Tools

hooterville75

When your buying tools. Does it matter what the name of the tool is if it does the same job ? Ive recently been searching around Amazon.com looking to buy some new tools because I have some gift cards I need to use up on amazon. I ran upon a hobby knife set that is some no name. Three handles, various blades for $5. It appears I can put my own X-acto blades I already have on the handles.

Also cutting mats. Is there a difference ? As long as its a self healing cutting mat ? Ive found cutting mats for $5 as well.

In general when it comes to tools I guess my question is do you need to pay for the top names especially being a beginner or is it like jeans or sneakers, your paying for the name on the tool ?

Some name brand tools are worth the money. Any kind of tools that are an investment and should last a long time you should probably buy a good tool now, no matter the price, rather than end up having to replace it fairly soon; such as airbrushes, compressors, PE folding rigs, sprue cutters. You get what you pay for.

But some tools are meant to be used and thrown after awhile. Tools like that you don't really need to spend a lot of money on. The main tools that come to mind are x-acto blades and sand paper.

Any brand of self healing cutting mat will do. It really comes down to what size of mat you want.

That's what I figured but just wanted to check. I have a Badger Patriot 105 airbrush, Craftsman Compressor, (haven't gotten into photo etch yet but am going to be doing so soon), sprue cutters I've got to pick up yet, and already have an X-acto knife but am looking to update as Id like to pick up another couple handles. Want to get a airbrush cleaning station, sprue cutters, then look into the photo etch parts. Being on a limited budget, I have to cut corners when I can which is why Im always looking for a bargain lol. Been doing well so far. Just got lucky on ebay for paint the other night. Got forty bottles of Model Master Acrylic and Enamel for $45 shipped to my door. Do what I can each month and keep on trucken with the kits I already have. Also throw in the spray booth in currently building. I have the cabinet, Bilge Blower motor, and the ATX power supply I'm using as the exhaust, just have to get the parts I need yet to fully convert the ATX (LED light, Resisters, and Heat shrink tube). That is the first of December.

Once I get everything I need, then Ill start branching off into new kits. I have a nice stash of racing cars so Im set there. Would eventually like to give Aircraft and Armor a try here in do time. Its been fun to this point.

Cutting mats, there are a big diff when it comes to brands/prices. But I know the more expensive I pay for one, I will be using it longer than the $2 ones. The $2 ones I am using does not self heal but I can use it for another half year or so.

X-acto, any other brands does the same thing.

Airbrushes, go for Paasche if you want something that does its job like those expensive imported ones and also something that will last so long you can pass it to your children and they pass it along to theirs. Yes, I have a bunch of Iwata airbrushes but I keep going back to my Paasche.

Sprue Cutters, stick with the branded ones.

B

i have some no name cutting tools but lately im after falling in love with my swan-mortan scalpel the blades are a bugger to get out, but i believe the is a tool for that,

do i buy names stuff nope no point cheapo will do the same. most of the time

I agree Spud. If I had the money to buy all the name brand stuff, sure I would but when it comes to laying out money the less I got to lay out at one time the better. If I get a no name brand and it only lasts me a year, then in another year Ill lay out the same cheap amount and be good for another year. I am however going to be investing in some scapels as Im told doing bare metal foil on the cars is alot easier with a sharp scapel vs a xacto blade. Airbrush wise Ill stick to Badger all day every day however I am hearing alot of good things about the Paasche H series. Just cant force myself to try one though because of being bias to Badger.

As far as knives go....either Excel or X-acto are what you want.

The el cheapo ones if you look at them, the collet that the blade goes into is usually make of of plastic, and if you even barely over tighten them, they will strip the threads, thus rendering it useless. And you really don't need that much pressure to over tighten them, and the problem is, because they use plastic in them, you have to over tighten them in order for it to grip the bottom part of the blade so it isn't loose.

Sure you get usually 3 knives and a bunch of blades (most you will never use) for the price of one X-Acto branded one....but the X-Acto one will last you a life time, where as the el cheapo one you will be replacing next month.

Sprue cutters....no substitute for Xurons.

Cutting mats.....don't know if there is much difference between them, usually can pick up some decent ones at Walmart in the craft/material section. But you definitely want the self healing ones...usually about 1/4" thick at least, some of the cheap ones are less than half of that, and are basically just a hard surface, not really worth taking home.

Elm City Hobbies said:
As far as knives go....either Excel or X-acto are what you want.

The el cheapo ones if you look at them, the collet that the blade goes into is usually make of of plastic, and if you even barely over tighten them, they will strip the threads, thus rendering it useless. And you really don't need that much pressure to over tighten them, and the problem is, because they use plastic in them, you have to over tighten them in order for it to grip the bottom part of the blade so it isn't loose.

Sure you get usually 3 knives and a bunch of blades (most you will never use) for the price of one X-Acto branded one....but the X-Acto one will last you a life time, where as the el cheapo one you will be replacing next month.

Sprue cutters....no substitute for Xurons.

Cutting mats.....don't know if there is much difference between them, usually can pick up some decent ones at Walmart in the craft/material section. But you definitely want the self healing ones...usually about 1/4" thick at least, some of the cheap ones are less than half of that, and are basically just a hard surface, not really worth taking home.

Oh, you guys are talking about the blade handle and not the blade itself? For the handle, I agreed with you on Excel or X-acto but blade-wise, I uses generic China made ones.

B

I used to use generic blades, but honestly a good blade does last longer, plus I've had some of those generic ones that where pretty bad without any use.

Hey hooterville75,

My experience has been that I've bought a bunch of tools ranging from the el-cheapo all the way to the name brand. Sometimes I've bought the same tool because the el-cheapo broke etc. I have a funny feeling that I will constantly be updating tools, paints, etc. Case in point, I bought a squadron panel line scriber. It's a name brand item that a lot of people really like. Well, I didn't like it, it produced lines too bulky for my taste. So, I was a LHS just looking at stuff and found another scriber (no name brand, cheap) and picked it up and I love it! Nice crisp thin lines. Thats not too say the squadron is a "bad" tool, just my personal preference. I would say buy the stuff you can when you have the cash to do it. I'm sure you'll be around the hobby long enough that you will end up replacing stuff a few dozen times anyway.

Good luck!

Coming into this one a little late, and to be honest will fully read through later when I have more time!! ;D

For starters on the mat Hooter....check here: http://www.hobbylinc.com/cutting_mats I picked mine up here a few years back and love it. The price was crazy low since I have seen some 8"x10" mats for $30 elsewhere!! 12"x18" for $8 USD...can;t go wrong! Was shipped in under a week too!

Every cheap knife I have doesn't have plastic colet, but I wouldn't buy one with plastic either. That is just silly :)

My cutting matt has the same on both sides so you could say I got for the price off one :)

With one exception, every time I buy a cheap tool, I end up throwing it away because it does not perform like the branded stuff does.

The one exception is a set of file I bought at harbor freight tools. Those were much better than the expensive ones I bought at Lowes.

Thanks for all the info guys. Grendels, I was waiting for you to chime in throwing Harbor Freight in your post ha ha. If you didnt I was going to say Grendels, what about Harbor Freight hahahaha. I know what your talking about with the plastic colets. I was in my local building supply the other day and ran upon a $4.97 "Special Bin". A Three handle blade set. Looked legit, then realized why it was a "special bin" haha. The colet was like a rubberish, plastic. As much as it hurt to throw it back in the bin I had too lol. Its alot to consider when your buying these tools. I'm pretty much taking the approach of, buy what ya can now while getting started that you can afford, work with what ya have until you can start replacing stuff, then Ill start spending some money on the more "expensive, brands". (Unless a deal comes around on ebay or amazon haha).

An X-acto is only $2-3.00 and lasts forever. Coffee at DD or Hortens is $4.00 and lasts about 15 minutes. As for the blades, I like the pointy tip, not the 'angled tip' for your safety types. But again, $25.00 will buy 100 X-acto blades and last years, cheapies usually break, flex, or dull much faster because I don't think they get hardened correctly.

Latest posts

Back