now.

That technique sounds really interesting I'd be a little scared to use it on a nice model before trying it though.

I'm doinig some practice on an old kit that I'll never finish, and I must say that the chipping itself is easy. But to make it look realistic is another story, you have to be very carefull not to over chip the model. Well... I'll give it a try on the Krote and hope for a succes, or else it will be a good lesson to learn from my mistakes and improve my skills.

This is some really nice work here. Looks like a winner in the making.
When you go to do the chipping, start with a light touch using your brushes, toothbrush etc and that way you won't take to much off at first. Then you can always go back over if you want to make the chipping more severe. You can try rolling (lightly) a Q-tip over it as well.

Ludo,

one of the most important things I have discovered whether using hairspray, or AK's chipping fluids is the paint you are using. Vallejo does not like to chip, it comes up in larger sheet like chips while Tamiya paint gives you those tiny little detailed chips. Badger Model Flex paint is somewhere in between and I'm still experimenting with lifecolor paint.

Thickness of the paint applied has a huge effect as well, a very thin mist will come up easily in tiny chips, a heavy thick coat will require much more work (and has a tendency at times to crack on the surface). Sometimes several layers of misted paint - 1st layer chipped and then varnished over and misted again and chipped and varnished... etc. results in the most desirable scaled effects.

Unless you have nailed it down, I would suggest to keep experimenting. It's not much fun having to strip the entire layer of paint you wanted to chip to get back down to the original paint to start over, frustrating isn't the word to describe what that was like.

Hey, and hello! First of all thanks for the tips about the hairspray chipping. They were very usefull, so I've started with the paintjob of the Krote. After primered the model black I've added some rusty tones and varnished it.
S.F.3.D.-Original-Krote-045.jpg
Next I added the hairspray and gave it the basic collor, with some darker and lighter tones I've made some shadow effect.
S.F.3.D.-Original-Krote-046.jpg
Then I've started with some chipping but I'm still not ready, so the pics are from the stage it is now.
S.F.3.D.-Original-Krote-047.jpg
I must say that I'm starting to understand the process, and beginning to enjoy it.
S.F.3.D.-Original-Krote-048.jpg
So... There is still a lot to do and I'll try to make an update soon, Cheers!!!

Latest posts

Back