Weathering a Battleship

Shawnl86

Hello, I have a completed Revell Arizona, and I would like tips and tricks, and any ideas from other members who have experience in weathering a battleship, I have it completely glued and painted and just need to add weathering effects such as rust and dulling, I am currently looking at Vallejo Model Wash Grey and Rust, any information on these products or suggestions on other washes?

Keep in mind that capital ships ,like battleships were very well cared for I would keep the rust to a minimum, around scuppers and Hawse pipes, maybe a touch on the anchor. These ships were a point of national pride and were maintained to the highest degree possible as the pride of the fleet

Thats true if you get a chance to see a ship up close they are always very clean, due to the fact my dad was in the Canadian Navy I got to see a lot of ships from around the world and used that as guides to painting my models, The one thing I always noticed is they are very clean due to special paint used and the crew constantly cleaning and painting them.

Hi, there!
Indeed ships are usually well groomed. The main two reasons for this are to keep the ship in good fighting condition at all times and to keep the ship's company busy. A sailors life can a be exceedingly boring, so you got to keep the men busy by keeping the vessel ship-shape.
However, a ship is always dirty at the same time. One would not believe it, but it almost impossible to keep the ship clean at all times. Moderate dirt accumulation should be used. Still you need to be careful about the extend. IIRC the Revel Arizona is 1/426th scale. That means a speck of rust of 1mm² on your model measures out to nearly 2 squarefoot in real life. No self respecting captain would allow rust to show to that extend. Visible rust in that scale should be restricted to hard-to-reach areas along the hull but not at all on the superstructures.
Vertical dirt streaking should be visible along the hull in reasea for bollards and hawsepipes.
Washed should moderately be used to deepen shadows and recesses on the superstructure.
Use light and dark grey pencils moderately to trace edges of superstructures, turrets, etc to provide some highlights und help the eye to pick individual items out.
Go easy and repeat processes of weathering until you are satisfied. Try not to exaggerate.

Have fun!
Guido

Thanks Tailor, does it matter the type of pencil that you use? I’ve looked at your current post on the admiral Graf Spee, incredible job btw, the weathering is intense, if you have any video on how you weathered that or another project I wouldn’t mind taking a view! and thanks for the input arohk and john fields, being from Michigan the largest ships that I’ve seen have been the freighters which go through the Great Lakes, I’m posting a few pictures of the model and if anyone has any suggestions on improvements or parts which may need fixed or repainted please feel free to toss them my way! BTW I know the rigging is improper it does bug me but I haven’t had time to fix it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Btw... I was a Boatswain`s mate second class in the USN for nearly 10 years, so I have painted my share of these grand ladies.

Hi, Shawn!

You can basically use coloured pencils from your local staionary store. Of cause higher quality pencils may be easier to handle. Trial and error, man, to find your brand.

Streaking:
Week12_0

Pencil tracing:
Week12_1

Please don't hesitate to ask, if I can be of assistence.

Cheers,
Guidop

Hi Shawn! Nice job on this one! I managed to bust this one out a couple years back! Not a bad kit.

The fellas are certainly spot on on this, especially for the times. You have her pretty much depicted prior to 1941 whereas the sailor would have had her tip top! If she made it to an actual battle. I am sure that there would be a bit more ware-n-tear while out at sea but they would have dolled her up when she got back for sure! Salt water is an evil thing and will start eating away pretty much as the paint is drying..LOL!! So, light weathering would look nice, rusting where the guys suggested, maybe a little streaking (light) where you think some water would run off.

Along the line of what Guido was saying, you can use a light pin wash on some of the parts you want to draw attention too. This just builds the interest.

As for the Vallejo washes. I have some, in fact the ones you asked about. I do like them. They work not too much different than the enamels or oils. I found I needed to move a bit quicker on cleaning and area after application and they seemed to dry pretty quick. But being acrylic, no fumes which is nice and they are thin by nature. So if you used the grey wash for pin washes you could easily build up the look over a few applications until you like what you see! Same goes for the rust. If you used this in the anchor area as well ad the hard to reach areas for the sailors, an application or two is all you would need.

This was from somewhat recent build of a Quad where I got a chance to play around with the washes.

Quad7025.jpg

Quad7035.jpg

Quad7038.jpg

I was fortunate enough to reviews these as well when I was working on this: HERE

There are a number of products on the market today that work well....AK, Vallejo, making your own with oil paints or acrylics...just need to find what works well for you.

Good luck!

Ive had a chance to work on my Arizona, its kinda crazy because I thought I had it completed along time ago, but since I have become more serious about modeling I have found out that there is so much more to do! I have since my last post lightly painted in the port holes, and also applied Vallejo Washes, now since the Arizona was at Pearl Harbor and was well taken care of, I depicted it with very little to no weathering, however due to inexperience I found that as TRM mentioned the Vallejo washes dry very fast, if anyone uses these I would recommend only attempting one side at a time! Although im sure most know this already! Honestly Im sure I added alittle to much rust! Oops! :-X ,

DSCN3708.jpg

DSCN3710.jpg

DSCN3709.jpg

DSCN3711.jpg

DSCN3716.jpg

This actually took about 3 hours, between two days and a few applications and
cleaning and reapplying to get it to where it looked decent but it added so much
character i was impressed! I used Vallejo Rust and Grey Washes, anyone have any
more suggestons for other colors of wash? any other are areas I should use these
Washes on? any other areas of the hull I should redo or does it look correct?
Any further suggestions on detailing I would apperciate it! This ship is my first
fully completed example and im using it as a experience platform for future
ship models. Thanks for looking!
Kind Regards
Shawn

Hi Shawn! Glad to see the picture thing worked out for ya!

Nice job working the old girl! Not too uncommon to go back to a finished build and do touch ups it's knowing when to say "when"! I think the light weathering came out fine! Not too much and allows some of the features to pop. All things are a process...ships are notorious for this.

1 - Build in stages
2 - Paint in stages
3 - Weathering in stages

Practice make perfect. The more you do the easier and better you get at it. One trick I learned is on the hull; paint the Hull Red first and then mask off for the rest. Red colors have a tendency to bleed under the tape. Paint first and the problem solved.

If I had to suggest some more effects for the ship genre....AK's Naval set(s). There are two sets, 3 bottles in each. They can be purchased individually as well which is nice. There are all the colors needed to weather hulls and decks...not to mention a wide variety of "other" projects, but that is a story for another day. These are enamels and you will need thinner to clean up and work them but there are several advantages.....You can work right over acrylic paint with out worry of lifting the paint....they dry relatively fast and can be worked over a few days if needed. A little thinner and you can manipulate. If you don;t like what you see, thinner and work it off. I have used the deck wash and grey washes as pin washes and for streaking, the white salt and hull red streaking is excellent for the underside.

http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,7415.msg125700.html#msg125700

Keep at it! Ship building can be very rewarding....time consuming, but rewarding!! ;) What is your thought on your next venture?

Thanks TRM! I appreciate your continued support, I am really pleased on how this model turned out and it brings a smile to my face every time I see it, sometimes even though i know its kinda risky I take it and look at it for a few minutes admiring my work even though it is novice, however I understand this is how even the greatest of artist start out I hope that with continued research, building and support!

I have looked at the two sets you mentioned and they look excellent however alittle pricy, hopefully in the future I can make the purchase since I know that I can always go back through and use them at a later date! Thanks for the link, wow that ship really was weathered a lot more so then I want mine to be!

Ive actually started my next project, its a Heller Tirpitz 1:400 Ill start a new post with it, Ive only done a little work so far, including glueing the hall, and working on the turrets, and I just purchased 3 other models which should keep me busy for a very very long time... a year I hope!

Absolutely nothing wrong with being pleased with your own work and stepping back to admire it. Some things are quirky at first and not all will be perfect...part of the learning curve is all. Push yourself to build concentrating on a different discipline each time. That is a great goal to start...the four models you have...1 year! Each one work on different techniques as you go.

Collectively the AK, or anything else for that matter, can be a bit pricey....but individually not too bad I think. Not to mention at the amount you would use on an average ship model, one bottle will last years as they are not painted on but applied selectively. Just food for thought! If you do see them locally, pick one up and give it a shot...Streaking Grime is a wonderful product as I use it for not only streaks but pin washes, washes and have been know to use it to stain wood! LOL!

The Hikawa Maru was a bit weathered. I was trying to go for the used look she would have had as a cargo/passenger liner in the 30's. The hull would have been beat on by the sea and the topside would have been in decent shape from the diligence of her crew.....plus it was FUN! ;D

I look forward to seeing the Tirpitz come about!! Grand ship! I have the Prinz Eugen in my sights for some point in the future! Keep at it!! ;)

Latest posts

Back