1/48 HAsegawa CF-18, 439 Sqn "Tigermeet" markings.

JMac said:
Any word on new decals from LE? Considering how this forum is growing and how many people read the posts here, it's just good business sense to supply new decals if the old ones were defective.

Yes, I heard directly from Dave at Leading Edge, he's sending me a replacement set. Its not so much because the decals were defective, they were old and because of the printing technology used at the time, they had become brittle. The newer editions of these markings are printed using a different process and are now thinner and more flexible. If I get them today, Ill still have a chance at finishing my Hornet in time for a contest in Halifax in a few weeks.

Good news (on both recieving the decals and on being able to finish in time for the Halifax contest). Looking forward to seeing it with the new decals.

Jason

No joy, didnt arrive today. Hopefully some time early next week. I can work on a few other parts of that build in the meantime.

Good to hear you got the decals sorted ,just had the same problem myself ,except they fell apart once they were on and dry !

Chris.

I've started applying the new decals, and they are vastly better than the old set I started with. Much thinner and stronger, seemed to adhere better as well. First to be redone were the inner tails, I used Future as a setting solution there as well as on the horizontal stabs. I had a bit of silvering there, my fault though. Moving on to the fuelage after that. These decals are quite large and complex in shape so I had to be really careful placing them. First was the decal for the nose which I had placed a little too far forward on the first try. After soaking the decal on the model I was able to coax it into a better position, that one decal took me the better part of 15 minutes to place. Next came the larger decal for the spine. I decided to cut this one up into smaller more manageable sections. 4 separate parts were cut, I started with the rear section and worked my way forward, making sure asection was positioned as close as possible to where it needed to be. In all, it took me about a half hour to apply these 4 sections. Most of the remaining stripes are individual segments, they'll be more time consuming but much easier to apply neatly.

011-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

JMac said:
Wickedness! ;D

Glorfindel said:
Friggin awesome!

Thanks Guys! :D

Ok, Coming along slowly. I have a hard deadline on this build for the end of May, Id like to have it done if possible for the 25th of May, will see how it goes. Also started my SMA BSC entry last night, I need that one done by the 25th as well.

Alrighty then, the Tiger has its stripes... I just need a few small touchups as soon as I figure out what paint to use.

138.jpg

139.jpg

140.jpg

141.jpg

142.jpg

That looks crazy good Carsenault. Keeps getting better and better. :)

Short update... Almmost done. I finished the decals today, gonna try and wrap this one up tomorrow night to make the group build deadline at ARC.

001-4.jpg

Charlie, I was just looking at CF-188 build threads in general (I have one small 1:72 on the bench right now). That lead me back to your Tiger meet build; how did this finish up? I was just wondering because the decals and build looked great.

Thanks guys. I seem to have forgotten to wrap up this tread. I did finish it a while back. I rushed a few things so its a good "3 foot" model. Still Im relatively happy with it. If your gonna build it in any scale, make sure you have a fairly recent printing. If the carrier looks pretty thick on the paper, leave it on the rack. They tended to crack up and break apart quite easily. if its a newer batch, they were printed using a different process and should work fine. Be sure to follow the placement instructions to the letter, the decals on the spine need to go on in a certain order.

Ill take some pics of it one of these days.

Latest posts

Back