U.S. Moon Ship

Go Flight

I was eager to build this model as it was the first one I ever built as a kid, prolly around 1967-68. Thiks time it is put out by Round 2 but kept the retro Lindberg box -
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JAsrpNo9wmA/Vvlg1kLG7aI/AAAAAAAABhM/U792fduUg-sNcPuLpaujW7JQTMQdiCtPA/s320/001.JPG
I hope it urns out better than when I was 7. :wink: :oops:

After cleaning it up, I primed and preshaded the crap out of it (hehe) -
001%2B%25282%2529.JPG

The next day I assembled the craft. Boy, this was bringing back memories of me at the kitchen table with the newspapers put down and Mom making dinner.
005.jpg

For whatever reason, when I'm painting white, to me, it's always a gray until it's too late. There's so many coats on it that I obliterated the preshading. Sigh :roll:
Ugh did you see what I did? I put the 2 frames with the extra components on the same side.They are supposed to be on opposite sides... maybe I can't build it better than a 7 year old... But too late to change it.

The little astronauts looked ok so I primed with black and then drybrushed the white uniform color over it. It was then that I "saw" all the flash. So I took an Xacto to the men and clean them up and repainted -
005.JPG

While I was waiting for everything to dry, I took some spackle to the base, and as the spackle was drying I made craters with some sculpting tools -
002.JPG

The tools -
003.JPG

It it with some paint and it ended up like this -
006.JPG

The center of the field really isn't white it's more of a light gray.

The decals were very thick and I had to put slits in the star decal to get it to conform to the curve. The checkerboard decal also needed some help. I ended up giving it about 5 or 6 coats of Micro Sol to get them to sit down well enuff.
Finally I glued the Moon Ship onto the base and then placed the astronauts. Thanks for looking.
007.jpg

Ha ! ;D
Love It !

... it looks like the guy with his hand on the landing strut is saying " What ? . What da ya mean we're ' locked out ' ? "

I remember building that in the seventies it was one of my favorite models back then

Awesome work!

I have a small plastic toy version of something very similar to this ship molded in yellow plastic. There were a few other pieces in the set. I had long forgotten what it was supposed to be, now I know!

I found it
http://www.angelfire.com/biz/toysoldierhq/zmxapollo1.jpg

Thanks all.
Yep, it brought back a lot of memories. I'm sure back then I knew I was finished the model when there was no more glue left in the new tube. Hehe

Latest posts

Back