Volvo A40E Dumptruck

Elm City Hobbies

Hey there everyone,

Wanted to pass on these photos of a completely scratchbuilt Volvo A40E Dumptruck. Built by Ed Allain of Moncton, New Brunswick.

Just the latest in a long line of scratchbuilt masterpieces Ed has built along the way.

AD40E1-vi.jpg

AD40E3-vi.jpg

AD40E5-vi.jpg

AD40E6-vi.jpg

AD40E8-vi.jpg

The truck features working dump box, working articulating steering, everything 100% scratchbuilt, right down to even the wheels and tires, which I thought I had a few pictures of in progress, but apparently not. Scale on the truck is 1/25.

Also some other of Ed's creations!

IMG_0076-vi.jpg
IMG_3634-vi.jpg
IMG_3635-vi.jpg
Scratchbuilt HMCS Moncton, Kingston Class Minesweeper, don't recall the scale...but I believe it is 1/48?

IMG_9804-vi.jpg

IMG_9806-vi.jpg
Scratchbuilt 1/25 Kenworth T800 Dump Truck

IMG_0061-vi.jpg
IMG_3637-vi.jpg
IMG_3638-vi.jpg
Scratchbuilt Naval Gunmount of a 40mm Bofors, again, unsure of the scale, possibly 1/25 as well?

IMG_4909-vi.jpg
IMG_1779-vi.jpg
IMG_3632-vi.jpg
Scratchbuilt 1/25 CAT 980G Payloader

IMG_4910-vi.jpg
IMG_3629-vi.jpg
IMG_3626-vi.jpg
IMG_3625-vi.jpg
Scratchbuilt 1/25 Komatsu PC800LC Excavator, complete with working shovel and arm, complete workable tracks, all scratchbuilt.

IMG_7324-vi.jpg
IMG_7325-vi.jpg
IMG_7323-vi.jpg
Scratchbuilt 1/25 Liebherr LTM1500 Mobil Crane, again completely scratchbuilt, boom moves and extends, just like the real thing.

Pictures do not do these builds justice I've seen most of these firt hand, there are amazing. The amount of work that goes into each boggles my mind. When did the Volvo get finished?

No idea, Ed was by the shop the other day, and was saying it was finished and he was on to another....some Mack Dump truck I believe. So I asked him to send me pics of the completed Volvo, and asked his permission to post them. Maybe he will join up to SMA and post here as well.

As Carsenault says....these pictures do not do these builds justice, and have to be seen in person.

Good example is the big crane....it doesn't look that big in the photos, but is probably at least 3ft long (if not more), and a good 12" high.

One other build he did, which I thought I had pictures of but don't, was a completely scratchbuilt 1/72 HMCS Halifax Frigate, complete with a scratchbuilt 1/72 SeaKing Helo on the deck. When asked why he scratchbuilt the helo, when there were more than a few kits on the market that would have made his life much easier by providing a base for the CDN Sea King, his reply was, "because I can".

The HMCS Halifax he built now resides in Halifax, but I can't remember if it is at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, or at CFB Halifax, the Naval base on the east coast.

He tells me he doesn't really keep track of it, but estimates that he has about 600 hrs of build time into the Volvo. Really all depends on how he has to got about plans. If he has to draw and scale his own plans from brochures and such, it can take longer, as well something like the big crane would likely take longer than say Volvo dumptruck.

The Excavator probably has a few more hrs into it, with 90 odd track shoes for each side, and each shoe has 5-6 parts to it, those alone would take quite a bit of time. For most it would seem monotonous to do all of them, but Ed would basically build 5 shoes a week, little bit each day while also building other parts of it. By the time the rest of the vehicle was finished, so were the shoes, and not burning yourself out trying to build them all at once!

Just looked at these pictures again and can't get over that they are scratch built ... Does help a little when it's a larger scale but still ... I feel like my builds are finger paint academy quality compared to these Ed is trully an artist. Two rock an roll thumbs up ... Hope he joins the board so I can pick his brain ... lol

I felt guilt a bit guilty about not signing on and thanking Scott for uploading pics of
my models. Appreciate the exposure. A few minor corrections, the HMCS Moncton is in 1/100 scale
which measures out at about 18 inches. My heavy equipment models are built to a 1/24 scale,
but as I have to draw my own plans, I am sure sure if calipers were put to the model it, some parts
would vary from 1/26 to 1/23 in some areas, so 1/25 is a good average. for those interested I
have what I call a show off website www.edscalemodels.com. Thanks again Scott.

Thanks for posting the website Ed, I was going to add it to the above, but seemed to have lost my bookmark, Googled you, but nothing came up.

And apparently I goofed on the HMCS Halifax....as it is 1/100 scale and not 1/72

Ed, welcome to SMA! Yes, I too have seen these in person and they are nothing short of what has already been said here. Simply unbelievable.

Funny, I thought about Ed today - I'm short in Tenax and need to restock. You (he) recommended it for scratch building with styrene.

I believe this is Ed's Mack Granite and Kenworth T800. Both are scratch built and incredible.

[attachment deleted by admin]

WOW !!! Thats real modelling !! Love the subjects too .....all look fantastic :)

Chris.

Latest posts

Back