1/48 Tamiya Mustang

I hear ya rookie about the preshading, I used it on the inside of the B-25 and loved the effect. Once you put a wash on to it gives the model so much more depth and contrast.

Btw looking awesome so far, boy is that going to be kick a$$ once the decals and wash is on.

Made some progress last night, got most of the decals on. Had one disaster, the first star I put on the upper wing surface tore and was unusable :-[ . So that left me without one on the underside, I might have a look at my LHS for one but if not I will leave it as is.

Used about a galon of microsol and lightly dragged the back edge of my twesers along the panel lines to get them to set down

2012-08-18102501.jpg
2012-08-18102439.jpg
2012-08-18102414.jpg
2012-08-18102350.jpg
2012-08-18102318.jpg

I hope to get the landing gear and drop tanks sorted this weekend

thanks for looking

Just realised looking at this that the port side star ( do they have a proper name ? ) on the fuselage is upside down..... :mad:

rookie said:
Just realised looking at this that the port side star ( do they have a proper name ? ) on the fuselage is upside down..... :mad:

Doublecheck the Star on the wing also, it looks like it may be upside-down

1372733.jpg

J

Solid wash job here. Ive not tackled a fighter yet but this workup has me contemplating the job. Great work.

Cool pic- thanks for posting it J( even if it does point out another mistake ! ) that thing is realy smooooth. A good example of what Carsernault mentioned earlier of how they use to fill all the panel lines and rivets with putty.

Thanks Mossy, havent washed the panel lines as yet have to give it antoher coupla coats of clear first.

Checked the LHS, nothing doing with the decals so I think i might just press on, cant be bothered waiting for a new set via mail order.

Looking great!! As for the Decs...yeah I wouldn't worry too much and like you said, not worth the time or activation of waiting on the mail order stuff!!! It's a marvelous build with or without!! ;)

rookie said:
Cool pic- thanks for posting it J( even if it does point out another mistake ! ) that thing is realy smooooth. A good example of what Carsernault mentioned earlier of how they use to fill all the panel lines and rivets with putty.

I wouldn't take that as a mistake, I prefer your build over the pic I posted, I like the pre-shade & panel-line look.
The pic I posted looks way to new and polished not used

J

As always thanks for the positive comments :)

I've had the same issue I had on the 109 with the watermarks on the decals but not quite as extreme, there is definately something going wrong with combination of microsol and future......... Anyways I fixed it last time so will just let everything dry out properly before I try the remedy.

Hopefully next post will be showing a finished product !

Re: 1/48 Tamiya Mustang - Finished

Stick a fork in it and call it done !

Finished this up tis morning, oil wash on the panel lines.

2012-08-25091016.jpg

Attached the antenna, and pitot valve under the wing and placed the canopy.

2012-08-25112428.jpg
2012-08-25112455.jpg
2012-08-25112530.jpg
2012-08-25112558.jpg
2012-08-25112742.jpg
2012-08-25112628.jpg
2012-08-25112723.jpg

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions along the way :)

Excellent finish there Rookie ;D ;D the little P51 looks brilliant !! I do like a Blue nose Stang :) Well done .

Chris.

Latest posts

Back