what kinda glue are you on?

Drpepeprz

what kind of glue do you guys use for what purpose? (Brand and kind)

I must say....I'm very tired of the Testor red tube stuff! Heading to the hobby Shop asap to get me some Tamiya glue :p

Tamiya regular (white cap) and X-Thin (green cap) I use for probably 90% of my building. The rest would be CA and Gator Acrylic Glue.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Tamiya regular (white cap) and X-Thin (green cap) I use for probably 90% of my building. The rest would be CA and Gator Acrylic Glue.

Same here, you just cant beat the tamiya plastic cements.

Ditto what Ahmed said, you don't really need it as the brush in the bottle is very, very good.

I would assume you could use the looper with it, not sure as I haven't picked mine up yet.

Depends a lot on what I'm gluing, but for styrene, I've pretty much used only the testors' liquid cement for assembly.
I'll sometimes use the tube stuff if i have a smallish seam that needs work in the assembly.

Haven't ever used Tamiya glue (don't tell my wife, she's Japanese). I'm trying to get back into the hobby after too many years away, but I used to use Tenax 7r, and it worked great for me.

Extra thick CA, Di- and Trichloromethylene solvents for welding styrene, ABS and acrylic. For the cost of three bottles of Tamiya liquid cement, I can get a five year supply of either of the solvents. :)

Revell Contacta Professional for most work, its quite thin and can run away on ya but its easy enough to control once you are used to it.
I also have Tamiya extra thin when i need to get into small gaps, Tamiya CA for PE etc and Micro Kristal Klear for clear parts

I used Plastruct's liquid for a long time till I knocked that skinny B over months back :'(
Been using that Testors red label since ---what they had when I went for more . no complaints.
I remember the Plastruct being a bit more viscous but ? , not too sure now. Picked up one of the Testors Cement Pens to check it out . Like it . You can knife the felt applicator tip to a point or whatever you like .
It's more for larger joints though , even with the felt whittled down.
CA of course ,,,,,,,,,,,I like to rub it between the tip of my thumb and index finger with a good healthy pinch of baking soda .

and I really recommend that Elmer's Craft Bond ' tacky glue ' .
it's super cheap , super fast good tack dries clear .
I use it for construction as well as temp joints etc . It's more than strong enough for most static model applications and it's nice not to worry about it attacking the styrene ,
I'm sure the card modelers here know it http://www.michaels.com/Elmer's-Craft-Bond-Tacky-Glue/gc0208,default,pd.html

urumomo said:
and I really recommend that Elmer's Craft Bond ' tacky glue ' .
it's super cheap , super fast good tack dries clear .
I use it for construction as well as temp joints etc . It's more than strong enough for most static model applications and it's nice not to worry about it attacking the styrene ,
I'm sure the card modelers here know it http://www.michaels.com/Elmer's-Craft-Bond-Tacky-Glue/gc0208,default,pd.html

That is great for some stuff, but wouldn't work on plastics. Sure it will create a "bond" between the parts, but doesn't actually bond the parts together like a plastic cement does.

Naw , It doesn't fuse the plastic like a solvent cement . It's got it's niche .
My architectural models are 95% PVA 'white glue' and I use it in scratch building with styrene to complete joints that have a mechanical interface . It acts to effect an interference fit and it's got good stick .
I can literally pour it into applicable joints and not worry about damaging the surrounding plastic . and it's great for temp assembly and false-work

SOMETIMES , I use this : http://www.beaconadhesives.com/cg527.html . Again , if I need to pour glue into somewhere . This stuff is WAY runny . and it yellows .

I swear by the use of Zap-a-gap CA glue... the stuff is gel like, but dries rock hard, fills in little gaps, doesn't harm plastic, and is quick (completely dries in a few minutes). When dried it can be sanded and filed and you can get a kicker for it that when you spray it it will harden immediately. Now, for general purpose, I swear by the Testors Liquid Cement, but not in the stuff in tube or bottle with a brush. They used to make it in a plastic bottle with a metal needle like applicator. I bought this stuff 10 years ago and am still using the same bottle. I works great on styrene and the needle applicator makes it a breeze for placing just a small bead or drop exactly where you want it.

;D Thought I'd put an update here about some CA
I picked up some thin , medium and thick of this stuff from Texas Art Supply when I was in Houston the other day
http://www.handibond.com/
.... Personally - I have never had issues with the actual glue from different manufacturers but some containers trump others .
I like the containers and the price per volume rocks on these --- and , yes , the CA works very well

Very nice Grendel! tells me i,m on the right track, switched to the 2 tamiya glue (the orange label is now white i believe) and gator glue for clear parts and some PE.

Latest posts

Back