Trees... Please Help!

austin132010

Hey guys I am going to start a diorama in 1/72 scale. Any tips on how tall the trees should be or the cheapest place to get them?

I was thinking around 3 to 4 inches.

Search for info on HO gauge (SCALE) trees for train/model railroad.

They'll fit a 1/72 build just fine. Lots of info on forums and youTube. You can build em or buy em.

Woodland Scenics makes great trees in HO scale. Not sure if theyre the cheapest but they sure are nice

i have built a few trees myself, so has John, if you dont like the store boughten ones, take some extra copper wire you got, twist the bottom end around really tight, then take the top end and branch them out like tree branches... take your branches and paint them what ever wood color you prefer, then take some CA glue and coat the branches real thick, then sprinkle a whole lot of foliage stuff on the branches, you can get some nice looking trees.

for a winterized look, kinda go with the tree being bare, take some spackle, light weight spackle prefered, and mix it with some future so its a little thicker than paint, and brush it on top of the branches to give it a snowed on look, thats what i did for my Dogfight Diorama. but thats 1/48th scale, but still go check it out if ya want to see what i mean.

Woodlands scenics have tree kits, mixture of plastic trees and tree "leaf" material (more of a starter kit - they also have it as separate items too), but they also have tree Fine Leaf foliage, that comes in a box. Depending on how big you want the trees, you could use this stuff - it pulls apart and you can easily make trees and shrubs of dense or sparse appearance.

It comes in several colours - but the boxes tend to be expensive - I can usually get a few tall 5 scale meter tall trees out of the box - the rest of the material becomes harder to use on its own - this is where the rest of the woodland scenics ranges comes into play - so this method can be expensive.
I'm also using balsa wood (whittled down) as the tree trunks and using the left over Foliage as the branches - bit time consuming, but you can make larger trees than just the foliage by itself

The trees in this little dio are all woodlandscenics Tree Foliage

100_1250.jpg

100_1249.jpg

100_1248.jpg

Latest posts

Back