WAVE S.A.F.S. Snowman Staff Sergeant David Woodwards

Lincoln Wright

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_Green.jpg

Well it's about &%#$@ time I stopped crying about the ground moving, building swaying, no milk, toilet paper or Radiation Free Tang and got back to making something important, plastic models so...

Hello Mr. Green Snowman! He’ll be white-ish soon enough. Ok, he already is, WIP photos are still catching up.

For my friends whom enquire into my random processes, -STFU Struschie :p- I tried taking some more pics along the way to break it down into little steps. The bench top/non studio photos might work better for me, they seem to interrupt my flow less which is a good thing. My “studio” shares the same workspace so…

The following correspond to here, when you hear the bell ring, turn the page and look at the pics. There's secret boobies in one of them. http://www.scale120.com/?p=3072

Start – a nice, solid base of roughly 50/50 Mahogany and Flat Black from Mr. Color in 2 light coats with a large, round brush shown.

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_5.jpg

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_3.jpg

Next a light coat of Mr. Color Field Gray, again with the same large round brush that I use for almost everything.

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_4.jpg

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_6.jpg

Next a couple of different variations on the theme, I add RLM02 Gray to lighten the base in places and some Gray Green to further lighten it in places. Not going for any kind of lighting or effects here, just breaking up the green gray finish for interest.

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_2.jpg

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_1.jpg

As you can see, I use a paint mixer from WAVE, one of the best ¥1,000 I ever spent and pour Gaia Notes T-07 “Moderate Thinner” from a home made shaker bottle inspired by Yokoyama Sensei, cleaning the paint mixer with the thinner and then using that same large round brush for all steps.

Nice and easy and it’s not a bad looking, basic green suit. You could decal this up, add a couple of washes and do a little drybrushing and call it done but I have other plans this time. ^^

Linc

Please go here and mash "like" even if you hate it. I can show Kow and Max how much gaijin love Ma.K! :D

http://www.scale120.com/?p=3072

Re: "The Show Must Go On!" Hello Mr. Snowman

Man it looks really cool.
Can't wait to see your plans full field.
Cheers

Looking forward to this one finished mr wright.

thanks Java! So do only the guys who already answer on Bryan's forum look and reply to Ma.K here? I feel bad if I'm just spamming you same guys again?

thanks Jingles. Bryan's forum is the Maschinen Krueger forum; http://maschinenkrueger.com/forum/index.php?action=unreadreplies

Really, you think more images would help?

I'm just trying to gauge interest in Ma.K here, I might be able to share some builds for the contests but you know, it's a big time & effort investment and I have more deadlines for Hobby Japan this month and don't want to stretch myself too thin.

I am not on the Ma. K forum and I do read you post!!

but with the contest, I think interest has shifted over to that thread leaving all of the normal work in progress threads kind of dead. Just give it time, Once the contest has settled in and everyone is done checking out the builds they will find this. If not they are missing out on a good post.

I just haven't commented because of my work schedule and my overly ambitious build for the contest. But I have read both of your threads and I am amazed that you had an article written up about you in a Japanese magazine.

I say keep posting, I do have a few Ma.K kits and one day I will get around to building one.......

Hey Lincoln,
Well I think there are couple reasons.
1st What Grandels said.
2nd People need to get more familiar with your work. For example when I first saw you're work (it was on Mig forum) and it was WIP I thought man this guy is Loco his using a paintbrush not airbrush for models that size. Then when I started checking your builds I thought that you don't need an airbrush when you have brush skills like you do.
3rd I think more pictures would help
4th there will be more and more replies when the work will get more advanced

You know by now that I'm really annoying and sometimes I send you more then enough messages but that's because I'm a huge fan of your work. Besides that you and Bryan were the people who "intreduce3d me" to Ma.K models which I now just love. And what do learn more and more about them but it's kind of hard when you don't know Japanese and you are such a great source of information.
My Regards
Lukasz
BTW Can't wait to see your contest entry :)

Jingles said:
Lincoln Wright said:
Really, you think more images would help?

It couldn't hurt.

Scott built a Ma.K kit a while back and interest was pretty high then, but as Grendels said, interest has shifted. Why not wait until after the contest and organise a group build? Maybe open it up to Dorvack and other series to get more interest.

People really get into things when they have the opportunity and motivation to build them.

Jingles.
That’s true but I only have one Ma.K kit and it's already started.

Re: "The Show Must Go On!" Hello Mr. Snowman - updated with more pics and words!

SAFS-Snowman-WW_2.jpg

Now getting close to his namesake, my SAFS is looking decidely more “Snowman” in his winter white wash.

I don’t have that much experience with this finish, I’ve done 2 suits in a very full and new looking snow camo and a Gans in red-primer/snow camo splinter pattern. So for this next one, I wanted to experiment with it looking slightly worn. Not too much, this is the Snowman after all and I think it should be mostly white.

Additionally, I wanted the white wash to appear to have been painting around some existing markings on the suit. To do this, I did in fact paint around some existing markings on the suit by adding a selection of the decals to the green finish first and then carefully outlining them with the white wash. It looks realistic because it is!

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_61.jpg

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_51.jpg

The larger decal was almost cooperating and after some coaxing with decal softener from Mr. Hobby I used some advice I received from Max Watanabe that he kindly explained whilst looking through his new book with him – blasting the decals with hot air from a hair dryer. It might be one of those common solutions but I had not heard of it before and it works a charm!

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_41.jpg

Next and to keep the name dropping going and prove I value my sources is one of the best tips I’ve had from master Maschinen modeller, Genzo “Drunk Dog” Ihara, to use Gaia Notes “Interior Color”, an excellent off-white to start your snow camo.

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_31.jpg

Mixing it with some self levelling thinner and using a quite old and splayed brush, I’ve given the model 2 to 3 rounds with progressively thinner paint to achieve a more layered look and to give it apparent depth which it in fact has due to the 3 different layers.

SAFS-Snowman-WIP2_.jpg

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_21.jpg

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_11.jpg

Couple more large pics of the suit here; http://www.scale120.com/?p=3090

The white wash is not completely finished, I would consider this more the foundation to apply a couple more effects and layers.

Thanks for looking, hope you get as much out of these steps as I did!!

Linc

Re: "The Show Must Go On!" Hello Mr. Snowman - updated with more pics and words!

Very nice work on this!!!!

Very nice work

As always,impressive stuff Linc,i like.

Now that's great :) Looking forward to the finish.
Cheers

Thank you all very much!! ;D

SAFS-Snowman-UP_2.jpg

Decals, Details and ID bands, adding sharpness and interest to the model.

First off I like to add the ID bands. With the roughness of the hand paint, nice, sharp ID bands can do a great deal to pull a paint scheme together. The color doesn’t necessarily need to be contrasting and here an old favourite of light blue for the Mercenary forces always looks right on snow camo.

I didn’t do anything special other than run a line of tape across to give me a base line to paint up to and used Mr. Color Sky Blue and then added more and more of the Snow Camo white wash paint to it until it looked right – it’s meant to contrast to a degree but too much and I feel it ruins the scale effect and looks a little toy-like so knocking it down helps to eliminate this. There are a number of ways of doing it, adding the models base color like this is a good one.

No special techniques, equipment nor product this time (but I will show in the future!), I’ve just left some of the white and dark spots poking through to simulate the start of worn paint which I can work further with abrasives – knife and/or sandpaper. Easy!

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_7.jpg

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_9.jpg

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_12.jpg

Please next have a look at the photo below of the SAFS hatch laid out on the artwork, the decal just doesn’t read right? The color is way off from the artwork and does not contrast enough with white. No problem, re-paint! It’s not as hard as it might sound and an excellent way to practice and build confidence to paint your own markings.

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_10.jpg

I’m thinking I want a medium, olive green so it doesn’t look too much like the base green-gray. Rummaging through my paint dishes I find a good tone of green and look for a yellow/orange tone to lighten it with. This is yet another benefit of using the Japanese lacquer paints in that I keep these from each model and can then re-use them and produce interesting and very unique colors each time. Mixing some of the desert orange into the green it produces a nice olive green.

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_8.jpg

Painting this onto the “Eggplant 6? produces a much better contrast but it’s a little too dark and perhaps not olive enough. I go to Gaia Notes paints for help as the most powerful yellow I know of, “Sunshine Yellow” and add a little to my olive green and then highlight the centre of the 6?s. That’s the one I wanted!!

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_62.jpg

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_52.jpg

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_42.jpg

Lastly I paint the “orangy” parts with straight Mr. Color Brown and add a little snow camo base to highlight. The leather padding is painted with a base of Mr. Color Mahogany and highlighted with some Dark Yellow (not sure of this one, it’s been through so many models and keeps changing with each one, I have no idea what it’s composition is now other than it’s my Go-To Dark Yellow dish!).

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_32.jpg

SAFS-Snowman-WIP_22.jpg

One little point, please have a look at the manipulator hand in the black background shot – the darker colors read much better on that background. You can see it’s been based with Dark Grey and then that’s a simple drybrush with Mr. Color Brown. It’s not the only way to do it but in this case the best because it then matches and lines up with the Nose and other details. Many easy small things that when they work can really add to your overall model and it’s presentation.

SAFS-Snowman-UP_3.jpg

In case you were wondering about the the yellow tape on the leg pipes. It’s easier (at least for me) to put them in, build the model in it’s entirety and then keep paint off them until they are ready. The plastic used is notorious for not having paint stick to it so you’d think I wouldn’t bother right? But that is the issue, any paint I get on them paint way through, especially clear spray coats, start to flake off when handling the model and generally make a mess. I find it saves me a bit of time to run a strip of tape around them and peel it off at the end and work on the pipes just the once.

Weathering coming up soon, thanks for looking through. One more Easter Egg pic on my blog, please head over and hit "like" if you are in the mood. No, I don't get paid for the traffic but it helps me to feel like I am making the world a little happier with modelling!

http://www.scale120.com/?p=3105

Linc

Lincoln Wright said:
I'm just trying to gauge interest in Ma.K here, I might be able to share some builds for the contests but you know, it's a big time & effort investment and I have more deadlines for Hobby Japan this month and don't want to stretch myself too thin.

I was surprised how many people here on this forum were into Ma.k's
As mentioned above the contest is overshadowing regular builds.
I was familiar with your great builds because of the Ma.k forums I read and from your site.

I started a Fireball a few months ago and used your work as inspiration.
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php/topic,1640.0.html
https://picasaweb.google.com/DragomirsWorkbench/MaKZbV3000MaschinenKriegerFIREBALLSAFSSpaceType#
I placed the Fireball on the back burner while I try to finish .......... my contest entry.
I'm eying the A.F.S. suit on my shelf, But I'm looking for a skull on 1:20 scale.

So,Keep posting because there is lots of interest on SMA and who knows you might tempt some builders to the dark side .....Sci-Fi Modelling ;).

Re: "The Show Must Go On!" Re-painting decals, ID Bands and orangey bits!

Nice work on that

No that's a cool SBS. If you can I would love to have more like there from you.
Cheers

Great information on the color banding. One of these days I will build up one of these. I have plenty in the "stash" just not the time to get to them.

Interesting subject! Hard to believe you hand painted it! Looks great!
I keep seeing MaK stuff. Either in stores or on line and keep wondering if I would like to
Build one?

Looks interesting enough....

Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back