Vallejo Metal Colors Review

Elm City Hobbies

Hey there everyone,

These paints are apparently out in Europe, expecting them sometime in September in North America.

Vallejo's new paint line, Metal Color. Basically an acrylic equivalent to the Alclad metallics. I was sent a few samples from Vallejo to try out and I am sold. The only color that doesn't perform as well (IMHO) is the chrome. While I think it is a nice color, it just doesn't look like chrome that you would use on a car bumper.

17 colors, plus a Gloss Black Primer, and a Gloss Varnish. No the varnish is not the same as their other varnishes, it is specially formulated to use with their Metal Color paints. That being said, you should be able to use it on their other paints as well. Not the same I say, as it doesn't smell the same as the others.

All the metallic paints have no smell. The varnish and primer have some smell, to me, they smell like cheap Avon Bubblebath, if anyone remembers that (my Grandmother loved that stuff, so the smell is imprinted on my brain fairly well!)

Anyway, here are the colors coming in the line:

MetalColorSwatches-vi.jpg

All metallic colors available in a 32ml bottle (same bottle type that their Wash Line comes in), Gloss Varnish will be available in 32ml and 60ml, as well the Gloss Black Primer will be available in 32ml, 60ml, and 200ml. Not 100% sure if the larger sizes are coming out at the same time as the main line, or just later one.

I have tested these out on plastic spoons here at the shop, and the 4 sample colors I got all worked very nice. I did not take photos of the painted spoons as I don't think that photos really do these paints justice. The paints do have to be stirred/shaken quite well to get the metallic flakes off of the bottom of the bottle. Cleans up with Vallejo AB Cleaner quite nicely, and is going to be an excellent addition to the Vallejo line, and an excellent alternative to Alclad Lacquers, and AK Enamels, for those that don't want to use the harsher chemical paints.

Phil Flory at Flory Models did a review of the colors he bought, and posted a video on youtube about it today, but rather than go there, you can see it for yourself right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKtJ2sx3VJY

I will be bringing these into the shop once they are available, not sure on pricing at this time.

EDIT:

Just to add to this, found this picture of one of the Vallejo reps trying out all the colors on plastic spoons. Names aren't with the colors, but you can pretty much figure it out from the color chart above.

MetalColorSpoons-vi.jpg

These are probably the best metalics available in Acrylic form they definitely don't perform like Alclad or the other metalizers available. they are still great paints but their not designed to go head to head with Alclad.

adampolo13 said:
These are probably the best metalics available in Acrylic form they definitely don't perform like Alclad or the other metalizers available. they are still great paints but their not designed to go head to head with Alclad.

Adam, I would have to disagree with that statement. That's is sort of like saying GM doesn't build cars to compete with Ford. Just like the AK Metallics, the Vallejo Metal Color were designed to compete with Alclad, AK and apparently now the re-bottled Alclad being put into Ammo bottles.

Color names even match those in the Alclad line, so they were definitely designed (and have been worked on for over 3yrs according to Vallejo), to go head to head with the rest of them.

Only thing different is they are acrylic, rather than solvent based. The one downside of the acrylic is usually a larger pigment size, which can, and usually does result in a slightly grainier finish. Having used both Alclad and these Vallejo paints....while the Alclad will always give a more "plate" metal finish (due to the fact that they are lacquer and a smaller pigment size because of a solvent base), these are a pretty close 2nd as far as looks. I haven't tried the AK ones, but they are just more of the same as compared to Alclad just a different company.

No the chrome doesn't look like chrome plating you would see on a car bumper, but I don't believe that is possibly with an acrylic medium due to the size the pigment particles need to be, still looks good, just not chrome plating good.

Simple to use, simple to clean, and I dare say that if someone used these to do a NMF finish on an aircraft, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference unless you got up close and personal with the kit. Pictures and videos don't do this paint justice unfortunately, and they look much better in person.

I'm definitely not saying they're bad paints but like you said they're acrylic based. They're not buffable and therefore it's impossible to buff them like you can with Alclad etc. they will be great for certain applications but for those who really want the best metal finish it'll always be a lacquer based paint.

Neither Alclad, AK, or Vallejo are billed as a "buffable" paint.

However they all can be buffed if you want them to be, which Phil demonstrated with the Vallejo paints in the video.

I will say this, while the acrylic metallics may not have quite the luster of the lacquers.....they are also not as fragile as the lacquers. I have had Alclad paint that was well cured, still come off in my hands with light handling.....so far with the Vallejo acrylics, once cured, they are hard as nails to get off with regular handling.

Came across this when research Vallejo paints.
So, from what I can gather here, if you want a standard metal finish, like steel, or gunmetal then these are really good for that. For a shiney metal finish like chrome or gold then the Alclads still win?
I'm asking because I will be doing alot of Gunpla kits and have used Alcald steel on one already. Although the finish is good, the clean up is a drag being that the paint is lacquer. A good, strong acrylic alternative would be good to try.

That depends on the finish you are looking for.

If you are looking for a "mirrored" chrome finish, then no, the Vallejo ones won't do that, their chrome is more like what you would see on a natural metal aircraft. It does have some reffectiveness to it, but not like say a mirror chrome finish you would get on a car bumper.

Ditto with the gold, if you are looking for a mirrored gold finish, although I don't know if there is an Alclad color that will do that.

Steel, shouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts

Back