1/32 Trumpeter P-40B

I

Ialarmu

P-40B

The deferred deliveries of the P-40 to the USAAAC were picked up again with the P-40B. In September 1940, 131 P-40Bs were procured by the Army to replace the deferred P-40s The P-40B (Model H81-B) differed from the P-40 in having an extra 0.30-inch machine gun in each wing, bringing the total to four 0.30-inch guns in the wings. The two 0.50-inch guns in the fuselage were retained. The engine was still the V-1710-33. Serials were 41-5205/5304 and 41-13297/13327 (c/ns 15973/16103).

The first P-40B flew on March 13, 1941. The airplanes were delivered in full camouflage. In contrast to the earlier P-40, the tail stripes and upper right and lower port wing stars were no longer present, but a star now appeared on each side of the fuselage. The P-40B retained the same dimensions of the P-40, but weight was increased to 5590 pounds empty, 7326 pounds gross, and 7600 pounds maximum loaded. Because of the additional weight, the P-40B had an inferior performance to the P-40, maximum speed being 352 mph, service ceiling being 32,400 feet, and initial climb rate being 2860 feet per minute. Normal range was 730 miles, but a maximum range of 1230 miles could be attained at the minimum cruise settings.

The export equivalent of the P-40B was the Tomahawk IIA (Model H81-A2). They differed from the American version by having the wing guns replaced by four 0.303-inch Brownings. 110 were produced for the RAF. RAF serials were AH881/990. 23 of these planes were transferred to the USSR, and one (AH938) went to Canada as an instructional airframe.

re: Joeseph Baugher http://www.p40warhawk.com/Variants/P-40B.htm

This P-40 is in similar markings to one that was undergoing maintenance due to an earlier incident thus, surviving the attack on Pearl Harbour.

Materials/paints used:

-Evergreen styrene plasticard
-Tamiya XF-66 light grey (bottom)
-Tamiya XF-51 Khaki Drab (top)
-Tamiya XF-51 Smoke (postshading)
-Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black
-Tamiya XF-5 (interior)
-Testors dulcote
-Promodellers dark dirt
-Berkley Trilene 6lb tst (radio cables)

After market parts:

-Air Master Browning ANM2 .30cal barrels x4

The Kit:

The kit itself was a real treat to build, there were a couple of inaccuracy's such as an extremely shallow cockpit interior and the sparse looking .30cal guns. This however was really the only issue that would stand out, all the others like the seat and decals are easy to live with for my own liking.

The kit mostly fell together, for 60 dollars the builder gets 6 sprues with very little flash. A photo etch harness assembly and acetate cockpit gauges are a real nice touch.

The engine when given a little TLC is a real sight to behold and begs to be exposed to the viewer. It was very detailed from the kits perspective but an avid modeller has a lot of room to add wiring and other goodies to really spice it up. I chose not to go crazy with it but could'nt resist exposing one of the panels.

I also exposed the left wing ammunition panel, If I were to do this again I wouldn't bother with it, the detail is not worth it I would have to do some scratch building to make it look proper.

There seems to be some confusion about the decals, I had to kick myself for blindly following the kit instructions and putting the left wing roundel way too centered. There are a lot of variants for markings it seems and not a lot of photo's, this of course could be due to the fact that the USA was not yet at war when these variants were in service. Photo's of these aircraft were likely limited to cheesy grins from airmen with girlfreinds taken with mom's brownie camera left to waste away in private collections and albums.

anyways, enough jabberin.

IMG_3006.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2991.jpg

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_3005.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg
]

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

I would highly recommend this kit and will build another one someday with AVG markings. I really enjoyed the build and have already picked up 2 more 1/32 Trumpeter kits.

Nice detail work, and I like how you handled the exhaust. Great job. Thumbs up!!

Latest posts

Back