1998 A-6E TRAM

GaryG64

I built this in 1998 as a therapy project to help gain dexterity in my right arm, hand, and fingers after nerve surgery.
It has been packed away in a box for many years.
I figured while I wait for my next build (Tamiya 1/48 spitfire mk.I) to arrive I would try to repair what is broken and maybe switch out the decals.
I had very basic tools for building this jet and used rattle-cans for the paint. I cut out card stock to use for masking the camouflage.

This is by far my favorite jet, so when Flight of the Intruder came out I was excited to watch it. I already had read the book. This jet was a fantastic worker-bee!

Attachments

• 20230519_144632.jpg
    20230519_144632.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 10
I remember now. Panel lines were done with a drafting lead. A little streaking hear and there done with pencil. I attempt chipped paint on the cockpit steps.
Decals are brittle and coming off. Back then I didn't know about setting solutions.

Large gaps at the wings and fuselage. I've dislodged the wings and took them off to sand the Testors or super glue. The glue is pretty brittle so I'm thinking it was super glue.
One of the stabilizers snapped off and the tab slipped inside the fuselage. I attempted to repair it by coating the freshly sanded areas of the stabilizer and tail section with Tamiya Extra Thin. I let the two become tacky in hopes of a good adhesion... so far so good.
A wheel and it's gear came off so I did the same step as I did for the stabilizer, coat it and attach it back. This might need Gorilla glue since it will be a weight bearing strut.
I think I put 10 or more one cent coins together in the nose cone. Whatever is in there has good weight.
It's a fairly big plane, I'm thinking its a 1/32, but I might be wrong. I still have the instruction booklet and do not see the scale. It seems to be much larger than the 1/48.
Once I get it repaired I can do some proper panel lines and washes. I'm going to try to remove the old decals and replace them. I still have the original decal sheet too.
I might go as far as repainting it in a different scheme for the USS Coral Sea. An A-6E. Right now it's an A-6E TRAM.

Attachments

• 20230519_190233.jpg
    20230519_190233.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230519_190303.jpg
    20230519_190303.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230519_190316.jpg
    20230519_190316.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I like it!!!! Some of my first builds need some attention also
Thanks.
That was the first model I built since 1988, so 10 years later.
I had finished my Afrika Korps builds this morning and my bench was empty. I started twitching, sweating and cringing... I was going through withdrawals. o_O lol

I had wanted to get this plane out, eventually, and do some repairs on it. Seems this 'ol girl need quite a bit TLC.

Thanks.
That was the first model I built since 1988, so 10 years later.
I had finished my Afrika Korps builds this morning and my bench was empty. I started twitching, sweating and cringing... I was going through withdrawals. o_O lol

I had wanted to get this plane out, eventually, and do some repairs on it. Seems this 'ol girl need quite a bit TLC.
She's a big beast. I like it.
Pantherman

Latest posts

Back