To glue or not to glue, that is the question

Pantherman

Tamiya panther A build. Now going to start the wheels and have decided to glue them ready for painting before fitting. Instructions say not to but assume that's because it is designed as motorised. I am going to fit finished build in a diorama. Anyone potentially made the same mistake?
Irishvic

" have decided to glue them ready for painting before fitting. "
Meaning you're gluing them on prior to paint ?
Far easier to paint them completely , then attach them permanently . Like 1000 times easier since they're interleaved .

" have decided to glue them ready for painting before fitting. "
Meaning you're gluing them on prior to paint ?
Far easier to paint them completely , then attach them permanently . Like 1000 times easier since they're interleaved .
They have a type of moulded rubber plug which you fit into the wheels after attaching the wheels to the hull. I was going to glue the plug to the wheel so I could paint the wheel completely before fitting to the hull. That way I can do the hull and wheels completely separate, then attach with just some touching in to finish.

Attachments

• 20220416_194540.jpg
    20220416_194540.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 6
They have a type of moulded rubber plug which you fit into the wheels after attaching the wheels to the hull. I was going to glue the plug to the wheel so I could paint the wheel completely before fitting to the hull. That way I can do the hull and wheels completely separate, then attach with just some touching in to finish.
Appreciate the advice. I will post some photos after priming. Going to use an airbrush for the first time, got a timbertech one coming next week.
Irishvic

Appreciate the advice. I will post some photos after priming. Going to use an airbrush for the first time, got a timbertech one coming next week.
Irishvic
I have done a bit more work over the last few weeks so thought I'd update you with some photos. Just got some chain's and cables to add and then thought I would try some snow effects. Let me know what you think and any advice on the snow would be appreciated.
Irishvic

Attachments

• 20220730_182044.jpg
    20220730_182044.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220730_182000.jpg
    20220730_182000.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220730_182021.jpg
    20220730_182021.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220730_181950.jpg
    20220730_181950.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220730_182010.jpg
    20220730_182010.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220730_181933.jpg
    20220730_181933.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220711_204128.jpg
    20220711_204128.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220711_204121.jpg
    20220711_204121.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220711_204138.jpg
    20220711_204138.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220711_204035.jpg
    20220711_204035.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 9
That actually looks very realistic!! You did a great job. Yeah just glue those wheels. I did on the Hanomag that I started but cannot finish as I lost the shield for the gunner. I'll have to take my room apart to find it now! If you're not going to motorise it don't worry I glued my wheels as I plan to make it a diorama too.

That actually looks very realistic!! You did a great job. Yeah just glue those wheels. I did on the Hanomag that I started but cannot finish as I lost the shield for the gunner. I'll have to take my room apart to find it now! If you're not going to motorise it don't worry I glued my wheels as I plan to make it a diorama too.
Thanks, I decided to glue the wheels before I added the mud. Not sure if I will do a diorama just yet but possibly in the future. How's the shoulder doing, not to painful to stop your model making I hope?
Irishvic

Thanks, I decided to glue the wheels before I added the mud. Not sure if I will do a diorama just yet but possibly in the future. How's the shoulder doing, not to painful to stop your model making I hope?
Irishvic
My shoulder is a little better but I don't want to push it. I have been doing only little movements so as not to aggravate it any further. Thank you for asking and thank you for posting this thread. ;)

I have done a bit more work over the last few weeks so thought I'd update you with some photos. Just got some chain's and cables to add and then thought I would try some snow effects. Let me know what you think and any advice on the snow would be appreciated.
Irishvic
I just had to go back to look at this all over again. It's simply too beautiful for words. It's not overdone and it makes a perfect statement. Your skills are complete. Know now that you ARE a Jedi!! :)
:):)

I just had to go back to look at this all over again. It's simply too beautiful for words. It's not overdone and it makes a perfect statement. Your skills are complete. Know now that you ARE a Jedi!! :)
:):)
Wow, thanks so much for that, really appreciated. I will post the final photos when I have added the snow.
Irishvic

Wow, thanks so much for that, really appreciated. I will post the final photos when I have added the snow.
Irishvic
NOT wishing to be pedantic...... but even with the beautifully panzer grey and white camouflage, your Panther seems to have morphed into a Panzer 2, armed with a 20mm gun. I mention this as however hard you apply a lump hammer, 75mm into 20mm won't go. Am I looking at wrong attachments, or with everything going on in life, have I slipped into ' Martian Summer Time'?
So with that quick visit, I will wish you and all the members a good summer. I hope to find my mind less busy soon. John

Woooosh

I was joking about this thread starting out being about a Panther tank
Just testing you all, not. I am getting my Panthers mixed-up with my Panzers!!! This is indeed a panzer II. I will have to get one tank finished before I start another in future to avoid any confusion .
Irishvic

NOT wishing to be pedantic...... but even with the beautifully panzer grey and white camouflage, your Panther seems to have morphed into a Panzer 2, armed with a 20mm gun. I mention this as however hard you apply a lump hammer, 75mm into 20mm won't go. Am I looking at wrong attachments, or with everything going on in life, have I slipped into ' Martian Summer Time'?
So with that quick visit, I will wish you and all the members a good summer. I hope to find my mind less busy soon. John
I think I will have to invest in glasses rather than a lump hammer to make sure I can see the difference between a panther and a panzer. Having fun doing both at the same time but it does complicate things!!
Irishvic

Thank creation, It's not 'Martian Summer Time' & I can cancel the appointment with the Doc, to ask about side effects from my happy meds.
It also goes to prove that all the AFV Recognition learning during AFV Gunnery training at Lulworth in 1976, must have stuck to my memory as intended.
Any road up, it looks good and I will look out for your progress, Snow doubt..... Hmmmmm. John

Thank creation, It's not 'Martian Summer Time' & I can cancel the appointment with the Doc, to ask about side effects from my happy meds.
It also goes to prove that all the AFV Recognition learning during AFV Gunnery training at Lulworth in 1976, must have stuck to my memory as intended.
Any road up, it looks good and I will look out for your progress, Snow doubt..... Hmmmmm. John
Oh dear, don't snow if i can come up with any puns like that but I will keep you posted on my wintery progress
Irishvic

This is really looking good. I tried homemade snow with glue, white paint, and baking soda. Very bad decision on my part. That build is now on my “do not do this again” shelf.

Latest posts

Back