1/48 Widlcat F4F-4

kolja

Here's my next project:

null_zps50819f5f.jpg

null_zps6d2353c2.jpg

So far after taking these, I've managed to spray the interior green - it's the first time I've used Vallejo Air paint, and really like it so far.

Nice!

The Wildcat and the Hellcat are two of my favorite WWII Allied planes.

Yep, OOB. So far the only changes I've made are cutting away part of the floor on either side of the seat (apprently incomplete cockpit floors is a Grumman tradition), and my first ever effort at masking tape seat belts - which for the record leave some room for improvement but are an improvement over the bare seat. I have pictures, just haven't had a chance to get them to photobucket yet

So here's how I made my first ever attempt at tape seat belts - first, a strip of regular old tan masking tape, using a glass cutting board (meant for kitchen use, I presume, since I bought it at a grocery store...). I cut off a long, narrow strip (which, in retrospect could have been narrower...)

null_zps228f9977.jpg

Then I cut pieces to become lap belt buckles, shoulder fittings, and adjustment fittings. If I'm not mistaken, 'hardware' like this is available in photo-etch - if so, I think that would be worth trying out.

null_zps52e20fab.jpg

The fittings I painted - silver for metal, black if I wanted to represent shadow, and the background color of the seat if I wanted it to look like nothing was behind the part. I cut the strip in pieces for the lap belts and shoulder straps. Then just stuck everything together, put them on the seat, and installed the rest of the cockpit parts:

null_zps14ac5cf3.jpg

null_zps8a7a8de2.jpg

Thanks, everybody - more pictures once I get them uploaded to photobucket and have time to post here...

Now that I've had the chance to upload them, here's pictures of this week's progress:

null_zps688428e9.jpg

null_zps7c57eca1.jpg

null_zpsc817d14c.jpg

null_zps3aace52b.jpg

Thanks guys! Yesterday morning before heading out on errands I got the engine cowling attached.

Some chores around the house, a half marathon on Monday (a holiday here in the US) and grad school officially starting - we'll see how much gets done now! :p ;)

How much gets done? Well, I finally managed to get the preshading done and the first color of paint...

null_zps6ff82724.jpg

Thanks, everyone. Pleased to have another update, albeit a bit belated. Got the rest of the colors done last weekend, hoping to get a chance to spray some Future this afternoon.

null_zps0749a61e.jpg

Latest posts

Back