X-21 Tamiya Flat Base, what is it ?

rookie

This is not a toy
Hi All ,

anyone used this ? I bought it thinking it was a flat clear coat, I was going to use it as a final coat on my P51. Thankfully i tested it before I ruined my Mustang.... It has a very thick consistency and even when well thinned came out with very grainy overspray areas. I'm guessing its a primer of some sorts ?

Would like to hear from anyone who has used it and in what application.

Cheers ! :)

It is a paint additive to make paint flat. Tamiya now produces flat clear paint in a bottle.

Like PharmPony mentioned; I believe that the Tamiya Flat Base is meant to be mixed into other paints, to give a flat appearance. I've tried some, mixing it with Gloss, to get a semi-gloss or satin finish. I don't think it's meant as a dull-coat.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it is an additive to paint to make it a matt paint.

You can however use it to mix with Future to create a flat coat.

Here is a basic recipe to mix it.

1 part flat base to 3 parts Future = very flat
1 part flat base to 10 parts Future = flat
1 part flat base to 15 parts Future = satin

Elm City Hobbies said:
Yes, it is an additive to paint to make it a matt paint.

You can however use it to mix with Future to create a flat coat.

Here is a basic recipe to mix it.

1 part flat base to 3 parts Future = very flat
1 part flat base to 10 parts Future = flat
1 part flat base to 15 parts Future = satin

Geez, that's a good tip!! Nice one Scott!

I saw this in a hobby shop, didn't know what it was and sprayed it on a model. Boy was I surprised at the result. A frosted white model.

I quickly got on line and found out what it was. It was pretty easy to fix and as Elm City said, it is for making paint flat. Does a pretty good job of that too.

Thanks for the replies, Pharm Pony you mentioned Tamiya now make falt clear in a bottle, is it in the standard acrylic pots ?

Latest posts

Back