1:72 HobbyBoss Seahawk FGA.6

kolja said:
Looking good. I would have never thought of using black for a primer coat under something like sky green!

Thanks. Had some hiccups, but I'm working them out.

I used to use the Tamiya fine grey primer basically exclusively. Recently, (I think it was last spring) I tried th Vallejo in a can spray primer and really liked it. After that ran out, I could not get any more locally, so I picked up a bottle of the Vallejo black polyurethane primer. I've be kind of using it as a primer and a lazy mans pre-shade, I paint the entire model black, and then colour in the panels with what ever colour they are supposed to really be. Last I use a thinned down shade of the colour to soften the remaining black and to blend the various panels together. The nice thing about the Vallejo primers is that they come in a number of colors.

Thanks Ace.

Things were going great, the decals were almost completely done and things went a little bit sideways. :p
The two decals on the sides of the fuselage tore because of my rough handling...I'm not too upset about it, as the white of the roundel decals showed the bumble bee suez strips underneath. I've got a three step plan to replacing them. First paint a white small circle over the strips using a card mask, then;

1. Check out the decal bank at our local IPMS meeting in December
2. After market decal sheet
3. Print some new ones, I'm a little nervous about getting a correct colour match so this is my last option.

Otherwise, I've one other small fix to look at with this kit - HobbyBoss has the holes marked for the drop tank hard points as depressions inside the wing. Pretty standard right? Well I drilled those locations, and the drop tanks don't fit properly, they hit the landing gear covers. I'm thinking that I'll move the holes outboard so long as they do not interfere with the weapons I'm planning to mount under the wings.

Word of warning to those who might be considering this kit for a future build...

All in all I've been pretty happy with this kit, except for a few points;
1. the drop tank issue (totally a HobbyBoss issue),
2. the decal instructions are incomplete (another HobbyBoss issue) and I'm sure that the wing decals as called out on the sheet are on the wrong wings (Instruction errors?). Another problem is I that I think HobbyBoss should have included some white round decals to go over the suez strips and under the roundels.

Thanks for looking. Comments always welcome.

Jason (JMac)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks Q.

It seems my builds always have some small measure of problems - I blame being born with gorilla thumbs and poor planning on my part. Still I'm enjoying the build (for the most part). ;D I think it will look pretty good beside my Wyvern and French Navy Corsair.

Eastrock said:
It really looks good, Jmac!!! Hi Fellow IPMS also here ;D

Thanks. Yeah, I just started going. They seem like a good bunch of model making guys. The Edmonton chapter is alot bigger group than I thought it would be, and some crazy talented builders.

I ordered some after market replacement decals for the destroyed roundels. Other wise everything is painted, ready for wash and weathering and on hold until the new decals arrive.

You're Edmonton IPMS? How often do you meet? I live an hour west of the city, and I'm deciding whether it's convenient enough for me to join.

Thanks. I've got not much really, just the washes, weathering and replacing the antennas I had to cut off for the decals. Everything is on hold until the new roundels arrive however.

dag gone... looking VERY tidy. Paint came out awesome!

Note to self: pick up vallejo primary in a can

smh, (mumbling to self) no idea how you people keep such clean work mats.

Finished this one today. Had a few small problems with my home made sludge wash. That aside, it's done and I'm fairly happy with it.

Thanks for looking; comments always welcome.

Jason (JMac)

And a couple more pictures...

Latest posts

Back