Your tips for first time model construction...

DreamKnight

If you can, remember back when you were new and just starting in the scale model hobby. We've got really great modeler's on SMA so let's hear any new advice you may have for the newer modelers here on SMA!

My tips are:

- Use quality paints
- good tools
- take your time and use SMA for further tips. SMA helped me a lot and it is giving me the motivation I need if something isn't working out like the way it should.
- and some references are helpfull, too.

Everything is good so far, patience, references, and quality paint. The only thing I want to add is to practice. It takes time to build up your skill set. Don't expect stellar results right out of the box. It just can't be done.

It will help to find good resources for learning these skills. Youtube is great for this. Go watch modelman Tom's videos. From there, you will find others.

Most of the people on this forum are really good about helping out. So ask questions, they will answer them.

Grendels said:
It takes time to build up your skill set.

And I'll just add that that never ends. Often myself and other old hands approach a project as "this is THE one" and demand perfection of ourselves...and always disappoint ourselves because no matter how many you've built or how many years you've been at this, EVERY build is a learning experience in some way.

Great point. I am trying to go into a build with this attitude:

"This will not be perfect but I will learn new skills / develop existing and it will be better than the previous."

Yea, my mantra now is pretty much "this is NOT going to turn out exactly like I expect....and thats OK" LOL.

And expect something to go wrong no matter how big or small something most probably will go wrong,but just fix the problem and move on,But if you cant fix it just use it for scratch building. ;) :D
Simply enjoy yourself. :)

Building models is supposed to be fun. Yeah, your first models are gonna suck, but if you have fun building them than that is the right on man 8) take your time. read all the instructions. Look up a bunch of reference about your subject before you even start. plan ahead! get an airbrush, I cant even begin to tell you how much more enjoyable the hobby is with an airbrush. Watch Plamo Tsukuro on youtube! Start with a really easy kit with minimum parts to build up your chops before you jump into that 1000+ piece battle ship. ;)

The tip I would most recommend for a beginner, is the philosophy I use on each build. KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Use sharp eXacto knife blades, not dull ones.

Put triangle pencil grips on #11 eXacto handles, I think it is a law of physics that states that a new exacto knife will roll of the table and impale your leg or top of your foot other wise.

Wash you sprues, seems silly but you got to get the mold release off.

Work in a well lit , well ventilated area, personally I am liking near the computer for references.

Use references, learning about your subject is half the fun

1. Select an easy kit. (K.I.S.S. as said earlier)
2. Select the right tools. (Side cutter is a definate! You wouldn't believe...actually you guys would believe... how many times I either cut my self while removing a part from the sprue or sent a part on an oribtal trajectory)
3. Acrilyc paints. (Much easier clean up and smell)
4. Take your time. Time and patience are your friends.
5. say to them that 'it wasn't a failure, it's a learning experience.'

G'Day All,

First time model construction was so long ago, so here goes

1. Have fun
2. Don't let anyone else build it.
3. Get a cheap and simple kit of your favourite subject(s).
4. Have fun
5. Get some simple tools - small side cutters (wire cutters), emery boards (cosmetic department of shops), use Liquid glue with needle applicator (easy to control and apply than tube glue and it doesn't dry in the tube), small cheap knife (old kitchen knife is just fine), wooden pegs for hold parts together (you can make you own claps to suit your needs) or just holding parts while painting, cheap tweezers, good quality paint brushes of different shapes and sizes, acrylic paint, Tamiya masking tape (or similar), very cheap box of tissues - helps clean up the mess and is always on hand, medium size cutting mat, band aides
6. A small work area - somewhere to setup and store things
7. box of some sort to store all your tools
8. Have fun
9. With the first couple of kits, don't give in to the impulse to build them quickly. As you start building, you'll start to see where you need to take time building and develop those patience skills. You will also want to improve things - these take time to achieve
10. Somewhere to display them or to store them.
11. Its a hobby - its not a waste of money, nor is it just for kids.
12. Oh and did I forget to mention - have fun!!

Thanks

cheers
Mark

Latest posts

Back