your first airplane

13aceofspades13

lets kick some tires and lights some fires!
show me your first airplane kit! talk about it, if you have pictures show it, dont be afraid, beacuse trust me there isnt much worse than mine, and if it is what ever its part of the learning experience! and part of the fun baby!

well i found a picture of my very first airplane i did myself, a long..... time ago, Ace Of Spades P-51 #1 this was the very beginning of my model airplane collection, the very first on my sealing. from here on out, it sparked my scale model addiction!

AceOfSpadesP-511-1.jpg

i was about 17 when i made this maybe 16, this is a 1/48th scale Revell P-51D mustang, my very first. however, when first made it had much...... to be desired. some of the detail's lacked, the paint scheme was way off, and the paint that was on was not properly applied, it was later re painted and it looked much cleaner however still lacked! finally being replaced by the Ace Of Spades P-51D as my primary airplane in my collection.

No longer have either the kit or pics of it. Was a VERY long time ago.
I was, maybe 10 or 11 when I built her up, and I'm 44 now.
I remember her well, though. It was a 1/48 B-17. The "Memphis Bell."
Can't remember many details, but I do remember having hours of fun flying her around after I was done with her

I don't have pictures of my first airplane either. I was like 9 or 10 and it wasn't even a plastic kit. Was a F4U-4 Corsair Balsa wood kit. I know I finished it because I remember it flying ... once ... ;D ;D ;D

@Quaralane
a B-17 1/48th scale..., big build for a first im guessing, but still... not bad.

@ScarredKustoms
flying once? hmmmm...... XD

@ Chiefpettyofficer
how long ago was it when you built that?

i started building models when i was about the ages you guys listed. 11 to 13

I remember my first plane very well ,, it was the early 70's and I saved for months to buy it, with a little additional help from my parents.

It was the Revell 1/32 Phantom.

I looked over it hundreds of times, But I never cut the first part off the sprue,I never built it, it was so daunting. I don't think I ever bought paint or glue for it.
I traded it for a cheap acoustic guitar much to my parents dismay.

Revell%20H188%20F-4J.JPG

my first "airplane" build is the finished x-15 or unfinished seahawk posted on this forum..
my first built model was a Zingers VW (early-mid 70's timeframe)

It was along time ago but it was a 1/48 monogram zero i think it astes about one day before i crashed it. i was only about 5 or 6, early 80s ;D

RocketSilo said:
I remember my first plane very well ,, it was the early 70's and I saved for months to buy it, with a little additional help from my parents.

I looked over it hundreds of times, But I never cut the first part off the sprue,I never built it, it was so daunting. I don't think I ever bought paint or glue for it.
I traded it for a cheap acoustic guitar much to my parents dismay.

Revell%20H188%20F-4J.JPG

my first "airplane" build is the finished x-15 or unfinished seahawk posted on this forum..
my first built model was a Zingers VW (early-mid 70's timeframe)

could you get another.

panzerman75 said:
It was along time ago but it was a 1/48 monogram zero i think it astes about one day before i crashed it. i was only about 5 or 6, early 80s ;D

if i where five and built one of those, it would probably be broken too...

my first was the original Matchbox 1/72 P-47.

I threw it out years ago, however I've hunted down the original kit on ebay over the past few years. I now have 3 of them ;D

I love the old Matchbox artwork, wish the kit companies would go back to that style again.

Here's a WIP of one of the kits

p_47_01.jpg

I have the boxart around here somewhere - just have to clean up abit :(.

cobraleader said:

I threw it out years ago, however I've hunted down the original kit on ebay over the past few years. I now have 3 of them ;D

I love the old Matchbox artwork, wish the kit companies would go back to that style again.

Here's a WIP of one of the kits

p_47_01.jpg

sweet

RocketSilo said:

Revell%20H188%20F-4J.JPG

Wow, there's a blast from the past, I never got a chance to build that kit, but I always wanted to. I remember many times Picking up the big heavy model box at the local hobby shop in the mall and reading all the text and looking over the pictures, Im sure at the time I could have recited every word. It was way over my budget then, my allowance wasnt enough to purchase it, and I was terrible at saving money, it would burn a hole in my pocket every time.

The first model aircraft I remember building was a 1/72 F-86 Sabre kit, I remember it beign a Matchbox kit, thought Im told Matchbox didnt have a Sabre model at the time so it could have been an Airfix or Hawk kit I suppose. I was almost 7 then, and I used nearly every color of paint from my older brother's inventory of Testors model paints on it.

cobraleader said:

p_47_01.jpg

Ahh, my good old baby.....Looking good :))

Latest posts

Back