U gonna wanna build this U-Boat

Here is what I am going to build, the Mikro Mir 1/350 scale Soviet Papa class sub.

View attachment 112389

View attachment 112390

This was the fastest submarine of the Cold War. Twin screw, twin reactor, reached speeds of 47 knots submerged. The reactors were never run at 100% power, at about 97.3% the boat shuddered, vibrated, and made a lot of unsettling noises and was not pushed beyond that point. It was very noisy, thus easy to track, but NATO had nothing that could catch up to it.
Hi, how's things going with the build. Looks like a nice kit so post plenty of photos and build comments please. Pantherman

Got a little bit more done. The Revell interior version is very slow as you have to keep jumping from building to painting, gloss and decals then assembly for every section.
It's a nice kit but the instructions are not that great so you have to keep looking forward to see what goes where and what colour it needs to be. PanthermanView attachment 112526View attachment 112527View attachment 112528View attachment 112529View attachment 112530View attachment 112531
Man there is alot of filling and ejection marks to sort out on this thing but I think I'm nearly there now. Pantherman

20240114_225121.jpg

I am almost done with assembly and then on to paint. While this kit is decent, there are some things I don't like. First, each periscope is 2 pieces and is a pain to get straight. Second, the AA guns are supposed to have shouldering mounts on the back but the kit only came with the parts for one gun and not both. Plus those mounts are 3 very tiny pieces. I feel that the periscope should be molded in one piece and those mounts on the guns should be molded on the guns and it was done as separate pieces to increase part count. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to build this kit again. It is a nice kit.

View attachment 112548

View attachment 112549
Looks like you’re doing a great job even with the issues with the kit. Nice work.

I've been attempting oil paints for hilights and shadowing. I've seen youtube videos on this technique so I've tried it on the hull.
I dotted the hull with white then used a soft brush to pull the paint down over the side to soften the harshness of the deep blue paint and show that the Atlantic has weathered the boat.

Is it alright, or should I repaint to start over a little?

20240114_130240.jpg

Last edited:
Got a little bit more done. The Revell interior version is very slow as you have to keep jumping from building to painting, gloss and decals then assembly for every section.
It's a nice kit but the instructions are not that great so you have to keep looking forward to see what goes where and what colour it needs to be. PanthermanView attachment 112526View attachment 112527View attachment 112528View attachment 112529View attachment 112530View attachment 112531
That is looking really cool!

I am almost done with assembly and then on to paint. While this kit is decent, there are some things I don't like. First, each periscope is 2 pieces and is a pain to get straight. Second, the AA guns are supposed to have shouldering mounts on the back but the kit only came with the parts for one gun and not both. Plus those mounts are 3 very tiny pieces. I feel that the periscope should be molded in one piece and those mounts on the guns should be molded on the guns and it was done as separate pieces to increase part count. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to build this kit again. It is a nice kit.

View attachment 112548

View attachment 112549
Mike, that's looking great!

I've been attempting oil paints for hilights and shadowing. I've seen youtube videos on this technique so I've tried it on the hull.
I dotted the hull with white then used a soft brush to pull the paint down over the side to soften the harshness of the deep blue paint and show that the Atlantic has weathered the boat.

View attachment 112569

That weathering looks amazing, Gary!

View attachment 112569
I think this looks awesome Gary. Very authentic. I wouldn’t change anything. Very nice work.

This is looking very nice. Love the details.

View attachment 112569
Looks awesome Gary. PM

Back