whats happened to the history channel

geegad

in the uk don't know about over the pond but we have a channel called HISTORY they used to have really good shows about history now it full of shockingly bad shows shipping wars/pawn stars/storage wars reality tv shows at there worst and from what i can gather very very staged...and the military channel is showing cash cowboys..what the hell has happened to GOOD tv shows...bring back the history next they will be showing terrible shows like these abominations jeremy kyle/jerry springer

sorry for the rant just home from work to tune in and i turned off instead..hows your tv

Making history every Day seems to be the way to hide behind such programs. they should be on one of the other channels like bio or something. but i do enjoy them, pawn stars is pretty decent when they bring in something cool and you get a story from it from an expert so that i suppose is one way of saying its a history program???

i agree there's a time and a place and pawn stars has the only history facts that my misses will watch.i think i am getting old my friend going to start watching all the classic westerns next ;D ;D

It is pretty much the same over here in the U.S.A. Too many people watch that stuff....

Its like the Military channel, always a ton of stuff on there that has nothing to do with Military.

I am personally not a religious person, but respect those that are, but when they have shows on the Military channel called "Who Was Jesus", can someone please explain to me how that fits into something like the Military channel?

Or stuff like, "Shoot out at the OK Corral". Great for a Western Channel, but doesn't belong on the Military channel.

Mysteries of King Tut's Tomb, really? And that has anything to do with military how?

Could trade those shows for Pawnstars, at least a fair amount of the stuff they have on their show does have something to do with military in some respects.

so i see it's the same in the states. i know war is a terrible thing but i like watching programs about all the conflicts that has beset man..thats one reason i got sky was to watch these channels and now there been overtaken by the tripe they put on normal tv...god dam it

The History Channel has stunk for years. I gave up cable 7 years ago, and they had gone to the peripheral programming years before that. Much of the good, quality history content was moved to their subsidiary channels, like the Military Channel. But even those channels are getting watered down.

They have to go after ratings, and it looks like sticking to a more serious program wasn't as profitable as cryptozoology and reality shows.

I do however like Ancient Aliens.....I agree that its a shame that you cant find qualoty television anymore without running into some form of reality tv. They rarely rereun the shows that were produced prior to 2006 and nobody really makes new specials becuase they know they will suffer in the ratings. Thats why I dont have cable anymore and watch what I want via Hulu and Netflix.

Pretty much the same this way in Oz. While I do watch pawnstars and ricks restorations, I tend
to watch military history via youtube. There are alot of vids that you would probably never see
on the old box anyway ;D 8)

The same thing happened with MTV and VH1.
They started playing these "reality" shows and moved away from showing music videos.
SyFy is starting to do the same, what the hell does wrestling have to do with science fiction........well.......never mind....

I would suggest ditching whatever TV service you have and get a Netflix and a Hulu account. Its cheaper, more content, less commercials...I've had no shortage of entertainment ever since I did this and saved a lot of dough.

MrNatural said:
I would suggest ditching whatever TV service you have and get a Netflix and a Hulu account. Its cheaper, more content, less commercials...I've had no shortage of entertainment ever since I did this and saved a lot of dough.

Agreed, I save myself about $70 a month not having to pay for Sattelite or Cable......that being said. Once I move back to PA and get into our house, I plan on FioS Internet and TV Bundle ( Since they're about to let you buy the channels you want instead of having 280 channels of fluff ) and end up paying only 50-75/month for the combo. Cant beat that price in todays market :)

the prob with netflix is that there is so much there you cant find anything to watch.......

and Dumping sky for it is like cutting off your right arm. not going to happen

Black Sheep 1 said:
They started playing these "reality" shows and moved away from showing music videos.
SyFy is starting to do the same, what the hell does wrestling have to do with science fiction........well.......never mind....

Don't start me on the Sly FLy channel. That thing is horrible.......

They kill off every good show that comes their way and in place of it, they put ghost hunters, or Wrestling.....

And for movie specials it is Mega Shark vs Mega squid. Really?????

Grendels said:
Black Sheep 1 said:

Don't start me on the Sly FLy channel. That thing is horrible.......

They kill off every good show that comes their way and in place of it, they put ghost hunters, or Wrestling.....

And for movie specials it is Mega Shark vs Mega squid. Really?????
MEGA SHARK VS MEGA SQUID that sounds so bad it's worth watching just to see how bad films can get

It was pretty bad. A few friends and I watched it one night after drinking a few beers. They called fighter jets by the wrong name, stock footage of said jets, the shark was very poorly done as was the squid. Really not worth it.......

Along with a big host of other stuff they are doing along the same lines....

Well here's an opposing point of view. I actually like Pawn Stars and Storage Wars, and I don't care if they're fake. They're entertaining and make me laugh, and that's what matters to me if I'm going to watch TV.

I've also noticed every show on History that is actually covering real history, is highly sensationalized and edgy. No one wants to watch a dry, boring black and white documentary. Myself included, unless I was extremely interested in the subject.

Is it History or Discovery that has that show called How its Made? I like that one too.

But I haven't had cable TV for nearly 15 years now, and won't ever pay for it again, so I don't see a lot of this stuff. I'm with MrNatural, Netflix is good value for the money. And NO COMMERCIALS! Yay! ;D

Latest posts

Back