1/35 Tamiya Leclerc Series 2

hummingbird

Welcome to yet another finished product, ladies and gents. This year has been a pretty good year for me, Modelling wise. I picked up so many skills from my books and magazines and I am on a building spree. This time, I will be adding a Tamiya 1/35 LeClerc Series 2 to my finished kits line.

More details about the LeClerc can be found here ( if anybody wants to know more, that is) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMX-56_Leclerc

This kit was released in Spring 2005. As standard from Tamiya and not to mention as a post-2000 kit, this one is just beautiful. This is the only kit in history with Die-cast metal wheels, which give the model a very strong stability and very nice details. There's a few inaccuries that I have noticed in my researched but nothing that I can't complaint ( I'm not really a rivet counter).

This gal is painted in Nato Green, Nato Brown and Nato Black. Scheme is per the instruction as I have found that all LeClerc was painted in the same pattern.

The Scheme for this gal is to go heavy with dust and dirts as I want to practice with what I have learned from reading AK's Weathering Magazine. I sprayed Humbrol Enamel Khaki, thinned with white spirit, onto the parts where I want the dust and just use a brush wet with white spirit to break apart the sprayed on enamel layer so that it forms irregular and random pattern. There a total of 6 layers of Enamel on there. After that, the whole tank was given a dusting of MIG pigmet's ''' Light Euporean Dust ''. I kept every other weathering to a non-existent level as such machine are kept reletively clean.

The Crews are painted with an assortment of paints; Citidal, Tamiya, Vallejo and Revell. While I am very happy with the face on these two, ( which is clearly an improvement over my other figures ), I seriously F**ked up the uniforms. I was supposed to give them a wash of Voilet mixed with Brown but I used Acrylics for the wash and the wash was a little thick and I seriously F**ked up my six hour long painting on the figures. Thank lord I didn't messed up the faces or I would have jumped off the window. So with that mistake, and having no more mental energy to re do the uniform, I decided to go heavy with the dust on the crew. I hope it doesn't look that bad.

Apart from that Hiccup with that crew, I love every bit of this gal. I love the kit and I'm quite satisfied with what I did, albeit it could look better but stil, I'm happy.

But enough chit-chat .... Its time for the photos -
Lets start with some walk-around, profile views
( oh, I made a cover photo of sorts for this gal )

LeCLERCCover.jpg

P1130187-2.jpg

P1130188-2.jpg

P1130189-2.jpg

P1130190-2.jpg

P1130191-2.jpg

P1130192-2.jpg

here are the two figures -
P1130201-2.jpg
This is the Commander -
P1130203-2.jpg

And this is the Gunner -
P1130209-2.jpg

You can see how much I messed up the uniforms

I also shot some photos for some of the detail painting I did, its not really much but you're welcome to have a look -
P1130219-2.jpg
Link to Full Album - http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/hummingbird2012/library/LeClerc/Close%20ups

And I shot all around views of the Dust layers I put on -
P1130232-2.jpg
Link to Full Album - http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/hummingbird2012/library/LeClerc/Dusts

It won't really feel like a finished kit from me if I do not play around with this and take some photos from various angles so here it is as usual....

AND ... BANG -
LeCLERC2-2.jpg
Link to Full Album - http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/hummingbird2012/library/LeClerc/Other%20Angles

And That covers all I have done.
I know I am not a pro and I still have much to learn but I really love how this looks ( successfully manged to put on a very nice and convincing dust effect) and really enjoy knowing how much I can apply what I have learned these past few months. I'm really happy to add this in my list of finished kit.

And as always, I could not finish this without the support of my great friends and peers and comrades. Your supports are much appreciated.

Thanks for looking. C&C and feedbacks are welcomed.

P.S - Yes, I am aware of the finger prints on the sides of the turret. Stupid me forgot to put on gloves.. :( oh well....

Nice build on this. The crew figures look ok :) " We all live n learn mate " ;D

One tip I can give, if you mess with pigments figures used in the boots, in uniform do not look very realistic, so I congratulate others is an excellent work, it is very difficult to dare to do some work, but this great, you're learning, if you start begins with tough as Italeri models and which will require more paint job: worn paint effects, tapping the sides, rust, etc.. So when you work as a model easier Tamiya, Dragon or Trumpeter will be easier for you to work them, excellent follow so soon you will be a great modeller.

Aaron Jefick said:
One tip I can give, if you mess with pigments figures used in the boots, in uniform do not look very realistic, so I congratulate others is an excellent work, it is very difficult to dare to do some work, but this great, you're learning, if you start begins with tough as Italeri models and which will require more paint job: worn paint effects, tapping the sides, rust, etc.. So when you work as a model easier Tamiya, Dragon or Trumpeter will be easier for you to work them, excellent follow so soon you will be a great modeller.

Yes sir .. Thanks for the advices and the encouragement. I built Airfix ones in my much more ameatuer days .. God, that was horrible... Handled a very old Dragon a few months back; I wanted to kill myself out of anger.. :p
but like you said, I'm learning and I'm striving to get better with each one. Thank you so much sir.

Latest posts

Back