1/700 USS Neosho Project (RESIN)

Bzzymatt

Stayin Bzzy :P
For many of you who don't know what the Neosho is, here is a link to the ships history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Neosho_%28AO-23%29

but basically the Neosho was part of battleship row on the morning of december 7th.

I am attempting to recreate battleship row in a 1/700 with 90% of the models being resin kits.

I have for this project Loose Canon Productions 1/700 uss cossatot/cowanesque.

I bought the kit for $75 online and it was the closest thing I could find to make a 1/700 neosho.

now for many who probably know, there WAS a 1/700 Neosho kit out on the market, but is no longer available :(
by using photographs from the neosho kit, I can determine what I need to modify in order for me to transform this model.

After observing the Neosho's hull section, I practically have to sand down every detail on this hull section I am going to use. after wards I will come back and scratch build the model with Evergreen styrene.

I have a few photos of this project for now, but for many who have seen my progress on the trumpeter 1/48 p-40b, I am not too far away from finishing it.

I guess everyone was right when they told me about resin ships. "Its just like carving a bar of soap" Tongue

Thanks very much for your interest and I will be getting more resin ships soon!!!

Matt :)

USS_Neosho_AO-23.jpg

IMG_4757.jpg

IMG_4758.jpg

Well, what you see in the photos is not what it looks like now.

I spent an hour using my dremel tool to remove what was not needed for this project.

IMG_4759.jpg

The hull section has been stripped of every detail using a Dremel, I am now starting to fill areas that need filler.

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

For the Stern, I had to use a heated hobby knife, razor saw, and other tools to carve out what I wanted.

What an awesome project!! Are you depicting just before the attack or right after? Have you completed any other ship from battle ship row yet?? Enough questions, sorry....one of my favorite subjects!! Would love to see em if so!! 700 is a great scale for something like this...bit tiny at time, but still great!! Looking forward to seeing more of this!!

If you haven't got to the Arizona yet, Dragon has and awesome 1/700 Premium edition, complete with railings and turned barrels!! Not resin, but certainly worth the look!!

Carry on Sir!! ;)

hahahaha. there is never too many questions my friend.

This will be depicted before the attacks. And no I haven't completed any other ships yet. I have the 1/700 USS vestal resin kit, and I actually built the USS Hoga in 1/700 which is the size of a quarter. With rigging and much more. Uss Hoga was the tug boat that washed out the flames on the Arizona for 2 days straight after the attacks.

I am currently trying to get my 1/700 USS California resin kit payed for and shipped to my home.

But what makes this more interesting to people is that I'm only 16 and I have only been building ships for several years. I am going to continue to build these ships the best I can, and maybe enter it in one of these SMA contests.

And I did build the dragon Arizona before, but it was destroyed by my dog, so I improvised and made it into a diorama of the destroyed Arizona.

here is my video of the Hoga and there are some pictures of my Arizona as well.

Matt

Corsair Armada 1/700 USS HOGA

Pretty tremendous Matt!!! Not to be understated that you are 16!!! ;) A great deal of skill and dare I say discipline for for someone your age!! That tub is beautiful!! Thinking this will be an extraordinary Dio when complete. Wish you the best of luck (lol...like you need it ::) ) Keep us posted on how your doing!! ;)

IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4763.jpg

IMG_4764.jpg

Outlining parts for the evergreen styrene

IMG_4765.jpg

when I have to fill my resin ships this much, I like to use a light blue to check for scratches and gaps.

IMG_4766.jpg

Marking the ship for scratch building. The bow section is being extended.

IMG_4768.jpg

Checking my work so far. the gray blocks in the middle are from parts that came with the kit.

IMG_4769.jpg

I'll keep you posted every so often.

Matt :D

Getting things smoothed out pretty good there! Like where your going on this!! ;D

IMG_4771.jpg

I extended the bow by using evergreen styrene strips and excess resin to support the structure.

IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4772.jpg

I added some smaller stripes of evergreen styrene to help fill in the gap.

IMG_4773.jpg

Filler added

IMG_4774.jpg

IMG_4777.jpg

This is how far I have gotten with the scratch building, it's beginning to come together :D

Thanks!! I'm trying to look around online for some more photo etch parts. I hope that I get what I'm looking for.

O.K. Got some more photos of the build I will post later. my technique for extending the bow section worked!!!

Hope you enjoy what you see so far.

Matt :)

Latest posts

Back