Using paint masks over Micro Kristal Klear

Thereal9thdoctor

Hey all. Got a question... So I am about to start painting the saucer on my 1/350 TOS enterprise build, and I goofed and added Micro Kristal Klear to fill the windows and make them flush to the hull as I built the saucer. Now obviously I am masking the windows off, but now I worry my paint masks will damage or pull up or off the MKK. Anybody ever tried paint masks over MKK, and do they damage it? I have the kit windows glued in, and the MKK was used as said to fill gaps and make the windows flush to the hull.

Any assist is appreciated.

One way to find out . ;)
What options would you have ?
Test a window or 2 and see -- worst case scenario you'll need to re-do the MKK .

One way to find out . ;)
What options would you have ?
Test a window or 2 and see -- worst case scenario you'll need to re-do the MKK .
Yeah, that is what I am thinking. Zoe suggested just ripping all the MKK off now, but A. Don't want to, and B. The stuff worked so well the first time.

Well, after we get back from Sam's tomight I will find out I guess.

I'd leave it in and see how it fares .
Yep. That is my plan. Since its sticky even when dry, I am toying with maybe dusting them slightly with talcum powder, just to knock the window stickiness down. There is of course the possibility it will affect the adhesion of the masks, but the windows seem stickier.

Good that there's no issues .
I'd spray them with gloss clear-coat ( acrylic ) if I thought the sticky was an issue . That talc might become a permanent addition ! o_O

Good that there's no issues .
I'd spray them with gloss clear-coat ( acrylic ) if I thought the sticky was an issue . That talc might become a permanent addition ! o_O
I would likely use my brush on clear acrylic rather than spray. Since MKK is similar to white glue I'd be concerned about some kind of side effects since spray can acrylics don't seem the same as the normal type we all use.

The problem you had was with the alkyd resin clear .
The spray can acrylics are lacquer acrylics so they are kinda " hot " with solvents but that won't damage PVA.
Maybe Santa will bring you an airbrush !

Latest posts

Back