Think I'm gonna jump in with a...........Tomcat?

redraider56

Seeing as finally finished up my two fighters (havn't gotten any pictures yet), I suppose I'll jump aboard this group build. I have a 1/48 Revell F-14D that's been sitting on the bottom of the stash for awhile, so I'm gonna pull that out and do it. It'll mainly be a quick build, nothing special, and won't be totally accurate. The cockpit included in the kit is for an A model, but no one should notice under a closed canopy. Probably won't be any AM stuff, but I may "borrow" the SJU-17 resin seats I already have for a future F-18 build. I'm just looking at a quick build here. I won't be starting til around the holidays when I go home for Christmas.

f-14d_super_tomcat-4729_7912_n.jpg

Markings will be for VFA-31 Tomcatters

F-14-New.10.jpg

Sounds great! And on a side note you must be enjoying the football season so far...10-0!

Hodges said:
Sounds great! And on a side note you must be enjoying the football season so far...10-0!

The Packers are 10 - 0 !?! :eek:

Sorry, I don't follow football much anymore obviously. Of course my wife the Cheesehead just confirmed. :p

Hodges said:

11-0 now...amazing season so far!

I've got the cockpit done and will get pics up probly on monday. It isn't turning out to be quite the quick build I imagined but it still should go relatively quick. Seems like every single part has an enormous ejector pin mark on it that will need to be filled. But, the build goes on.

I 've decided I will be building a 1/48 Hasegawa F-4J as well and in the same markings as the Tomcat. A long winter break from college should allow me to finish both of these with time to spare

Decided against the F-4J....dont feel like spending money on all the AM things I want for it, so I'm going with Revell's F-8 Crusader instead. Got the kit and a True Details cockpit for less than the cost of the Has F-4

Looking forward with your build, Red :) although the Tomcat looks nice ;D

redraider56 said:
Decided against the F-4J....dont feel like spending money on all the AM things I want for it, so I'm going with Revell's F-8 Crusader instead. Got the kit and a True Details cockpit for less than the cost of the Has F-4

Last gunfighter, one of my favorites. Nice choice as no one is building one yet.

Fuselage on the Tomcat is all buttoned up although I'm worried about the seam by the cockpit since the tub was warped and it took a bit of super glue to get it to stay. Forgot my camera, so none of my pics are with me :-[

As for the F-8, I need some help deciding on the markings. The decals are for:

VMF-312

f8-2.jpg

and VF-211

f8-6.jpg

All I can see is "Sorry direct linking to our photos is not allowed" ???

The work around for it is usually to copy the link, and past it into a new browser window.
And that does work for these

I just had a "D'oh!" moment. I just realized there are multiple boxings of Revell's 1/48 F-14D and when I bought the kit last year I made the mistake of getting the older boxing that had the wrong cockpit, limited weapons and bad decals. The newer boxing has been updated to include the right cockpit components, a large arsenal of weapons and a big nice sheet of decals. I guess that's how it goes

Latest posts

Back