Trumpeter Grizzly (Early) WIP

J14

Thought I would share the latest project I am working on. As the title says its Trumpeters Canadian AVGP Grizzly (Early)

This kits has its flaws as outlined in this very comprehensive review. I took extensive notes from it to build mine.

Grizzly Review

I won't go into all the flaws but the main ones are the turret has the angles wrong, OOB the kit is a mid version instead of an early. ( Not a huge deal as you just have to leave off or add certain parts as outlined in the review)

It has a bit of flash and alot of the location holes are undersized so adding small parts has been a bit of a pain. Dry fitting is key! Its not a Tamiya kit by any means. (Or one of Trumpys better molded kits) Its takes a bit of sweet talking and soft music to do what you want. :)

However its been fun to build this thing. I mean who would have though we would have ever seen one in plastic? It looks like a Grizzly to me even with the turret angles wrong. I used to see them drive by my house when I was a kid.

So I refuse to get too hung up on its flaws.

My additions are new MG barrels, going to scratch new jerry can holders on rear hull, replace headlights, add some wiring. New antennas. Plus a few other details that are lacking. I think I might splurge and get AM resin tires for it too. I think somebody makes some.

It will be painted in the old 3 colour scheme that Canada used in the 80's and early 90's before they went to the all green fleet.

So here are some pics of my build. Its about 90% complete. None of the hull pieces are glued together yet. Just wanted to show roughly what it looks like. The green paint is from where I filled some holes in the hull for parts that arn't used for this version and for the jerry can racks which are too low. Used the paint to see if they were filled properly.

Enjoy! Jeff

Grizzly007.jpg

Grizzly003.jpg

Grizzly002.jpg

Grizzly001.jpg

Very cool Jeffm Looks like you have done a fine job on it

I love these vehicles. I look forward to seing your progress. It is looking very good so far.

Its going pretty good.

I got the marine drives finished up last night. They were very fiddly to put together. The parts are a bit warped with a fair bit of flash. I had to glue on one piece at a time, then let it set before I went to the next part. Even still I am not totally happy with how they are sitting. Going to tweak it a bit more and see if I can get it sit right. You can see the prop guard on the right is crooked. It was really warped and it been a real challenge to straightened out.

Grizzly002-1.jpg

I also replaced the headlights with the ones from AFV Clubs M151 RWS accesory set. They are just a little more detailed then the ones in the kit.

Grizzly003-1.jpg

Not going to get much more done over the next week or so. Going to the cottage with the family next week so this one will have to wait till I get back. I am thinking I might bring my Grizzly late kit up and build that in the evenings after the kids go to bed. :)

Cheers Jeff

I also have the Trumpeter Late Grizzly kit.

One of the most noticable changes is the larger Michelin 325/85 R15 XML tires which came into use in 1998.

Just for fun I took the tires from that kit and put them on my early(mid) kit. Thought you might like to see how different it makes the vehicle look. Sure gives a more aggressive look.

Grizzly004.jpg

11x16 tires fitted with Hutchinson run flat inserts.

Grizzly005.jpg

Michelin 325/85 R15 XML tires

Jeff

Ah, memories of my Cougar build coming back... hoping to see the Husky recovery vehicle variant get released in the near future too! Looking good!

Latest posts

Back