Where should be put non-build threads

Where should NON BUILD threads go?

• Total voters

Junkie

Hi,
Running into a bit of confusion over where NON build threads should be posted.

FOR EXAMPLE:

You want to talk about the type of seat cushion foam that was used in a certain airplane. Do you post in AIR or (since it's not a build just a conversation) do you post in CHIT CHAT.

Now before you reply, our goal here is to keep things organized. On one hand having just WIP threads in the genre forum makes sense for browsing builds. On the other hand keeping all genre related banter together makes sense.

Please vote and help us decide.

Thanks for being a part of and building SMA.

I'm not sure if there is a right answer. Maybe if there was one sub thread in each category for talking about references, colors, seat cushion etc.. for that category.

Thinking it works best if kept within the topic. that way, you don't have to go chasing for it and wind up with three or four threads talking about the same thing.

Scott that would fall under a techniques category.
currently the closest category you have is titled "Construction, Lighting and Groundwork"

If I had my wishes come true there would be a " Tips and Techniques" forum.
tips and techniques cover more than one classification of model and are usually my favorite section to peruse when I find a new forum.

If you look at other forums , there is almost always a construction "tips and techniques" category for members to search.how far you want to break that down into more specific categorys is up to you(such as ,lighting, tools,photography/ground work/video tips, and so on)

you have a category on painting , decals and weathering,, thats good !

than something called "scale model university"
however this "university is created by some guy named "dreamknight" in fact he started 4 of the 5 total topics... however I notice this "dreamknight " is someone who no longer contributes to this forum and has not updated the category ,, seems like it was his baby ..possibly created by him ?... I say move that special forum into a tips and techniques forum where it should be that can be more utilised and contributed to by ALL forum members.. you know added to.Kept up to date on a regular basis ... not sure why there had to be a special forum for one guy that contains info already covered elsewhere

I don't think a question about the type of seat cushion foam used in an aircraft would be posted in a technique forum though, it's a question about the actual seat in a real aircraft.

As far as a technique section I believe it was destined to be found where you mentioned, the SMAU forum.

Im curious, are you not able to start a thread there RocketSilo ? If that's the case, I think maybe staff should talk about it being unlocked so that members can post their own tips and techniques.

That section wasn't just for DK, I believe it was originally created for all staff members. In fact, I believe AKE has a few videos posted there. DK still does contribute when he has time, although like myself, he's pretty busy outside of the forum right now.

That is definitely the place to have 'tips and techniques' the last thing we need to do is start adding forums all over the place since we did just clean them all up due to being spread too thin. Let me look into that forum and ask why it isn't open to the members as it could be very useful in that respect.

As for the purpose of this thread, it's really about the question and the poll above it, so please everyone, vote!

EDIT: Okay, just had it verified that members can indeed start threads in the SMAU section, so if you have techniques you would like to share, you are more than welcome to start threads on them to share with everyone.

Here is my idea to this topic. There is a lot of really good information in this forum, but it is scattered all over the place. For example, there are great post about putty, primers, and other such things, but not all in one location. (Yes I know that these are in the painting thread, but not easy to find, especially if you are a beginner, and new to the forum.)

It would be great if all of this information was in one easy to find place.

I reckon a good idea would be to have a 'Reference' section and a Tips and Techniques section . Discussions about 1:1 scale things should go in its own reference section ,which can also include useful ref pics posted by members .That way all reference is in one place ! ...just my opinion ;D

Chris.

I may have spoken out of context ..sorry for that .. I'll just condense my post into I wish there was a tips techniques category.. something like ,,"is this foam good for seats?" I agree with scalemodelmadman ,,the aircraft forum would be a good place to ask that ... however if there was a tips and techniques forum ,,with a thread on "how to make scale aircraft seats/cushions" ... that would be cool

sorry I did not understand the "university" thing . I was under the impression that Darknight was the instructor and would be holding class... but I never saw anything happen since I joined .. now that I know anyone can be an instructor ..it makes more sense

Chris S said:
I reckon a good idea would be to have a 'Reference' section and a Tips and Techniques section . Discussions about 1:1 scale things should go in its own reference section ,which can also include useful ref pics posted by members .That way all reference is in one place ! ...just my opinion ;D

Chris.

I too think there could be a way to have a Tips & Tricks & a Research Forum. ? ?

Whether you want to know the Pattern of Zimmerit that the M.A.N. factory applied to Their Panther Tanks in WWII as opposed to the Zimmerit that was applied to the M.N.H. Panthers. ( don't worry ... it can get more minute that that for German Armor ! ;D )

What if you want to know the Exact Color that Darth Vaders Tie Fighter was painted for Star Wars ( ANH) ?

What was the factory color for the seats in a 1963 Corvette Stingray ?

Some may think that one Forum could cover the Armor build & the Zimmerit question, I think it would get lost amongst the Armor related builds that are posted. The "research" forum - The Addicts Library ? ! Could be sub set into Armor ( All Eras), Planes, Auto's etc. like the build forums ?

If some one explains a Tip or a Trick during a W.I.P. I think it should stay with th WIP, but Tips & Tricks ( alone as a whole, could be stored in the SMAU . Tips & Techniques could be submitted to th Admin for review ?

Or is that just too much ???

I just kinda thought that the Chit-Chat forum was just that, chit chat. You know, off topic, discussions about life, the senate, Spartans, our recent campaign to take Gaul and the like.

Whoa, channeling Marc Antony there for a sec. Hate it when that happens.

Seriously though, It's Scott's forum, he can do with it what he pleases and if the intent of the chit chat forum was to discuss anything not related to the actual building or completion of a model, that's cool.

Then you've got dorks like me come in and ruin the fun. :p

In the above example I would be tempted to put it in the aircraft section. I visit different forums like most of you do I'm sure. It's really crappy when a site has tons of headings. The cleaner it is the better. If it is too cumbersome to navigate then less people will stick around. It's nice to be able to just pop in when you are busy and not have to go through a big list of headings just to see whats new. Headings within headings get complicated and time consuming...less time for building. ;) That's my 2% of a loonie.

Loony! Is funny because is Canadian! Ha!

familyguyfunnyguy.jpg

Jingles said:
2: The air section of the 'WHATCHA BUILDIN'?' area has a non-WIP child board where air-themed topics can be discussed. In this case we may also need to change the overall area name from 'WHATCHA BUILDIN'?' to something else.

This makes the most sense to me. For what its worth though I'll extend the thought...

If I look as some other boards I check in on, there are exactly 3 possible child forums to post in for a given genre (and NO posting directly off the parent): Completed Builds, WIP, and General Discussion of the subject (which could include anything from discussing various kits in the genre, to discussing what color a certain tank/plane/mecha is etc.).

ANYTHING to do with construction, tools, paints, techniques etc should NOT be in the genre discussions because those sorts of things benefit all and we can cross pollinate as such (for example a discussion on scratch building stowage for AFVs would be of interest to the SciFi crowd, figure painters, airhead, everyone as they can apply that to their respective disciplines). All that stuff should be under "Construction and Finishing" (or whatever) with various child forums for construction, paint, etc.

Latest posts

Back