1/48th Scale Saturn V

IMG_0001 (38).JPG
The aft interstage that originally came with the kit consisted of two molded resin pieces. However, when butted together, there was a half inch gap. I chucked them and used .030" sheet styrene as a replacement. I straightened out the seam later with a knife before applying the individual 1 mm stringers.

IMG_0001 (4).JPG
I've been using drawings from David Weeks to plot out additional details to incorporate. These have been invaluable.

Last edited:
IMG_0001 (33).JPG
These are four scratchbuilt umbilical connectors and fill and drain vents. These will go on the bottom of the first stage.

IMG_0001 (40) (1).jpg
The upper section of the second stage with umbilical connectors, access panel, fill and drain vents and assorted antennae and telemetry antenna.

IMG_0001 (48).JPG
One of the other issues with this kit. The white resin piece came with the kit, the drawing shows the true scale, while I made a replacement out of balsa.

IMG_0003 (9).JPG
An even more out of scale piece. The strip to the left is what the balsa pieces are made out of by laminatinating them three layers wide and three high.

IMG_0002 (28).JPG
Spirals are being filled along with scratch built systems tunnels. I've used pinstriping tape to create panel lines.

Latest posts

Back