1988 Mclaren Honda MP4/4 Top Studio Build *95% Done*

Re: 1988 Mclaren Honda MP4/4 Top Studio Build

Well, that is very fortunate of the soon to arrive replacement parts!! Not too bad on the fix job either Anthony!! Keep plugging away over there!!

Well done m8!!! I would have so stuffed up such tiny parts with my fat fingers!!! keep up the good work. ;D

I'm doing ok so far with all these small parts. Building I'm Better at. Painting is where I'm really practicing. I found this wonderful paint stripper that doesn't harm plastic so if I mess up I just redo it. It happens a little more than I like but I'm trying to learn how to airbrush so it's a bit of a process right now. I can't wait till it's all painted so I can get to building.

Nice meeting you today Anthony! Great work on this one!

Small Update:

Air Intake:
photo4_zps831ed881.jpg

Suspension:
photo2_zpsc2b39893.jpg

Added Foil (Heat Shield) to interior:
photo1_zpsd0a4e146.jpg

Have to paint axles, so i made my own holder cause the aligator clips were not working at ALL.
IMG_5618_zpsb44e1589.jpg

Suspension Components:
IMG_5613_zps0444aeac.jpg
IMG_5614_zps5e345f9b.jpg

Turbo, Wastegate and Exhaust (Prior to heat treating, used Alclad Stainless Steel) Looks better in person, close up shows EVERYTHING:
IMG_5615_zps70491679.jpg

Definitely some fine detail work going on here

Thanks! i dont know if i would call it "fine" yet, but detail work for sure. the bike should come out much better. this one is my practice model.

You are doing really well on the detailing Anthony! Keep up the great work! ;)

aww shucks T, i bet you say that to all the modelers...

jk, thanks! wish my intake mani would get here so i can continue.

The level of detail work you are doing is insipiring! Nice job!

Small Update:

Added some random lines:
IMG_6194_zpsaefd9d66.jpg
IMG_6195_zpsa3374f52.jpg
IMG_6196_zpscefd49eb.jpg

So, this piece wasnt long enough. I precut everything when i first got the kit and this is my first resin kit so something that i thought were casting were actually parts of the part lol. so i added some styrene rod to lengthen it. woulda been nice if it was same size but ive seen plenty of step down stuff on cars so it works.

IMG_6200_zps32fd1c0d.jpg
IMG_6201_zps06dbdd7f.jpg

Throttle body cables:
IMG_6202_zps70c6765f.jpg

And finally. mating of the two detail parts, the engine and the manifold. and i added a bunch of lines and such. it would be a novel if i posted each step so its easier to just take some eye candy shots. look around. theres a lot to see. i know the places that need touchups. waiting on vallejo paint to get here. im pretty happy with the model. theres stuff id do differently but its all a learning experience. when i do the bike it should be a lot cleaner. I also had a few small disasters. Almost thought id had to trash it twice. once was the strong hold micro stix i used to hold the mani setup didnt want to come off and i accidentally grabbed it by the fuel rail and wiring. the really detailed and thin part with all the wires and it snapped off. luckily it came off flush and didnt break or rip any other parts with it so i could force it into place and reglue it. my stomach dropped when i heard it snap. second time was i had the engine held with blue tape to the top of a tamiya bottle for stability. was bending a wire into place and must have used too much force cause it snapped the turbo and manifold from the engine. also has delicate wires. luckily it wasnt too bad. and last time was i manuvered some solder too much and it snapped and both ends were glued so i couldnt just replace it. so i decided to add heat shrink cause it woulda looked like a rubber tube. which woulda been fine. so i needed to shrink it to the solder and i figured a heat gun would wreak havok cause its a wide spread heat so i lit a small match to quickly shrink the tubing (i know now what a dumb idea that was), and it shrunk the tube but it also caught all the CA in the area on fire. luckily i caught it quick and blew it out before things got crazy. one fitting is dark now but it just looks oily. so now im being extra careful cause any breaks at this point with all this assembled would be disasterous....
IMG_6223_zps3b71508e.jpg
IMG_6225_zpsd5d7a12e.jpg
IMG_6227_zpsbcbafc90.jpg
IMG_6228_zps0f55a47e.jpg
IMG_6231_zpse8c165f0.jpg
IMG_6232_zps0ebfed46.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Dang! That is a lot of detail all mashed in there! Great job!

Small Update:

so, i saw on the real car the nose is detachable. And on the model theres a definite line where this separation should be. but i already painted it and im DEFINITELY not painting it for a 3rd time and its rather risky cutting a painted model as everyone knows.. so i guess everyone can assume what my decision was.

CUT IT UP! woo.

It cut nice and clean. paint barely chipped. I must have done my job right. I do wish i had a razor saw and will be purchasing one this weekend. but i scored it with a hobby knife then finished her off with fishing line. then sanded it smooth. will just retouch and will add fasteners later. Im building a custom stand for the body and will leave the nose on the car. will look neat.
photo4_zps15c71604.jpg

worked on the cockpit a bit. first time working with seatbelt material. looks cool, pain to work with. oh, and if you never touched the stuff. you MUST make any cuts before removing it from the paper backing. if you try to mess with it once its off its just a mess and unravels. also, its sticky backed but it wasnt enough to hold the fold overs, and when i put CA on it to hold it, it just reacted with the glue and made a mess. so i just redid it and pressed it firmly and hope it holds.

First up is the seat.

Those black strips were all cut from this square of material they gave me. same stuff as the strap on the ECU. wasnt too bad to do actually. getting it to stay down was a bit of a challenge but i used a hair dryer to soften the stickers into submission. they played nice after that.

photo1_zps85362d51.jpg

Here it is with the belts on. Keep in mind the over shoulder ones arent there yet cause the hardware to attach it to the car required the seat to be installed.

photo2_zps204b3758.jpg

In car view. Also i added the CF shifter box and one line. Havent done the other side yet. much more cockpit detail to come. sorry the pics are dark.
photo3_zpsd1f6afbe.jpg
photo6_zpsb3bd3540.jpg
photo5_zps08211ed6.jpg

More detail in the update.
Glad to hear that the cutting didn't go wrong for you

Latest posts

Back