War wounds and solutions

Pantherman

Hi, I have recently found that my thumb is getting increasingly sliced. It has become more apparent lately as I am removing a horrendous amount of flash from a Masterbox motorcycle.

Being our company health and safety manager I quickly found a blade resistant thumb guard online. A very easy fix for future scalpel work.

It got me thinking has anyone else had model building injuries and how did you overcome them?
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20230109_193408.jpg
    20230109_193408.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230108_221516.jpg
    20230108_221516.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230109_193305.jpg
    20230109_193305.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 6
" I have recently found that my thumb is getting increasingly sliced. "
Maybe change your technique ?
How are you continuously cutting yourself ?

" I have recently found that my thumb is getting increasingly sliced. "
Maybe change your technique ?
How are you continuously cutting yourself ?
Hi Urumomo, I hadn't realised that I was holding the knife along the back of the blade to get more control of the point instead of holding it further down the knife where I should be holding it.
I start the right way but as I get more into the cutting my brain just takes over and I forget!

So it's a poor work procedure but I'm happy with the thumb guard as it makes it almost idiot proof to get a cut now.
I get a feeling that sentence will come back to haunt me later on.

And before we get a suggestion from a certain member (you know who you are), they didn't sell the guards in pink !
Pantherman

Attachments

• 20230109_203928.jpg
    20230109_203928.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230109_203921.jpg
    20230109_203921.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230109_203947.jpg
    20230109_203947.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 4
I still have a scar on the tip of one figure, from a cut I gave myself back in 1978. I was using a Nr 2 X-Acto knife for the first time, and slipped and sliced a fingertip. I learned my lesson, though.

I still have a scar on the tip of one figure, from a cut I gave myself back in 1978. I was using a Nr 2 X-Acto knife for the first time, and slipped and sliced a fingertip. I learned my lesson, though.
Sounds nasty, at least you didn't loose the finger tip, bet that bled like a fountain.
Pantherman

After 55 years modelling I have learned to use a knife properly. If this is too much for you try a SPOON

otherwise do not cut towards yourself and for cleaning up flash, scrape with the back of a blade, use sanding sticks, pads, or jeweller's files. Stick to sharp fresh blades for better control.

I have also found that eventually you build scar tissue that do not bleed for small nicks, but will if you cut deeply.

My best ever modelling wound was by Foolishly doing some trimming sat in an easy chair, trusting in my skill to avoid the sharp scalpel blade. Wrong....... a moments watching the TV and then I was able to examine the white bone of my kneecap and where a muscle was attached in glorious technicolour, for a few seconds until the blood, flowing down my leg hid it.

Amazingly as it was such an expert surgical incision the hospital only needed a few stitches, superglue and a tetanus booster to fix me up.

since that time if sitting in am armchair, tidying components up of flash etc etc, I work with a tray on my lap.

John - Home Knee Surgeon.

After 55 years modelling I have learned to use a knife properly. If this is too much for you try a SPOON

otherwise do not cut towards yourself and for cleaning up flash, scrape with the back of a blade, use sanding sticks, pads, or jeweller's files. Stick to sharp fresh blades for better control.

I have also found that eventually you build scar tissue that do not bleed for small nicks, but will if you cut deeply.

My best ever modelling wound was by Foolishly doing some trimming sat in an easy chair, trusting in my skill to avoid the sharp scalpel blade. Wrong....... a moments watching the TV and then I was able to examine the white bone of my kneecap and where a muscle was attached in glorious technicolour, for a few seconds until the blood, flowing down my leg hid it.

Amazingly as it was such an expert surgical incision the hospital only needed a few stitches, superglue and a tetanus booster to fix me up.

since that time if sitting in am armchair, tidying components up of flash etc etc, I work with a tray on my lap.

John - Home Knee Surgeon.
At least you didn't have to join eunuch's anonymous!!
Pantherman

Sounds nasty, at least you didn't loose the finger tip, bet that bled like a fountain.
Pantherman
Yep. Had to take care of it myself, too, couldn't let Mom know I'd cut myself. That would have been the end of the edged tools ;)

Of course, I had a homemade casting pot on the bench by that time, too. I took the Bunsen burner from my old Mr Wizard chemistry set, set under a crucible made from a soda can, and used that to melt tire weights. My first foray into casting. I used plaster molds, too, and learned that they don't last long :p

Hi Urumomo, I hadn't realised that I was holding the knife along the back of the blade to get more control of the point instead of holding it further down the knife where I should be holding it.
I start the right way but as I get more into the cutting my brain just takes over and I forget!

So it's a poor work procedure but I'm happy with the thumb guard as it makes it almost idiot proof to get a cut now.
I get a feeling that sentence will come back to haunt me later on.

And before we get a suggestion from a certain member (you know who you are), they didn't sell the guards in pink !
Pantherman
I have to admit that a craftsman as a carpenter is, could use a knife in that manner. Seriously what would you say to an apprentice worker.

The best knife to get practice with for our hobby in knife skills is a good old fashioned Swann Morton Metal Scalpel handle and a selection of blades (10A is good) as this will teach you knife use as handle is designed for finger tip control.

You know that I like to take the mickey but something like hacking through flesh is to be taken seriously. My knee was one example only as I have many scars from my beloved hobby, though carelessness, tiredness, not thinking, blunt blades etc etc. Particularly with scalpel blades eye protection as they can snap with the tip being the worst.

If you keep hacking missing a 'pinky' could become missing Thumb, ring finger................ You can imagine.

I have to admit that a craftsman as a carpenter is, could use a knife in that manner. Seriously what would you say to an apprentice worker.

The best knife to get practice with for our hobby in knife skills is a good old fashioned Swann Morton Metal Scalpel handle and a selection of blades (10A is good) as this will teach you knife use as handle is designed for finger tip control.

You know that I like to take the mickey but something like hacking through flesh is to be taken seriously. My knee was one example only as I have many scars from my beloved hobby, though carelessness, tiredness, not thinking, blunt blades etc etc. Particularly with scalpel blades eye protection as they can snap with the tip being the worst.

If you keep hacking missing a 'pinky' could become missing Thumb, ring finger................ You can imagine.
I hear what you say and agree with you. That makes a change, he he.

I have found my new thumb guard very good and have now hopefully solved the problem.

I usually do everything through my magnifier light so that gives me eye protection but thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Your sparing partner, Pantherman

Attachments

• 20230109_193305.jpg
    20230109_193305.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 0
Keep 'em sharp, too. Either fresh blades, or sharpen existing ones. A dull blade makes you apply more effort and increases the chance that you'll slip and cut yourself.
True of other fields using edged tools, too. Keep your kitchen knives sharp, your woodworking knives, chisels, etc. Pocketknives. Straight razors, if you're adventurous enough to still use one.

Keep 'em sharp, too. Either fresh blades, or sharpen existing ones. A dull blade makes you apply more effort and increases the chance that you'll slip and cut yourself.
True of other fields using edged tools, too. Keep your kitchen knives sharp, your woodworking knives, chisels, etc. Pocketknives. Straight razors, if you're adventurous enough to still use one.
If I can do damage to my thumb can you imagine what would happen if I was using a straight razor!!!!
Pantherman

Latest posts

Back