1/4 vinyl Boba Fett

MrNatural

my head is falling off my head
Decided to be adventurous and go for another entry with my giant Boba Fett. Its a vinyl re-cast from the old Screamin kit and this Boba is not pretty...But it was cheap and I really like the large scale of it, something different, and a nice big canvas to add detail.

At a quick glance the kit looks like Boba Fett, but as soon as you take a closer look, its apparent that this kit is basically a pile of mush in the shape of Boba Fett. Should be lots of good fun ;D Take a look at this...
001_zps721911cc.jpg
0012_zps5cd467bb.jpg
009_zps2da3c2a4.jpg
003_zpscb9b0e7b.jpg
004_zps970d1650.jpg
005_zps093ae4b1.jpg
006_zps82545310.jpg
007_zps73652e41.jpg
008_zps19fb3ac8.jpg

Threw him into a bath of dawn dish soap and warm water to soak for the rest of the weekend.
010_zps1c0640e1.jpg

Thats it for now. Hope ya'll dig it. Later on my friends 8)

the kit still looks cool even if it looks a bit off. He will look pretty cool though when he is all painted up

oh man he does seem to look rough alright, but he still should look nice once painted

arohk said:
the kit still looks cool even if it looks a bit off. He will look pretty cool though when he is all painted up

a bit off is an understatement ;) this kit is absolutely atrocious! ;D

Glorfindel said:
1/4 scale....that's a big Fett. Almost Hobbit size.

HAHAH!

spud said:
oh man he does seem to look rough alright, but he still should look nice once painted

yeah he's is bad shape, lots of work ahead, but I knew what I was getting myself to 8)

ModelMakerMike said:
Yeah, he does look a bit mis-shapen, but I will be watching this one closely.

yeah he's all twisted up...thanks for checking it out!

JohnSimmons said:
Wow this will turn out great ;)

Thanks John!

Igard said:
Hey Mr N! Looking forward to this one. Looks massive!

Thanks Igard!

Grendels said:
Nice big figure! Looking forward to it!

Thanks Grendels!

So decided to dedicate the weekend to getting a good start on Boba since I procrastinated a good bit.

This is a beast of a kit. The big scale of it makes everything seem much more intense and this is definitely the most difficult figure I've ever built. The first thing that needed to be addressed is cleaning up all the flashing and fixing the warped parts, since this is a soft vinyl model the parts become badly warped from sitting around.

here is what's left after a good hour of trimming off the flash
005-59_zps9cdb7bcc.jpg
006-54_zpsb4faf6e5.jpg

The legs and torso have the worst of the warping. Here is how the kit stands out of the box.
007-47_zpsabbedc52.jpg

Should be like this
008-45_zpse42d3cd4.jpg

After trying to use hot water and a blow dryer I could not get the legs and torso to hold their shape for more than a minute or so other methods are required. Decided to just dremel the right leg completely off and re-attach it in the right position. Grafted in some support with styrene and milliput..
016-6_zps9fd669d6.jpg
017-9_zpsb7362e85.jpg

for the torso I epoxied in some styrene rod to push the part into the proper shape
018-6_zpsdbba9d22.jpg

then sealed up the bottom with some styrene and epoxie
019-5_zpsa47e4b49.jpg

then re-enforced that with some milliput. I want this thing to be as sturdy as possible.
020-4_zps21bd8914.jpg

to ensure that the vinyl wont fall out of shape over time I then filled up the legs and torso with plaster. this also gives me a nice solid part to work with.
rtrtr_zpsa068fa5a.jpg

The entire surface of this model pretty much looks like this
009-32_zpsb3ae20f1.jpg

So I've got some areas sitting in the their second pass of bondo
012-27_zps9f665da7.jpg
014-15_zps3baf718b.jpg
015-8_zpsae69e586.jpg

Probably the worst thing about this model is the jet-pack. Its just completely wrong. So I've decided to just break it down and rebuild it with what I can from the kit.
011-22_zps6d460732.jpg
025_zpsbda0784f.jpg
026_zps161404d2.jpg

Whew...thats it for now fellas. thanks so much for checking it out!

:eek:
WOW... He's a big kit with some BIG problems, BUT you're knocking them down to size!
Excellent work so far! ;D ;D ;D

Ooooh thats a whopper :eek: :eek: :eek: ,Lot of work ,but will be nice to see finished :)

I still can't believe how big this is! Looks like you are getting him into shape. How is your bondo working out on the surface pits and such?

I didn't realize how big this thing is until you held up the pack with your hand... this sucker is gonna be HUGE! I don't envy all the bondo work you're gonna need to fill and smooth out the body... looks like a nightmare! One of he reasons I never really got into vynal or resin kits. Just so much repair work you gotta do to it before you even get around to building and painting. But I'm sure you're enjoying the hell out this... Can't wait to see more progress on Boba... you're off to a fantastic start so far! Will be watching!

Impressive Kit!!! This is going to be a nice build. Looking forward to this completed. Boba Fett is my favorite character of Star Wars.

Latest posts

Back