The Prototype - abusing a Sherman

Hi all,

Here's my start for the Spring contest.
Usually I'm working on Warhammer 40K stuff, with a trend to steampunk and armor. But for this one I'll leave my comfort zone a bit :)

My idea is to create a scene with a very distinct Third Reich/Iron Sky flair and a sprinkle of WH40K. I envision an underground research facility, looking a bit like an old U-Boot bunker, a "prototype" in the center, with soldiers and researchers around it, while a group of officers take the "dog-and-pony-show" :)

In this early sketch you can see that I intended to use a bare-skeleton Pollux walker (without the weapons and armor) with an open cockpit, so one can see the "wired-in" pilot, and a whole bunch of people around it.
596770_sm-.jpg

In addition to my usual WH40K soldiers I decided to use some 1:48 Tamiya WWII German soldiers for this scene. They are a mis-purchase, as they usually don't fit the WH40K figures.
But for this I can mix the two, as the prototype is either built on a special planet, where the inhabitants are slimmer, or if on Dencara, these guys are from a different race with a different build, while the "real soldiers" are of the sturdy, bulky type.
Fluff for the win :)
596768_sm-.jpg

But the more I thought about it the less I liked the idea to use another Pollux-pattern walker. And looking through my closet (I'm a real "messy" when it comes to hobby parts) I came across these Sherman and Lee boxes I purchased on e-Bay - solely for the purpose of salvaging the road wheels.
596769_sm-.jpg

So why not build a prototype based on a Sherman?
This way I have the option to enter in the armor, Sci-fy, and diorama categories (if I can afford it that is).
596771_sm-.jpg

Decision made, I opted for this Sherman hull.
596772_sm-.jpg

I quickly shaved off the deck, to make room for some modifications.
596773_sm-.jpg

Since the prototype will be mostly without hatches (open) I also added some side walls to the lower hull.
596774_sm-.jpg

Then I cut out the new openings for the turret and the crew hatches.
The rear central hatch is for the commander, left for the loader, right for the gunner.
596775_sm-.jpg

Then I worked on the gun.
Since it's still a prototype, most of the armor and covers are missing and many pieces be visible.
596776_sm-.jpg

So I added a movable breech - the breech opens downwards, so there will be a auto loader from inside the vehicle.

596777_sm-.jpg

This is how the gun looks in comparison to the hull.
596778_sm-.jpg

Next I worked on the actual gun mount
596779_sm-.jpg

and it's position on the vehicle.
596780_sm-.jpg

To compensate for the recoil I added a set of rails on which the gun mount can move - I'm not sure if I'll add visible dampeners....
596781_sm-.jpg

I'm still undecided if I mount the rails forward like this
596783_sm-.jpg

or rather rearwards (gun mount aligns with the front of the turret base, or the rails align with the rear)
596782_sm-.jpg

The whole gun mount on the vehicle.
As you can see I aim for a low silhouette and great depression (so the gun can fire from the backside of a hill).
596784_sm-.jpg

I also added some modifications to the rear - with a section of the engine being visible.
596785_sm-.jpg

Most likely I will also keep the actual engine deck open, so a section of the engine may be visible.
But I'll decide on this later, so no details added yet.
596786_sm-.jpg

Finally I added most of the running gear last night.
This will be pretty much out of the box.
596787_sm-.jpg

I also added a WH40K Imperial Guard driver (sans the head so far).
596788_sm-.jpg

And this is how the vehicle looks so far.
596789_sm-.jpg

What do you think?
I have no name for this baby yet, but I think I will break with the Greek Deity tradition and use a more mundane naming approach.
Any suggestions?
I hope you like today's update and I look forward to your comments and feedback.
Cheers

Klaus

Smashing idea and nice walk-through the scratch work!

Thank you guys!

very little progress as time is still fleeting, but an update nevertheless.
I added some recoil dampeners and a breech mechanism to the gun.
597885_sm-.jpg

And I built a "sight" for the gunner. Since it is a prototype still in research and testing, the sight box is open, as a technician can access it.
597886_sm-.jpg

Next I looked into a more independent sight for the commander, using the design I used on the POLEMOS Urban Attack Vehicle.
597887_sm-.jpg
597895_sm-.jpg

Here you can see the mounted gunner sight.
597896_sm-.jpg
597897_sm-.jpg

But what about the commander sight?
597898_sm-.jpg

Is that looking OK? Or should I find a better position?
597899_sm-.jpg
Any ideas?

Since I want to add an auto-loader mechanism that may be visible I created some ammunition.
597888_sm-.jpg

For this I put a section of plastic card rod into my drill
597889_sm-.jpg

And then run it first across a rasp
597890_sm-.jpg

and then over some sandpaper.
597891_sm-.jpg

And with a little practice I get these nice shells :)
597893_sm-.jpg

With the idea to cast some more....
597894_sm-.jpg
597902_sm-.jpg
597903_sm-.jpg

After the first test cast for the ammo was successful I added some "Dencara-style" lights to the former Sherman,
597904_sm-.jpg

added some details to the engine and added first rivets.
597905_sm-.jpg

And this is how the little low profile tank hunter looks as of today.
597906_sm-.jpg

So what do you think, anything major still missing?
What about the commander sight?
I look forward to your C&C.
Cheers
Klaus

This is looking really cool. Not sure what's missing really...looks pretty sick.

Great idea with the ammo the casts came out really well :)

Dan B

Hi all,
thanks for your feedback. Seems my little trick for the shells is considered valuable ;)

Since the last update I worked on the auto-loading mechanism. It makes no sense to have such a low profile gun arrangement, if you can't get any shells in, right?
So here is the lifting mechanism, that will push the shell up into the breech.
598829_sm-.jpg

With a shell in the lower position,
598830_sm-.jpg

and a bit up - since it's not glued in position it kept sliding down while shooting the photo :)
598831_sm-.jpg

Since I don't want a loader to slam a round into the lift as each round is fired (which would also require the turret to come back to the 12 o'clock position for each reload) I designed a small 4-shot magazine.
598832_sm-.jpg

There should be two magazines - one on each side - to allow for two standard ammunition's.
598833_sm-.jpg
598834_sm-.jpg

And here you can see the "Kampfmittelanlage SKORPION"
598835_sm-.jpg

Or rather the "Versuchswaffenträger XI mit Kampfmittelanlage SKORPION und Kampfraumverbesserung ODIN"
598836_sm-.jpg

Sounds "official" enough, doesn't it?
598837_sm-.jpg

Next I assembled all the little tools and gadgets that were included in the Tamiya "WWII German Tank Crew Field Maintenance Set" 1:48.
Lots of ammo crates, a table, a ladder, some tool boxes, and some tools.
598838_sm-.jpg

And then I started to assemble them into the scene.
598839_sm-.jpg

Remember, that I'm trying to get a " Third Reich/Iron Sky flair and a sprinkle of WH40K. I envision an underground research facility, looking a bit like an old U-Boot bunker, a "prototype" in the center, with soldiers and researchers around it, while a group of officers take the "dog-and-pony-show". "

The tank will be on an elevated part of the facility - most likely with some tracks running on the ground and lots of concrete.
598840_sm-.jpg

The right end of the scene will be closed by a huge blast door, sealing the facility from the environment (but a little man-door on the side).
598841_sm-.jpg

And to give it some feeling of thickness I added some support beams.
598842_sm-.jpg

Maybe I'll add a running crane to these support beams.
598843_sm-.jpg

Since the Styrofoam doesn't really represent concrete any good, I casted some plates to simulate pre-casted concrete sections.
598844_sm-.jpg

I like the concrete effect.
598845_sm-.jpg

So, this is as far as I got.
598846_sm-.jpg

What do you think?
Cheers
Klaus

Very cool...

I suppose that you intend to represent more or less a Death Korps of Krieg environment, more or less??

I find it 100% OK
GW! :)
Cheers
Jelly

That sir is some great scratchbuilding...Luv the subject and the ammo is sweet... Great work sir... :)

Thank you guys!
You help me a lot.

Sorry for the longer silence, but the last two weeks were rather eventful.
I have some problems sleeping, actually haven't slept without pills for weeks, and the pills make me very drowsy. Plus lots of migraine - and the pills give me pimples :)
So I've been to MRT, but everything OK there, so it is "only" psycho-somatic...or as the doc said "on the fast lane to burnout"
So he considered me unfit for work, and I'm on medical leave for at least two weeks.

I can already feel some improvement, and yesterday was my 49th (!!! I'm OLD) birthday. I celebrated with my wife and I was able to enjoy the food and drink :)
Since I will also have a two week vacation lined up directly after Eastern, I will be off work for 4 weeks total. Right now it feels like this will do the trick and get me back into working order :)

Well, with that much time on my hands I DID get some stuff done. Not as much as I would normally have, but I'm quite pleased.

I wasn't quite satisfied with the concrete I created, so I created a new set of concrete.
601863_sm-.jpg

The structure is a lot better, and also the "boarded" style looks more realistic.
601864_sm-.jpg

So I created new molds and poured new sets of concrete sections.
601865_sm-.jpg

Looks better I think
601866_sm-.jpg

I also built a rolling door for the wall in the rear.
601867_sm-.jpg

Plus a running crane.
601868_sm-.jpg

Then I built the large blast door for the right wall.
601869_sm-.jpg

The scene is slowly coming together.
601870_sm-.jpg

The running gear for the crane
601871_sm-.jpg
601872_sm-.jpg

Then I added signal lights for the blast door,
601873_sm-.jpg

and side door,
601875_sm-.jpg

as well as a fluorescent light for one of the work areas.
601874_sm-.jpg

Then I built several detail items like this large console.
601877_sm-.jpg

All the little gadgets in position :)
601878_sm-.jpg

One final item I wanted to add were lights
601879_sm-.jpg

So I created rear wall mountings, using the corners of old sprues.
601880_sm-.jpg

and simple plastic card lamps
601881_sm-.jpg

I think it fits the atmosphere...
601882_sm-.jpg

Then I added the turret to the crane
601883_sm-.jpg
601884_sm-.jpg

And the final scene :D
601885_sm-.jpg

I'm very pleased with it.
The scene looks pretty much how I wanted it.
Now the actual figures need some attention, lots of mold line cleaning, some sculpting and details.
So, what do you think?
Cheers
Klaus

Phenomenal amount of work here. Great ideas and execution. To me the electronic panels looks a bit out of scale, a bit big, but if those are large scopes and such it will make sense.

This will look great under paint.

Scott Girvan said:
Phenomenal amount of work here. Great ideas and execution. To me the electronic panels looks a bit out of scale, a bit big, but if those are large scopes and such it will make sense.

This will look great under paint.
Thanks.
Yes, that's the curse of the "hero scale" for WH40K. But I used these in other WH40K displays and in the end they work out fine. I hope I make this happen here, in the kind of scale mix here too.

Again, thank you for your kind words and support.
I feel like I'm making some progress, but experienced some set-backs too.
Last week a good and dear friend, Christian Koppmeyer, died at 52 (https://www.facebook.com/groups/advancedsquadleader/10153999329070029/?notif_t=like) .
So quite some up and down.

But I started painting the diorama.
First evening the concrete received a blue-grey base color.
603584_sm-.jpg

And I added some yellow warning lines.
603585_sm-.jpg

The next evening I was able to add details to the warning lights and the small num-pad on the side of the man-door.
603586_sm-.jpg

In my vision of this scene I always envisioned a large Imperial logo on the wall.
So I started to paint this on the rear wall.
603587_sm-.jpg

And the name of the facility.
603588_sm-.jpg

But together with the sliding door....
603589_sm-.jpg
not so good :(

So the next evening I gave it another try and ended up with this.
603590_sm-.jpg
I like this much better.
So I added another warning slogan (Caution. Gate opens and closes automatically) to the front wall.
603591_sm-.jpg

Another evenings work was the painting of the sliding door.
Weathered and with some German labeling. (The pencil lines are no longer visible :) )
603592_sm-.jpg
It reads:
"Versuchsanlage Rheingold" -Test facility Rhinegold
and
"Sonder-Forschungsabteilung von Sonnenberg" - Special research facility "von Sonnenberg"
603593_sm-.jpg

Next was the gate.
Again weathered and with labels.
603594_sm-.jpg

And mounted into the diorama.
603595_sm-.jpg

The running track and the power cable for the crane got its base color.
603596_sm-.jpg
603597_sm-.jpg

And finally I started to paint the first items.
603598_sm-.jpg

Well, this is as far as I got.
I hope you like it.
Cheers
Klaus

Latest posts

Back