Vampire Countess

longlance67

cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war -shakespear
Howdie all,

taking a break from the 251 project over at the armor section, I found this little beauty in the hobby store, and thought to myself hey the other half would like this one so i picked it up for her :)

P1100399.jpg

The figure is part of Warhammer's Fine Cast series, ive dabbled with GW products over the years and was curious to see how GW's foray into resin models is shaping up. The small blister pack contains one resin spure containing the four parts that make up the model.

P1100404.jpg

On examing the quality of the cast, i noticed a lot of flash, not luckily no bubble marks. The only thing that was wrong was that the sword was bent :(

i beleive it can be bent back to shape by softing the resin in warm water ?

im looking forward to painting this great little figure

cheers

shane

Hey Shane :)

Interesting little figure ,looks like a fun paint !! something a bit different eh :) Cant wait to see what you do with this one buddy .

Yeah ...warm water will straighten out the resin ;)

Chris.

Hi chris,

Thats one of the reasons i picked this lovely figure was try to somthing new, as for colours, im thinking a rich purple dress, white underdress trimmed with a blue voilet. The armor im thinking of keeping it to painting guide on the cover, or maybe trying a metalic green.

The flesh is a challange in its own right, it has be pale as its femine and not to mention a vampire at that ;)
so im thinking of lighting darkflesh with a few drops of white, then highlighting with sunnyflesh tone and then adding a wash of brunt sinnea to add a little depht to the skin

well thats the plan,

better polish the magnifying glass cause i sense a lot detail painting afoot ;)

cheers

shane

Hmmm... Looks like you got lucky...

There have been an awful lot of problems with the “Finecast” plastic-resin. Or rather, with the QA department that lets a lot of “Failcast” models out of the door...

If you got one without any major bubbles or warping, then consider yourself lucky.

And while I’m at it, be careful with the sword. I’m hearing rumours that the plastic-resin has some “memory” in it and will slowly return to the original position. Repeated heatings followed by a quick dunking in cold water, is recommended.

It is a nice model though. Been looking at it myself but couldn’t find a blister that didn’t contain major flaws.
Besides, I probably ought to stick with my 40K Orcs – one army is expensive enough, thank you very much...

- F2k,

Cheers for the comment, and have to argee that finecast isnt what many GW was hoping for, mine example did on closer inspection suffer from a fair amount of bubbling in the cast, though im not putt of by this it adds a lot of tricky filling and sanding to the project, i do intend to build a few more finecast figures in the future.......but least the packaging comes in clear plastic allowing for at least some inspection

TRM - Thanks for the comment, glad to have you onboard mate

cheers,

shane

I’m glad that you’re not put off by my, in hindsight, somewhat harsh comment.

Speaking as a gamer and modeller, I do not appreciate “a lot of tricky filling and sanding” being part of my projects. When paying the kind of money Games Workshop is asking I expect to get a flawless model – if not one made of pure gold – in return.

Right now I’m looking at getting Gorbad Ironclaw as a basis for Kaptin Irongutz and his trusty cyberboar “Gitbiter”. But buying a Finecast model without being able to inspect it...

Brrrrr...

I’m not exactly looking forward to it...

- F2k,

your comment wasnt harsh at all buddy, it was an honest veiw from a gamers prospective. Id have to agree with you for what you pay for GW often dont make the cut, warped parts and flash seem to be common, on saying that they turn out some lovely mini's its really the luck of the pick when it comes to the quality of mould.

BUILD UPDATE

before i removed the parts from the spure i washed the parts in warm soapy water to remove any grease or release powder from the parts.

P1100405.jpg

once the parts were dry i began to remove them form the spure, when i noticed more bubble marks in the knockles of her sword hand, this will prove a hard job to fill without damaging the fingers
Other than that i the figure went togehter very quickly with CA glue

P1100423.jpg

P1100424.jpg

now all she needs is a coat of primer and painting can begin ;D

cheers,

shane

The luck of the pick...

Yeah...

Interestingly, on WarSeer we're debating that exact model right now. A few examples of "Finecast"...

Did you do anything to the sword? It looks fairly straight in the last pictures...

f2k said:
Did you do anything to the sword? It looks fairly straight in the last pictures...

yes the sword was wrapped and required me to reshape it in hot water a couple of times,

also picked up some paints today ;D

shane

Good work getting that assembled. Looks like alot of delicate details. Paint will be interesting for sure.

Hi Scott,

thanks for dropping by, it will be a very slow painting process with a lot detail that could be distroyed if i go too heavy on the paint :-\

Howdie ALL,

Its time to break out the paints and brushes and get rolling ;D I layed out the colours I needed and had to pick up a few cithedal colours from the local hobby shop for the various purple tones I would require, after laying eyerthing out it struck me "man thats whole lot of paints" ;)

P1100433.jpg

The figure first got a coat of GW's choas black primer spray, this would also act as my basecoat and show up the details a little better

P1100431.jpg

Normally I start painting from bottom up rather than the head down......i know strange :p........but id thought to i would conform to the face first approach. As a basecoat i mixed vallejo's Dark Flesh and Flat white in a ratio of 2:1. This would give me a more darker tone than the box art but i didnt want my figure to be too corpse like ;)

P1100440.jpg

Once set I added the first highlight which consisted of the same mix of the basecoat but with double the amount of white. Also Her hair got its basecoat of Mahogany sand

P1100443.jpg

Ive allowed it to set before I add a wash of brunt Sinnea and more higlights of thinned elf flesh.

more updates to follow

cheers,

shane

Howdie All :)

firstly thank you all so much for all your support and kind words I really appreciate them all ;D

Painting Update: First higlights and shadows

After allowing the model to dry for 24hours I began the second stage of the face painting.....the adding of the first shadows and highlights. First a medium wash of Burnt Sienna acrylic was applied to all the flesh areas. I find burnt sienna the best medium for adding depth to the model.

Once the wash had set, a highlight of Elf Flesh to the forehead, cheekbones, ears and chin. Also i began to layer the shades for her hair starting with a drybrush of red leather

P1100450.jpg

I also began to lay the base coat of the dress with Citadel Hormagaunt Purple
Once the skin shade had set, i began to paint in the details, the fangs were picked out with flat white with an ultra fine brush. The lips got a coat of dark red. I picked out the whites of the eyes with Citadel bleached bone and pupils with a pale green

P1100454.jpg

P1100454.jpg

thats all for now gents

cheers

shane

longlance67, looking good, nice paint on that female vamp!
You know, you are absolutely right, that "finecast" is a nightmare!!!
It should be criminal, the prices they charge for an inferior product.
Criminal!
Look forward to the next installment.

Latest posts

Back