1/100 U-VII C U-Boat

Tonight's update.
The Pivot supports for the rear dive planes were completed and installed around the props to the dive planes.
The next thing was to cut out the support frame for the rudders and shape and colour the edges.

Rudder3_zpsdde7a3b0.jpg

Here the braces for the dive planes and the rudders are installed.

Rudder4_zpsb0c2f7b0.jpg

After these dried, then on to install some hull plate strap detail to the rear of the hull, as was done to the bow earlier.

Rudder5_zpsabdb11c5.jpg

Just another view.

Rudder6_zps8553176e.jpg

Tomorrow we will move on to the forward dive planes.

I've been heavily documenting this build, trying to show the stages in producing a model of this genre. I hope you are enjoying the journey.

Jim

Thank you Grendels.

I love the detail that's in this model, keep finding more as I go along. 8)

Jim

Have been working on the forward dive planes construction and drilled the mounting position for the planes at the bow.

ForwardDivePlanes_zps61c168a7.jpg

I brought on board Kapit. Fritz Lemp to oversee construction. ( He is in scale. )

KapitFritzJuliusLemp_zpscb41feae.jpg

You have to have some fun. ;D

Jim

Jim, that is some awesome work there buddy. I have a question, do you seal the model when finished?

Thanks Roy.
You can but if you are not handling it to much it will be fine. Some people seal the print before it is cut. I may try that in the future, but have not sealed any of my models yet.
I know this is a vague answer, but I hope it answers your question.

Jim

It's just rolling the paper into tubes. Either around a former ( some sort of round stock) or into a tight shaft. Then glue the seam. Not really that hard. I usually roll on top of an old mouse pad, it makes for smoother curves with less creases.

Jim

Hello.
I find it interesting that as modelers we sometimes loose perspective on the size in real life the subjects we model really are. It was when I brought in the scale mannequin, the actual size of these subs became apparent. This is no small boat when compared to something we can relate to, size wise. Parts now seem enormous.
Today have been working on the forward dive planes and their support structure. These are now complete and installed.

Here the dive planes alone are dry fitted but not yet glued.

ForwardDivePlane2_zps7ea53cbb.jpg

Their outward support structures are here assembled. They will be dry fitted to the hull so that the planes may be positioned properly. Then the dive planes can be glued in position and these attached.

ForwardDivePlane3_zps8bb9e1d0.jpg

The forward dive plane assembly is now complete.

ForwardDivePlane4_zps409e1367.jpg

Again just an overall view of the ship as she stands tonight.

ForwardDivePlane5_zps6a2dc393.jpg

Tomorrow a couple of hull details to apply, then start on the main deck.

With this hobby I learn so much in the research for the model. Like, the last type VII was in service with the Danish navy till 1979 where upon it was sold to a German naval historical association for $0.60, and is now a museum. As well. after the war several of these were distributed to other navies including 2 to the Canadian Navy and used operationally. Over a hundred u-boats were scuttled after the war off the coast of Scotland.
Food for thought.

Have a good evening.

Jim

It's coming along really nicely Jim!

About sealing the model, I definitely encourage you to seal your next model, especially home-printed sheets with a lacquer coat or even an acrylic coat prior to cutting, I can attest to it working towards the modelers benefit. The coat makes cutting more crisp, allows for sanding edges without fear or fraying, and even the use of a bit of water to help form curves smoothly! :D

Thanks for the encouragement Fruit.

And thanks for the info. I know I should be sealing them. It's not like I don't have the materials, just haven't.

Jim

Nice job there Jim!! Those dive plane are tricky in plastic let alone paper! Keep at it!! ;)

I truly admire all the work you put into this bro... papercraft is a fine art and you my friend have is pretty much mastered!

Today was able to finish off the detail items on the hull.

She's finally got an anchor.

HullDetail2_zpsc64cc23b.jpg

Finished of the addition of some vents to the hull.

HullDetail1_zpsfdc8e3ab.jpg

HullDetail3_zpsfd9cd208.jpg

And was able to start adding some detail on deck. These are 4 layers of card as well, separate pieces for the straps.

DeckDetail1_zps95ba4eab.jpg

DeckDetail2_zps4c12c170.jpg

I think these are in reality wood to protect hoses used to refuel at sea.

Have a good day.

Jim

Hi Everyone. Short update.

Spent part of the day working on the hatches for the main deck.
Pieces had to be layered then had to wait till they dried before I could continue.
The doming (shaping) of the hatch was simple enough, but cutting out those hinges was a bit of a challenge. Those nuts for the hinges, now they were definitely a challenge.

Hatch1_zps2ae8cda5.jpg

I like the result of the hatches.

Hatch2_zpsd804d223.jpg

They were then installed in position.

Hatch3_zps16bc1586.jpg

Hatch4_zps963cb381.jpg

A view of the deck as she sits at the moment.

Hatch5_zps88b60e34.jpg

This process is slow, but I like how each piece brings more life to this model.

Jim

Tonight's update.
Added some more 3D detail to the main deck.

Aft.

DeckDetail3_zpsdcfe11a6.jpg

Forward as well. This main piece took the longest. It is constructed of 15 pieces, as well as 5 pieces to the raised deck feature.

DeckDetail4_zpsbceea48a.jpg

This afternoon was able to start on the conning tower. There is a lot of detail here, and is going to take a few days to complete.

Conning1_zps0449775c.jpg

The next while will be focused on the conning tower. Being box construction the lower section is quite sturdy. When gluing down it's deck, a hard cover book was placed on it to give downward pressure to keep it flat while drying.
That should be all for this evening.

Wishing the rest of you the best with your own builds.

Jim

Latest posts

Back