1/48th Scale Saturn V

IMG_0001 (17).JPG
The original resin capsule's shoulder was too large and I don't possess a lathe to turn it down. So I chucked this as well and found a company called Shapeways online who sent me a 3D printed capsule.

IMG_0001 (18).JPG
Shapeways Capsule on the left, stock piece that came with the kit on the right. More defined in detail the Shapeways CM is.

IMG_0001 (51).JPG
Drilling out the windows to install window frames. You can see the frames to the center right.

Amazing level of detail you're putting into this. Going to be beyond impressive when she flies

Thank you very much. It's been labor intensive to say the least due to its size. A lot of primer, fillers and paint. The glue has been minimal. It's all in the finishing. Just like doing body work on a car. The easy part was the actual building. Finishing is a bear. Masking things off is the Achilles Heel for me on this.

IMG_0002 (7).JPG
The SLA and IU from Shapeways. The two are separate pieces simply dry fitted for picture taking. The IU will be painted separately. Much easier than taping off.

I'll be focusing on the upper section first in getting it painted. Then on to the larger, more involved booster section.

Impressive amount of work and detail here. Impressive to see this launch. I watched a friend launch a 24" 3D printed version just last week.

Latest posts

Back