Ultraman

Yes .
I ate an entire box of Nilla wafers watching it one day .
I was probably 5 .
I'll never forget sticking my hand in the box and refusing to believe I had emptied it -- followed by the thought of what mom was going to say .
Now , over a half century later , it's what I remember when the subject of Ultraman comes up , lulz

I still refuse to believe that happened . ;)

Yes .
I ate an entire box of Nilla wafers watching it one day .
I was probably 5 .
I'll never forget sticking my hand in the box and refusing to believe I had emptied it -- followed by the thought of what mom was going to say .
Now , over a half century later , it's what I remember when the subject of Ultraman comes up , lulz

I still refuse to believe that happened . ;)
Funny. I had my wife sit and watch a couple of the episodes because she had never seen it. It's undubbed so it's all in Japanese. You can get english subtitles with the CC option but man they speak fast and you gotta read fast. My days of reading fast are dwindling away. LOL

Ohhhhhh yeah! When I was a kid, one of the local Philly UHF stations aired it. They had a kids' show in the afternoon. "Ultraman" was one of the offerings, and a couple of Japanese cartoons (today, we'd sniff disapprovingly and call 'em, "anime") like "Marine Boy", "Speed Racer", "Tobor the Eight Man", and "Kimba the White Lion".

I was a big fan of monster movies (kaiju?! what's a kaiju? In 1974, they were monster movies), Godzilla, Rodan, Gamera (the Good Monster, Friend to All Children), and others. The same station showed monster and horror movies Saturday afternoons. So yeah, "Ultraman" was one I never missed. All the characters were great-Hayata, Ito for comic reliefe, Hiroshi as the tough guy, Fuji-who I thought was pretty, even when I was only 8, and Captain Mura (later, as I read more WWII history, I wondered if he had a carrier sunk from under him, but couldn't go down with the ship, and lived with that ever after).

"Johnny Sokko" and "Space Giants" were fun to watch, but "Ultraman" was the best of all of 'em.

By the time I was in high school, the programming had changed and no one aired it. But one of the other local UHF stations picked up "Star Blazers" and showed it in the afternoons. We used to rush home to gather at this or that friend's house to watch it.

I got myself one of the DVD releases of "Ultraman", though, and I'll put it in and have a marathon every now and again.

Ohhhhhh yeah! When I was a kid, one of the local Philly UHF stations aired it. They had a kids' show in the afternoon. "Ultraman" was one of the offerings, and a couple of Japanese cartoons (today, we'd sniff disapprovingly and call 'em, "anime") like "Marine Boy", "Speed Racer", "Tobor the Eight Man", and "Kimba the White Lion".

I was a big fan of monster movies (kaiju?! what's a kaiju? In 1974, they were monster movies), Godzilla, Rodan, Gamera (the Good Monster, Friend to All Children), and others. The same station showed monster and horror movies Saturday afternoons. So yeah, "Ultraman" was one I never missed. All the characters were great-Hayata, Ito for comic reliefe, Hiroshi as the tough guy, Fuji-who I thought was pretty, even when I was only 8, and Captain Mura (later, as I read more WWII history, I wondered if he had a carrier sunk from under him, but couldn't go down with the ship, and lived with that ever after).

"Johnny Sokko" and "Space Giants" were fun to watch, but "Ultraman" was the best of all of 'em.

By the time I was in high school, the programming had changed and no one aired it. But one of the other local UHF stations picked up "Star Blazers" and showed it in the afternoons. We used to rush home to gather at this or that friend's house to watch it.

I got myself one of the DVD releases of "Ultraman", though, and I'll put it in and have a marathon every now and again.
Now that's some Japanese entertainment history there and based on your enjoyment of it you should check out Pluto.tv, I've found Ultraman and Godzilla movies on there on demand, and it's a free streaming service.

Latest posts

Back