whats happened to the history channel

It's not that I don't like the non-history content on THC, but I didn't go to THC to see non-history content.

Likewise, when Sci-Fi (I didn't buy into the dumb name change) started showing professional wrestling, I thought, I don't mind wrestling, but not on a channel where I expect to see sci-fi and horror content.

I do miss the cheesy sci-fi movies, though. That was one thing I liked about Sci-Fi, and I think those of you who are of my age (I'm 48) and grew up in the States will agree with me. Sci-Fi took over for the various horror movie shows that every major and most minor markets had, many on UHF, and often with a cheesy host, a la Count Floyd from SCTV. In the Philly area, Channel 48 and Channel 17 both showed old monster movies, sci-fi and horror, Saturday afternoons. And on 17, the show was hosted by Doctor Shock. He told bad jokes and did bad magic tricks, between segments of the movies. But it was great fun when I was a kid. That's what "Sasquatch" is for me today, or "Pterodactyl!" (I mean, c'mon! Coolio as a Special Forces officer?) or "Curse of the Sabretooth". And yes, Megashark and Sharktopus. So bad, they're good!

With all of the Sci-Fi shows that have been on TV over the years, there is no reason why there couldn't be an actual Sci-Fi channel.

I mean STNG alone, if 1 episode a day during the week was played, it would give you 33+weeks of programing. Add to that all of the other ST series, BSG, V, Firefly, Stargate series, Babylon 5, Buck Rogers, etc, etc, etc, you would have enough daily programing to last you at least a year without repeats.

Weekends you show Sci Fi movies. You only really need programming from say 4pm to Midnight, and then just repeat it for the next 2 8hr cycles.

Seems like a no brainer to me, but then again I run a lowly hobby shop and not an exec for a TV channel! LOL

Cave_Dweller said:
Well here's an opposing point of view. I actually like Pawn Stars and Storage Wars, and I don't care if they're fake. They're entertaining and make me laugh, and that's what matters to me if I'm going to watch TV.

I've also noticed every show on History that is actually covering real history, is highly sensationalized and edgy. No one wants to watch a dry, boring black and white documentary. Myself included, unless I was extremely interested in the subject.

Is it History or Discovery that has that show called How its Made? I like that one too.

But I haven't had cable TV for nearly 15 years now, and won't ever pay for it again, so I don't see a lot of this stuff. I'm with MrNatural, Netflix is good value for the money. And NO COMMERCIALS! Yay! ;D
i'm not knocking the programs if u like them there are channels for shows! like them like bio and sky1 and qvc..but history and especially military history don't need programs like that on there and most (black & white) documentaries that show that footage do so because they didn't have hand held HD cameras back in the day.bring back the world at war

Cave_Dweller said:
I've also noticed every show on History that is actually covering real history, is highly sensationalized and edgy. No one wants to watch a dry, boring black and white documentary. Myself included, unless I was extremely interested in the subject.
I do, I enjoy a good WWII documentary with actual combat footage.
As for shows like Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Swamp People, etc, all are OK shows but IMHO not something that belongs in the History Channel.

Elm City Hobbies said:
With all of the Sci-Fi shows that have been on TV over the years, there is no reason why there couldn't be an actual Sci-Fi channel.

I mean STNG alone, if 1 episode a day during the week was played, it would give you 33+weeks of programing. Add to that all of the other ST series, BSG, V, Firefly, Stargate series, Babylon 5, Buck Rogers, etc, etc, etc, you would have enough daily programing to last you at least a year without repeats.

Weekends you show Sci Fi movies. You only really need programming from say 4pm to Midnight, and then just repeat it for the next 2 8hr cycles.

Seems like a no brainer to me, but then again I run a lowly hobby shop and not an exec for a TV channel! LOL
That used to be the case with SyFy back when it was Sci-Fi. I remember they showed UFO, Space Above and Beyond, STTOS, ST Enterprise, etc.

I wish The Military Channel would have shows like Combat, The Rat Patrol, 12 O'clock High, Baa Baa Black Sheep, etc.
I'd be glued to the Tv all day long!

Well you guys could always just not watch it, or cut the cable entirely. All those cable channels are just watered-down, low-budget reality shows now.

Just think of not having to watch or hear all those awful commercials all the time. That alone is enough to keep me away from TV. I'm sure there are alternative places to watch historical documentaries.

Cave_Dweller said:
Well you guys could always just not watch it, or cut the cable entirely. All those cable channels are just watered-down, low-budget reality shows now.

Just think of not having to watch or hear all those awful commercials all the time. That alone is enough to keep me away from TV. I'm sure there are alternative places to watch historical documentaries.

That is what a PVR is for, record the program and FFWD through the commercials. I can't remember the last time I watched something live on the TV with the exception of a hockey game or Nascar race.

god bless the man who invented pause and forward don't know how i lived without it

Cave_Dweller said:

That's what I did. I cancelled my cable subscription in 2007, after thinking about it for several years before that. I got tired of paying for a hundred channels that I didn't want. I also found that I'd have the TV on, just to have it on. And I discovered that I could watch the shows I wanted online. I tried Netflix briefly, but I didn't want to rent movies or shows frequently enough even for their basic rental plan (this was before they added online/streaming content-it was back in the days of mailing DVDs back and forth). I don't really miss TV.

If the cable companies ever go to a true a la carte method of subscribing and billing, though, I'd probably re-up. The technology is there, as you've pointed out. What really prevents them from converting fully is the nature of the contracts with the media companies who provide the content.

another question for the american lads what do u get if u dont pay for cable over here would have to pay a tv licence basic for BBC1/2..ITV..channel4/5 what is your basic option

I have a digital box and can get any/all local channels with the old fashion 'rabbit ears'.

About 8 to 10 channels, depending on the weather. ;)

Ken Abrams said:
I have a digital box and can get any/all local channels with the old fashion 'rabbit ears'.

About 8 to 10 channels, depending on the weather. ;)
always makes me laugh when i watch national lampoons European vacationand rusty can only get three channels...superb

Latest posts

Back