IMG_7681-vi.jpg

IMG_7682-vi.jpg

IMG_7683-vi.jpg

IMG_7684-vi.jpg

IMG_7685-vi.jpg

IMG_7686-vi.jpg

IMG_7687-vi.jpg

IMG_7688-vi.jpg

Close to the house, but thankfully didn't catch it on fire, between me closing the hood back up and playing fire bucket brigade to keep the flames down while waiting for the fire dept. to arrive (15mins later), no one was hurt (although my lungs are screwed for the next day or so), and no other damage.

On the bright side...I have excellent reference photos if I want to do a burned out vehicle!! LOL

Good to hear you're ok Scott ,good thing you were'nt in it at the time ! ,sure you're gutted about the truck tho' she looked a nice one .

Dont let T see that :-X

Chris.

so thats how you get the cracked paint effect...

Scott that sucks big hairy ones for sure. Fine looking truck it was, Will your insurance cover it? and how in gods name did it catch fire?

Sooo.. how much for the truck?

All kidding aside, the important thing is that nobody was hurt. Glad to hear that you're OK, Scott!

Yeah, was my Dad's truck, and I got it when he passed away.

Worked well up until today.

Do have fire insurance on it....so no problem there, cost more to repair than it is worth, so right off for sure. I was more worried about the house since it was sitting pretty close.

No idea what cause it...had to be a fuel leak up front somewhere, as when I first saw smoke, I popped the hood and it was all on fire between the back of the engine and the firewall, and I smelled gas just before I saw the smoke.

Thing is....the engine was cold, so even with a fuel leak, it would need an ignition source....so not sure how it ignited.

It may be the wiring, we had several incident like that here in our city,
as per the owner he just saw smoke thought he might have an overheat
but was shocked when the smoke came out in his aircon.
Might be a shorted wire near the batt.

Don't let T see this he might make a replica :)

Eastrock said:
It may be the wiring, we had several incident like that here in our city,
as per the owner he just saw smoke thought he might have an overheat
but was shocked when the smoke came out in his aircon.
Might be a shorted wire near the batt.

Don't let T see this he might make a replica :)

Nah....had to be a gas leak....yeah wiring can burn, but wouldn't flare up like it did, like we are talking 6ft raging flames between the back of the engine and the firewall when I opened the hood. Which btw, a firewall....yeah...that is a misnomer, I had a look today and the whole top of the dash from the passenger side over to the center of the driver's side is just gone where the fire came back through the interior.

And, I smelled gas just before I saw the smoke from under the hood. Thing I can't figure out is how the gas ignited, as the engine was stone cold.

As well, when I first started it, it ran for a second and quit, started it again, ran for a second and quit, and when I turned the key again, it sounded like it wasn't getting any fuel, so I have a feeling the fuel line broke, but still doesn't explain how it got ignited...unless some of the fuel got into the ignition system, and when I tried to start it the last time it ignited the fuel.

Either way....insurance appraiser was here today, so I should find out in a couple of days the status, and while they can't tell you on the spot, he indicated that it would likely be a right off.

SNAP!!! :eek:

First Scott, let me say you have my condolences on the Dodge and that I am glad to hear the yourself, family and home are safe!!!

With that out of the way....

..thanks for the plug CS & ER!!! :-*

Next....

Holy S&*T!!! :-X Gotta love those pics brotha', for reference purposes alone!!! Flaking paint and melted wires...soot on the fender even with some streaking!!! You know it, I would love to find a nice plastic Dodge to wreck like that!!! Those pics are tremendous!!! LOL...I have that Chrysler 300 in the stash, that would make one heck of a melted mess!! Must be strong!!

Thanks for posting!

Be safe buddy!! ;)

Scott ,if the fuel line broke somewhere near the engine ,its quite possible that the alternater sparked the fire ,I've seen that before ..a few times ,the fuel squirts into the alt you turn the engine over ..bang fuel ignites !!!

Chris.

I agree with Chris, about the Alternator... now the question is how did a fuel line broke? due to cold?

Now we already gave T, an Idea ;D

No idea....but it wasn't that cold yesterday when I went out...right around freezing, I have been out in it before when it was much colder and started with no problem.

Only thing I could think is if the fuel line was old and weak. And under the pressure from the fuel pump it just burst.

Its possible about the alternator....never thought of that...basically an open electric motor, the fumes at least (which would what would have ignited) could have gotten in there, and it flashed back to the fuel leak.

Either way....just got a call from the insurance company.....they are going to consider it a total right off, and are issuing a sizable cheque...much more than I expected, and even sending someone to take away the truck...so I basically have to do nothing.

Yes...great for reference shots....I took the photos just to cover my own ass in case I needed them, but turns out they will be of use afterwards as well!! LOL

IF they let it sit here a couple of days...maybe some rust will set in on the hood where the paint is burnt off....might be worth a couple more pics! LOL

good to hear you are getting it sortid Scott timer for that sports car now eh ..

SCOTT,

WoW !! Insane. Good thing you weren't driving when that happened ! NoDoubt Great reference for a Burned out vehicle !!

I know what it was ..... You were just building a 1:1 scale Burned out vehicle ?? ;D

No...wasn't driving at the time, but would have been 30 secs later if it had of started.

I guess on the brights side, I:

A: Didn't burn the house down in the process

and

B: It didn't happen on the road or in someone else's driveway with the potential for damages to other property.

And yeah...some great ref. photos.

The downside....I am without a truck, which since it was a 2nd vehicle, and only got used once a week or so, (but nice to have a truck when you need one!)

And

My wife has about 1/3 to 1/2 the insurance money spent already! LOL Something about a new fridge and stove! LOL

spud said:
lol typical woman then?

Well...no....we have needed a new fridge and stove for awhile. When we bought the house, we had to buy for here, and not having enough money for new, we bought used....fridge, stove and dishwasher for $400.

Never had the dishwasher installed, and when we did a kitchen reno we had one built in, so bought it new, but still have the old fridge and stove. We were saving money each month....but with the insurance cheque, just means we can buy them now. The rest of the money just goes on the line of credit, so I don't see any of it! :'( :'(

Ahh well, that's not true, I am buying a bigger magazine rack for the shop...lol....not exactly thrilling, but something I need! LOL

lol im sure she will cook you a mighty meal on that new stove ;D

Latest posts

Back