a new Challenger... 1 (MK3) - [Tamiya]

shepherd

Hey,
new here... and to armor modeling.
I built up a collection of tools, paints and kits and just never got round to starting them. So I've sold my games console and built a workspace so now is the time!
This'll be my first kit since I was about 13, so wish me luck!
First up:
Tamiya 1/35 Challenger 1 (MK3) (Desert)
5emu.jpg

My progress after 4 Hours...
bclz.jpg

1ri7.jpg

Thanks for looking

So, a small update.
Seems they'll all be quite small, this stuff takes forever! When I expected not be finished on this for at least a month, I didn't think it'd be because it'll take me literally every hour of that month! Anyways, I'm enjoying every minute so far. on with the update...

This is my first time airbrushing... first time a lot of things on this build.

So after some practice runs I started painting my parts.
I've painted only the main roller wheels so far and started weathering (another first).
Started masking with the 10mm tape before realising it'd take me a week so had to find my 40mm.
xx88.jpg

Painted up. Some went a little 'cakey' but that may work out as weathering ::)
xnee.jpg

Started weathering by dry brushing some hard pastel dust but I'm not sure if it's too much/little/wrong any tips here would be helpful. I'll leave the others for now and watch a few more clips whilst getting on with the rest of the build.
[Top left is unweathered, rest I was going for a grime slightly rusty build up]
3w05.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Great detail in the pictures, nicely done.

I'd say the weathering looks excellent.

so I've "finished" the tank, still a couple of little things I want to add to it but this is what I've done so far.
I've added a little bit of weathering but would like to add some more detail.
Had a little battle with the decals and was unhappy with the way they looked so decided to paint them on
I'm pretty happy with my result, lots of firsts on this one.

z79i.jpg

94ph.jpg

Put the tracks on backwards :-\ but they're to much hassle to switch for now

Thanks for looking.

looks awesome but your masking on the wheels seems a bit tedious. get one of the circle templates from your art store and it will have a circle to match your wheels

Thanks for the comments.
The masking was definitely a little more tedious than I would have liked but a brand new blade and a little patience did the trick in the end.

Not sure I'll be making many tanks though, this one was a gift from a friend.
My future builds are going to be Military trucks and wheeled vehicles, so a few less wheels to mask :)

On that note... I've made a start on my next build, it's an M1083 Standard Cargo Truck.

Thanks or looking.

Hey shepherd, really enjoyed seeing your build. Please don't hesitate to post the M1083 if you've got time.

Latest posts

Back